Looking for a winter hack up to £3,000.00

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MWCLS

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320 CDI Perlite Gray Metallic 2005
So I've put the W220 away for winter, looking for something actually quite open to any Marque.. engine size diesel or petrol.

I've driven my wife mad looking at the auto trader!

I've even managed to bore my self silly with chopping and changing ideas.

I need something fairly big maybe not S Class size all the same i just don't gel with small manuals So needs to be auto to.

Any ideas.. I've been looking at w210s I'm a older generation mercedea fan. I know they have like the w220 the dreaded rot.. that's why I have taken my w220 off the road I don't want to drive it on salt riden roads especially as I have spent quite alot of money to get it to where it is now - plus there isn't even a sign any rust.

My neighbour up the road is a mechanic with a 4 post lift in his garage and we removed the arch wells and cleaned and protected it all along with the arch lips.

It almost seems a shame to drive it. I always end up doing this I promised my self I wouldn't... famous last words!

Any ideas? Something with a bit of presence... wife says buy a ford focus. They are probably good cars.. but not for me!

Any ideas welcome!

Fancy a Shogun 3.2 DI-D?

Ours is potentially up for sale. Definitely has presence and practically bulletproof.

W211 is a good choice for you .You want presence ,comfortable ,everyday usable.Also is safe.You don't want to slide with a small car .
I know it is big car but it is Mercedes Benz and doesn't cost too much .

Easy choice...
W163 ML

I have a w211 which is a bit of a project car, it’s a 320 v6 petrol with full AMG kit, wheels and exhaust from factory. It’s a cat D but the only damage was a cracked rear bumper which has since been made good although needs a proper respray if you would want it perfect (it was my brother in laws and we bought it back from insurance). 140k miles, very good history, keyless go (entry doesn’t work, probably needs a handle), needs MOT but all it needs is rear tyres (which I have a pair included) and rear disks to pass.

I’ll let it go very cheap as I need it gone having just bought a w204 coupe! PM me if you are interested!

I have a w211 which is a bit of a project car, it’s a 320 v6 petrol with full AMG kit, wheels and exhaust from factory. It’s a cat D but the only damage was a cracked rear bumper which has since been made good although needs a proper respray if you would want it perfect (it was my brother in laws and we bought it back from insurance). 140k miles, very good history, keyless go (entry doesn’t work, probably needs a handle), needs MOT but all it needs is rear tyres (which I have a pair included) and rear disks to pass.

I’ll let it go very cheap as I need it gone having just bought a w204 coupe! PM me if you are interested!

Sounds good. I'll message you tom early start tom.

there's a sweet blue C32 on auto trader for £3500.00 i,m sure you could knock them down. I have been really considering it myself but i think my missus would crack :(

I can only add to the W211 sentiments. I bought mine two and a half years ago for £4K. E320 CDI Avantgarde with 104k and in the last 26k it has cost me very little but feels as good as the day I got it. Actually after a remap in the summer it’s even better.

I know these can be picked up for way less than I paid and it really is a car that can do everything. I use it for regular long journeys but it can do a bit of everything.

258b762cc308464191a98fc4f5735053.jpg

W210, or S210 are great. If you know what you're looking for, and have some time to play with, it's the ideal answer especially if you find one that's been garaged. Here's a cute one on 73k for £2k:

2001 Beige MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS 2.6 E240 Elegance 4dr for sale for £2000

Personally, I'd go for this cute black one for £2500 on just 40k miles

2002 Black MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS E200 kompressor for sale for £2500

01e7d485ba784f07bf33a4c44e14ff69.jpg

If your budget really is £3k, then limit yourself to £2,500, because you'll find something that you want to fix; tyres, servicing, repair or what ever. So £500 in the repair budget would be a good idea.

A C class would be even cheaper, but from your comments it's probably too small.

Finally don't forget the £300 Road Tax !! The clowns in Government are using old cars as a way of raising extra money to waste on HS2 and Crossrail via road tax and new car VAT. The good news is that it pushes used car prices down, the bad news is that it's a HUGE chunk of cash to pay out when you buy.

Last edited:
I have always had a bit of a thing for these Subaru Outbacks: -

s-l1600.jpg

Outback green.jpg

Both under £3k and look a bit "lived in" but I've had a couple of them with the 3.0 boxer engine and they're a good reliable go anywhere piece of kit. A lot of farmers up around here used to own these, which says a lot about the cars, as farmers aren't exactly renowned for spending money. I changed my last one for a Jeep Grand Cherokee and regretted it. The Subaru was probably the best all rounder I owned.

Heated leather with plenty of toys, yet they fly under the radar unless you know about them really. They're basically the Legacy but on stilts. I'd have another one in a heartbeat but moved on to more stupid things of late. :(

These two are currently on the bay of dreams at £2,795 & £2,650 respectively, though I'm sure that there will be a bit of wriggle room.

Just don't expect mid 30s in the mpg side of things, low 20s would be more realistic,

View attachment 82053

View attachment 82054

Both under £3k and look a bit "lived in" but I've had a couple of them with the 3.0 boxer engine and they're a good reliable go anywhere piece of kit. A lot of farmers up around here used to own these, which says a lot about the cars, as farmers aren't exactly renowned for spending money. I changed my last one for a Jeep Grand Cherokee and regretted it. The Subaru was probably the best all rounder I owned.

Heated leather with plenty of toys, yet they fly under the radar unless you know about them really. They're basically the Legacy but on stilts. I'd have another one in a heartbeat but moved on to more stupid things of late. :(

These two are currently on the bay of dreams at £2,795 & £2,650 respectively, though I'm sure that there will be a bit of wriggle room.

Just don't expect mid 30s in the mpg side of things, low 20s would be more realistic,
Two years ago I was REALLY into these Outbacks. 3 litre petrol in Rn trim is the one to go for, I think they are all automatic. It pulls like a train, the interior is very nice with SatNav, full leather, pano and has loads of space in the back. If you think going for one of these check the Y exhaust pipe where the exhaust splits to two pipes, at the back, almost all I saw then had that bit blown and is not a cheap fix.

I’ve got a very nice 2002 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur Auto for sale at the moment with 60k on the clock.
It’s sitting ready for a fresh MOT (included in sale) I’m looking for £2,200
Its got loads of extras some of which I fitted like wood trims etc and has a detachable tow bar with 13 pin electrics. It also has a duplex (twin outlet) stainless exhaust from Cat back.
The car is in a very tidy condition, fully serviced with recent cam belt change. It was my pride and joy until I found another 75 last year with more extras.

So I've put the W220 away for winter, looking for something actually quite open to any Marque.. engine size diesel or petrol.

Any ideas welcome!

Does it have to be a 4-Door?

Whoops: mea culpa: definitely don't buy a manual E200. But that E240 for E2000 still keeps you in the Mercedes fold.

Outbacks are great cars, and well worth considering, but I suspect you'll think they're a bit American, and a bit small, after the W220. (They're made in Lafayette, Indiana)

Needs to be auto...

Whoops: mea culpa: definitely don't buy a manual E200. But that E240 for E2000 still keeps you in the Mercedes fold.

Outbacks are great cars, and well worth considering, but I suspect you'll think they're a bit American, and a bit small, after the W220. (They're made in Lafayette, Indiana)
I had both engines in my E's and must say 200 kompressor was a better lump. It was very reliable and pulled really well. Beeing a kompressor not turbo meant there is no lag you usually get on turbo ones. Fantastic engine. I loved that car a lot.IMG00080-20120420-1248.jpg

View attachment 82053

View attachment 82054

I had 6 in a row for work, v good!

Whilst I wouldnt think of it as a winter hack, it certainly has presence, and ive been toying with the idea of selling it for some time, but whenever I drive it (not much these day's) it puts a smile back on my face, having said that, iv'e just lost my Garage so its temporarily in an underground parking space that belongs to a friend.
79900 miles Genuine, with full service history and loads of bills, bought from an MB Club member and enjoyed by me for the last 3 years or so. £3000. and it's only 15 minutes up the road from you ;-)Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom