Looking for advice on either a CL500 E500 or CLK500 for £12k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RDB85

Car
Mercedes CL
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a new car for work. I do around 5k a year so I’ve decided that I want to buy something unusual. I’ve been looking at a few cars from the E500, CL500 and CLK500 I am just after some advice from previous owners who have owned them, any issues and roughly the costs of maintaining them.

Ive accepted the low fuel economy and high tax, as your only here once, so may as well have some fun.

A few cars I’ve seen:

E500

CLK500:

CL500:

That's a diesel CLK.....

The E class is understated, won't get a second look from most but will make a lovely noise and be great on a run.
CLK is getting on a bit if you can find a V8
The CL could be costly.

Can't offer anymore than that, but this will bump your question back to the top.
If you'd consider a V6, the E class choice is much wider

That's a diesel CLK.....

The E class is understated, won't get a second look from most but will make a lovely noise and be great on a run.
CLK is getting on a bit if you can find a V8
The CL could be costly.

Can't offer anymore than that, but this will bump your question back to the top.
If you'd consider a V6, the E class choice is much wider

Thanks for that they have a CLK500

I’m open to a V6 also. I do like the E class as it looks understated.

I agree it's a real Q car.
Tax is ouch, but power is 25% more than in the CLK which is, still, getting on a bit (but looks great mind you)
The uniqueness of the e500 would make it really interesting.

I have a V6 E class, but the V8 sound is a league above, even a non AMG, if that's on the important list

If you can be happy with ABC suspension potential failure costs the CL500 has the best presence im my opinion.
If you go for a w215 get the latest one you can, plenty around 5k but be picky.
I love mine but they are dearer to maintain
20210618_003023.jpg

Last edited:
If you can be happy with ABC suspension potential failure costs the CL500 has the best presence im my opinion.
If you go for a w215 get the latest one you can, plenty around 5k but be picky

What sort of costs are we talking compared with the E Class and CLS

Find a good indy and maybe 50% more on ABC suspension vs airmatic but a lot can be saved by meticulous maintenance

IT philosopher says you can’t define suitability without defining requirements.

You’re choosing between three platforms: C class, E class and S class. Each have their strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats. And each has different history of usage.

Try to put aged parents or three kids into the back of a CL or CLK and you’ll struggle. Likewise parallel parking CL is a hassle for … some spouses.

To prescribe the solution we need to understand requirement. It’s not “just” about predicting faults and poor maintenance in 15 year old cars.

Come, come. Must try harder. 5k miles a year. SL is the way to go, as you said, only here once, and i will add. Long time dead.

"For what it's worth," personally I'd go for the £10k 2010 E500 as the low risk, low maintenance cost option, given that it's 90,000 miles with one couple after originally being a Mercedes staff car. Just make sure it's been serviced recently.

At twice the age, the CL and CLK carry bigger age and maintenance related risks.

925744a3d03e4a3e8e22856566c30303.jpg

As a CLK (350) owner all I can say is that I probably wouldn’t want to drive it as a daily. Mine is a Sunday car. Does 1,000 miles a year always with the roof down. But as a car, it feels pretty dated and more like taking out a classic than something modern. I love it to bits for what it is, but other cars will feel way more modern. That said they are cheap and they still look lovely. Out of your list I’d go for a CL and have a contingency fund for the ABC!

To add.....

If you can afford a V8, do it now as they're not long for this planet.
The E500 is a safe bet and looks in fantastic condition for the miles, but a little anonymous (which might suit you)
The CL has the kerb appeal, but be prepared (based on owners experiences on here) - I couldn't live with the wood though

The CLS has the same (excellent) M276 V6 Engine as mine and would be the lower running cost all in, but as above, whats on the important and even must be able to do, list.

If you explain those we can join you properly in the debate and drool over some of the options...:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom