Looking for a winter hack up to £3,000.00

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve owned a Rover 75 since 2002 with the purchase of a new diesel Connoisseur.
Normally we changed our car after three to four years. The 75 diesel was replaced by a Jaguar XF in 2014 by which time we were already running a second 75, this time a 2.5 V6 Connoisseur.
This is now for sale (earlier post) and I’m running yet another 75 V6 Connoisseur SE.

They’re brilliant cars and very comfortable, the seating especially being far more comfortable than any Merc or Jaguar.
They also don’t cost a Kings Ransom to service and repair.
I can drive so much longer before requiring a rest with the 75 than our previous XF and even our CLS.

The spec on the Connoisseur models is very high even by today’s standard with heated electric seats.
We looked at a 14 plate CLS and didn’t buy it purely because it didn’t have heated seats.

Mazda 4x4 crew cab pickup (or a Ford Ranger, same truck), get the nicest one you can find for about £2500 and spend the rest on all terrain tyres. It won't be luxurious but the weather won't stop it and a good one will go for years with no problems, only thing ever stopped me in the snow in normal use was other stuck traffic, resorted to crossing a few grass verges in order to clear traffic jams more than once, the kids hated it 'cos they had no excuse not to get to school. Even an old one has a bit of cred and it turned out my missus loved it and was sad when i sold it, really need another one. :rolleyes::D

CIMG0955.jpg

2006 Blue JAGUAR S-TYPE 2.7 D V6 Sport 4dr for sale for £2290 in Chelmsford, Essex

I tend to use the MOT history to build up a picture of how well-loved a car is in addition to seeing it and speaking to the owner/vendor.

I wouldn't use the MOT history, my dad uses E class Mercs as cabs, he sends them in to be pre MOT'd and fixed before they go for the test so the records show they never fail on anything when in reality some of them have a few grands worth of work done in order to get them through, my Audi did 5 years in a row with no advisories and nothing but regular servicing, even the time it failed it only wanted a rear calliper unsticking, trouble is from looking at the MOT history you casn't tell the difference.

I wouldn't use the MOT history, my dad uses E class Mercs as cabs, he sends them in to be pre MOT'd and fixed before they go for the test so the records show they never fail on anything when in reality some of them have a few grands worth of work done in order to get them through, my Audi did 5 years in a row with no advisories and nothing but regular servicing, even the time it failed it only wanted a rear calliper unsticking, trouble is from looking at the MOT history you casn't tell the difference.

You've nothing to lose using it as it will highlight the cars which have been unloved and haven't had the history covered up - and there are plenty where you can see the history.

But like anything, there's no guarantee and it wont reveal all.

You can't rely on any single metric here short of knowing the car itself (owned by someone known and / or trusted).

I am aware that some cars are leased and have been clocked back from 3x > 10x or more times the mileage and gone through the first MOT with a low mileage - so that doesn't show up either.

But that's why I stated you need to see it and speak to the owner / vendor to get a feel for it. I wouldn't buy a car without a thorough inspection.

If after all that you buy one that is a higher mileage and / or has had all the work done, and there is nothing to indicate the contrary even after inspection, does it really matter anyway? There's not much you can do about it anyway unless you buy new all the time or from people you know.

At the £3k price level, you've not got a huge liability anyway.

Yeah that's true, its pocket money really any car at that price is a risk, my ol' man sends his down to his mates to sell, he has a big house that looks posh from the front but he actually bought it for the big yard out the back. Looks like you are turning up to buy a car from a well off guy upgrading to a newer car but he's a bit of a chancer in reality, can't be to careful these days.

Yeah that's true, its pocket money really any car at that price is a risk, my ol' man sends his down to his mates to sell, he has a big house that looks posh from the front but he actually bought it for the big yard out the back. Looks like you are turning up to buy a car from a well off guy upgrading to a newer car but he's a bit of a chancer in reality, can't be to careful these days.

I usually assume everyone is a shyster until I'm convinced otherwise!

Has not let me down yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom