Looking for advice about buying an E250 W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBGirl

Car
e250
Hi all.

This is my first post here.

I'm looking to buy an E250 Diesel. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money compared to some of you guys on here. I don't do a lot of miles either, around 5k per year. So I'm looking at a high milage car.

So, I do like the look and feel of the E250 from 2011/12 (W212?). Had a couple of test drives of them and I do love the 7G tronic. Thing is, what are the main things to look for? My budget is around £4500.

I've recently seen a nice one with the 7G tronic gear box but have not test drove it yet. From the pics, it looks nice but the walnut bits in the car are faded. So, is that a bad sign? And can it be fixed?

Any help would be great and mega appreciated.
Thanks x

welcome to the forums. From experience they are great cars to own but the following issues might come up from a badly maintained W212:
  1. Mixing oil and coolant - not that serious. A separate oil cooler unit costs around £150 plus labour to replace.
  2. Leaking oil - serious issue
  3. Needing a timing chain - £2k
  4. Power steering wheel might be leaking or becoming heavy. I never fixed it on mine but the steering wheel was making a heavy noise when you turned the wheels fully
  5. Engine mounts (like most MBs). When the mounts go off you will have a horrible vibration and noise in the cabin. MB replaced mine for £300
  6. Wheel bearings - nothing serious but it significantly improves ride quality.
  7. Some models have the older DPF sensor which gives massively off readings on how badly clogged the filter is and the ECU refuses to execute a cycle. Easily replaced for £100-150 at an indie
  8. 7g tronic (not specific to this car) People refuse to service them this leads to a lot of problems like needing a new TCU plate (£1100 new)

If your looking for an E250 I presume its the om651 engine.
They can (Not all) suffer timing chain wear, my C class did and it was £700 approx to replace, Rattle at cold start (clack clack sound) Dont panic its no major issue if sorted quickly.
Other issues are coolant leaks from the water pump (easy repair) and fuel filter housing around the bottom of the fuel filter.

Engine mounts can go bad.
Make sure the 7G box has had its oil changed and all the gear changes are smooth. Check the handbrake (foot pedal) as they can stick, no major issue.

Apart from that pretty robust motors. Compared to a lot of BMW's and Audis they are strong... I would make sure you buy on condition and not milage. Make sure the previous owner has kept up with servicing correctly. And that the car has been well looked after. A neglected Merc will always cost £££ in repairs. They need looking after but will reward you if you do.

Happy hunting..

Some good advice given, and as said it’s paramount to buy a vehicle with plenty of history. Any marque will fail if it’s not regularly serviced, whatever engine fitted.

Many thanks for your help.

The seller of the car I'm looking to buy says that occasionally it makes a very slight noise when put into park but he was reliably informed that a full gearbox service will sort that out. It's the 7G-Tronic box.

Does that sound normal?

The seller of the car I'm looking to buy says that occasionally it makes a very slight noise when put into park but he was reliably informed that a full gearbox service will sort that out. It's the 7G-Tronic box.

Does that sound normal?
I would ask why if its a cheap and easy fix he hasn't had it done?

As above there are a few common problems with these cars. In addition to the above there have been some reports of rear subframes rusting on the 212 model. None of the problems are catastrophic on their own but if you buy the wrong car at this price level you could quite easily end up with a large four figure repair bill. If you have 2-3k set aside for repairs then fine, if not get a car inspected by a mercedes independent who knows the cars.
Aside from that if you're only doing a low mileage and you're on a budget then a good petrol car (not necessarily a mb, some petrol mb's are best avoided) is likely to be a better buy.

Thanks guys.

I'm slowly thinking of walking away from it to be honest. I'm not sure what to do.

For your planned mileage, wouldn't a petrol version be better?

I love my E250 (albeit a wagon) of the age you're looking at - mine's a 2011. Pre-covid ive been on long Euro trips fully laden and it's just such a brilliant tool. But equally good for pottering around - it has a brilliant turning circle so easy to maneuver and park. Main cost on mine has been air suspension (whole system renewed) but the saloon will likely be on springs so not an issue. Mine has had engine and trans mount - transformed the car and not that expensive, few hundred quid. It's a lot of car for the money - thousands of taxi drivers can't be wrong is my viewpoint. There will always be the diesel vs petrol decision. I would be really torn if buying again but the petrols seem pretty rare.

Does that sound normal?

Not normal at all. I wouldnt touch it because if the gearbox has been out of oil for a decade, chances are the solinoids or TCU plate are messed up as well. Ask them to service it or take £500 off the car as Mercedes will charge for that. As a golden rule of thumb, if a car has at least one service "shortcut" in its history, it means the previous owner(s) couldnt care less and couldnt wait to dump it on to someone.

Thanks Riva.

I've recently had a text from the buyer, he says its quite a quiet sound, it's intermittent and it's like a very slight whirring sound.

Does that ring any bells with anyone?

The car has a full dealer service history up until 2017. Independent garages from then on but I can't find any data on those.

Thanks Riva.

I've recently had a text from the buyer, he says its quite a quiet sound, it's intermittent and it's like a very slight whirring sound.

Does that ring any bells with anyone?

The car has a full dealer service history up until 2017. Independent garages from then on but I can't find any data on those.
yes the gearbox is in urgent need of an oil change. This was the same situation with my uncles W212 that I inherited, MB service history up to 2016 then my uncle was servicing it at his guy who was clueless with MB cars. Gear changes were jittery and when we plugged it to the MB star diagnosis for testing the engine light came up and complained a specific solenoid was faulty. If you feel its a risk you can take, here are your options:
  1. Simple service might fix it - £430 done at MB dealership. My CL500 had the same issue and the diagnostic complained about solenoids from time to time but as soon as I had it serviced, it worked like a charm.
  2. You might need a new TCU or solenoids, the solenoids are relatively cheap but the TCU isnt. A new TCU is £1100 as new just the part and it needs to be coded in the car. Alternatively, you can take your TCU off and send it to be rebuilt for £300-500 and refitted (See on ebay)

Hi all.

This is my first post here.

I'm looking to buy an E250 Diesel. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money compared to some of you guys on here. I don't do a lot of miles either, around 5k per year. So I'm looking at a high milage car.

So, I do like the look and feel of the E250 from 2011/12 (W212?). Had a couple of test drives of them and I do love the 7G tronic. Thing is, what are the main things to look for? My budget is around £4500.

I've recently seen a nice one with the 7G tronic gear box but have not test drove it yet. From the pics, it looks nice but the walnut bits in the car are faded. So, is that a bad sign? And can it be fixed?

Any help would be great and mega appreciated.
Thanks x
hey,

I've just completed a three stage paint on a customers new to him E250 2011 3door (88'000miles) , He had just purchased it at 10years old, think he paid £8500,paint was in poor condition and he has had to replace the drivers seat, other than that nothing much else, now its paint has been corrected and enhanced, its seems a lot of car for the money.

i would imagine the walnut could be replaced or wrapped, most interior parts are removable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom