Looking for an AV sender which uses Wi-Fi network

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
We have a Virgin Media box for cable TV in the living room, and have a traditional wireless video sender to transmit the signal to our bedroom. We can't change channels with this set up but it works well, albeit sometimes pick up some interference. That said I'm thinking of replacing it...

...because I'm considering installing some wall-mounted iPads in various rooms around the house, and whilst we can watch Freeview on the iPads via the Internet, we can't watch the premiums channels we have access to from Virgin, or more to the point I can't watch Discovery Turbo on an iPad!! :D

So does anyone know of a device that I can attach to the Virgin Media box which will transmit the signal across our Wi-Fi network so we can watch Virgin TV on our iPads?

I know this doesn't help really

but if it were sky you could do this a lot easier?

I'm trying to think what you may need Lindy have a lot of gagets that may be of use?

So does anyone know of a device that I can attach to the Virgin Media box which will transmit the signal across our Wi-Fi network so we can watch Virgin TV on our iPads?

Closest thing I can think of is Slingbox: Slingbox - Country Selector

It's really designed for watching your TV channels whilst your away from home but no reason why it shouldn't work for what you want. I'd come across it before but never used it. The guy that bought our flat a few years ago used it with Virgin to watch TV back in the States (he spends half his time in the UK & half in the US).

I know this doesn't help really

but if it were sky you could do this a lot easier?

I'm trying to think what you may need Lindy have a lot of gagets that may be of use?

Even regular video senders are better for Sky than Virgin.

I think I saw a link to Lindy when I google Wifi sender this morning. Will go take a look.

Closest thing I can think of is Slingbox: Slingbox - Country Selector

It's really designed for watching your TV channels whilst your away from home but no reason why it shouldn't work for what you want. I'd come across it before but never used it. The guy that bought our flat a few years ago used it with Virgin to watch TV back in the States (he spends half his time in the UK & half in the US).

Good call - I had the same thought. It's a touch pricey but appears to work seamlessly with full control - you can even watch recorded programmes.

I'm guessing it will hammer my broadband connection though as it will generate outgoing and incoming traffic concurrently.

If I can't find something which will contain the traffic within the home Wi-Fi network, then a Slingbox may be the next best option.

Good call - I had the same thought. It's a touch pricey but appears to work seamlessly with full control - you can even watch recorded programmes.

I'm guessing it will hammer my broadband connection though as it will generate outgoing and incoming traffic concurrently.

If I can't find something which will contain the traffic within the home Wi-Fi network, then a Slingbox may be the next best option.

It may be worth researching the network impact - I think that some routers may be smart enough to not route the traffic like that, although that also assumes that the traffic doesn't need to be routed anywhere near anything that Slingbox may have in the cloud.

As I've never used it, I'm afraid I can't speak authoratively about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom