Looking for advice on purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willie45

Car
C220 CDI Blue Efficiency SE
Hi folks. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

First off I know absolutely nothing about cars and so if you could bear that in mind and make any replies idiot proof I'd be most grateful :) Also I currently own a Skoda so no jokes at my expense please :D

I'm looking to buy a second hand Mercedes diesel automatic and hope to get the model most likely to last for a long time. I'm a bit worried having read about issues some models seem to be having re reliability. This was disappointing as I've always believed Mercs were noted for their robust build and integrity.

Anyway I mailed someone for help and he advised me to avoid all models with piezoelectric fuel injectors. I don't know what models have these though. I am wondering if this is the "Blue Efficiency" range. Is this right?

I'm looking at something like a C220 CDI SE saloon, probably around 3 or 4 years old or perhaps an E220 CDI Avantgarde saloon of similar age.

If I avoid the "Blue Efficiency" range is reliability of these models pretty good?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Willie

Now't wrong with a Skoda, that was my car prior to getting my first Merc 18 months ago. The W204 (latest shape) C class seem to be OK, I have the CDI 200, now 3 1/2 years old, the 220 has a little more grunt, not that I've felt underpowered, depends on what you want, I'm looking for comfortable with adequate power, not a boy racer machine. There were some injector problems on the early Blue Efficiency but I think they have all probably been recalled and fixed now.

Thanks for your reply Artyman. I am off to check out a C220Di on Friday. Seems like that might fit the bill nicely :)

The early Blue Efficiency had problems with their injectors. I think it was a manufacturing fault. We saw quite a few in the early days on the forum, but have not seen any for a while. I suspect the faulty ones have been sorted now.

If you want a long lasting car with a proven engine avoid the new blue efficient engines. They have a complex manifold and two turbo set up and have not been in the market long. In short they are an unknown quantity and do not have a proven track record.

What you really want is a 2007 to 2008 C class or 2006 to 2009 E class (the w211 not the w212). These have the pre blue efficiently engine and are proven to be durable and have a very high reliability record. They do have just the one turbo but are plenty quick and for a long term owner more suitable. Either of these in 220cdi non blue efficiency would be a great car for the OP.

Thanks again folks. I only came back on tonight and saw the recent posts. I bought a car today so I didn't benefit from them I'm afraid. I have also looked at BMW and they seem to have had problems too. Ah well!

I spoke to a few sales staff from various places and they all said the same thing; that the injector problems were gone. They said it was a bad period for many people caused by bad injectors being supplied. M-B couldn't get enough from alternative manufacturers and so had to replace the same manufatcuers ones over and again in some cases. They have used different ones for years now and I was told that the issue was long gone.

I did buy a C220CDi today. It is a Blue Efficiency model and I hope there are no issues. I take on board the point about BE models but I don't feel it is reasonable to have to buy a car several years old to ensure it works.

Anyway the deed is done and I will have to hope for the best.

Thanks again everyone.

Nothing is immune from problems though so you can be unlucky in whatever you buy.

I've read the "What's bad" on Honest John before for some of my previous cars and it is horrific.

However, I've not as yet experienced any horror.

Sometimes you've just got get on with it and take a punt...

Good luck with it.

Hi Willie,

Nice choice of car and congratulations on your new car. Any pictures of your new pride and joy? Is it the Sport or SE trim?

I've not heard anything about the Blue Efficiency engine problems recently, but I recall there were two complaints:
1) Injector problems which have probably been sorted by now
2) Reports of really poor fuel economy, considerably worse than the non-blue-efficiency models they replaced. This would worry me more, as no manufacturer guarantees that you will get the stated mpg figures (or anywhere near), so if you end up with a modestly-powered car that drinks like a performance car there is no comeback.

I wouldn't risk buying one of these alleged economy models without an extended test-drive to work out what mpg it really gives.

Ummmm! I'm not sure whether to be happy or depressed here

Anyway, I have bought the beast and I guess if M-B are as good as their word, I can replace it in the next month for a non Blueefficiency model? Performance certainly seemed good when I took my test drive!

I will wait and see. Meantime I will be optimistic and rejoice in my purchase for better or worse :bannana:

I'm not sure it the emoticon thing is appropriate but it looked sort of funky and I liked it :)

Last edited:
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Enjoy the car. If its under new-car MB warranty, dont worry about things too much.

Derek

So have you bought with 7 speed box?

Last edited:
Hi again. The car is new to me but is a second hand 2009 model. I believe the gearbox is 5 speed. I'm hoping for the best here and will let you guys know if any problems. I believe I can swap it in the next month if not happy so time will tell

Last edited:
Thanks. I hope so. Its always a bit of a worry when you dont know about cars :)

Well I picked it up on Wednesday. Unfortunately had a family bereavement so I had to drive up to Scotland that day and back today. This means I've already used up my 1,000 miles option to exchange it if not satisfied. I have to say I do like it though :)

Going up, mostly motorway but with a bit of town driving too I was getting 53.9mpg and on the way back 54.8mpg. I wasn't crawling along at 50mph either. I was sticking to 70 exactly whenever possible, though I was stuck in a few jams on the M1 on the way up and stopped off here ant there on the way back. All in all I really like the car and am pretty pleased with the economy which compares well to the Skoda diesel I have before.

Thanks for all your advice on the subject :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom