Looking for an interesting, comfortable cruiser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moultoneer

Car
CLK320
Hi all. Just joined as I'm looking for a car to fit the title.

I don't own a Mercedes at the moment but have owned a trusty, but eventually rusty old 123 300d and also had a flirtation with a 500sec, (which was sold to a gentleman from Germany.)

From March I'm going to be based in Gosport and around every 3 weeks I will be travelling back up to Durham for a weekend. Soooo, I'm thinking that a half decent "older" Merc might make the trips a bit more enjoyable.

I know that something like a Mondeo or a Passat would probably be prefect but I wouldn't enjoy owning one.

I'm not a boy racer and am happy tootling along around 65ish. Between trips the car will probably see very little, if any use.

So what do I fancy risking? Well, I like 126s and, as of quite late, 124s. Probably a saloon rather than a coupe because I'll want to carry my push bike. The models I have mainly been looking at are 300/420 SEs and 300E/E300Ds.

I have already spent a good while reading about lots of potential pitfalls, (but probably not all of them,) so have some idea what to expect. I'm not really interested in newer stuff because I don't like the proliferation of electronics/computers. Early 90s are suficiently complicated for me.

Now, from around next Xmas I may be heading off to sea for 4 months and the year after that start alternating between 4 month periods away and 3 month periods back, although I may not be hanging around in the UK for those 3 months if I can be off cycling somewhere.

That means that I am not sure if I'll be hanging onto whatever car I get long term or whether I'll simply sell it on. A nice 420SE might be worth storing while I'm away to give me something pleasurable to use when I am back. Mind you, I'm not sure my current budget will stretch to a "nice" 420SE. I think it more likeley that I'll end up with a 124.

So, that's my interest in joining the forum. I'm sure that I will have some questions as my Merc knowledge isn't that good.

Cheers,

LG.

Welcome, nice intro.

Can't help with your choice, but if it's a mini-moulton that should fit in any car!

Good luck.

Hiya. My AM7 splits in half and travels in a pair of special bags, so would probably go into most boots. Unfortunately, like most things in my life at the moment, it "needs attention", so in the short term I'll need to be taking my faithful old early 90s tourer. (I'm kinda stuck in the 80s/early 90s!)

28s3mzt.jpg

LG.

Welcome to the forum.

Understand your interest in those two great cars, whose prices are on the other side of the "bounce" into classic status.

I'll make two observations: that the 420 SE might be more accessible because people are scared off by its general size and fuel bills, while you will love its ability to cruise effortlessly up to Durham. The W124 is a great car as well, of course, but it has many fans, (including those in the carriage trade "back in the day"), so a good W124 may be hard to find.

If budget (and time available to search) is a constraint, you can pick up fabulous W220's and W210's at insanely cheap prices.

Enjoy your search. (And "we thank you for your service.")

Welcome you had me worried that you were trying to fit a full size bike into the back seat space,as Mike has just said depending on budget there are some great W220's and even some W221's out there.given the once a month long trip seems to be all you will use the car for then petrol might be the way to go, and they are even cheaper,give us some idea of how little you want to spend.

Ls430...

If you're trying to land a reliable car under £5k (see your other thread) , you definitely need to be thinking about W220 or W210.

Older cars will either be more expensive or will need some serious fettling.

And your 1990's tourer bicycle will easily go into the back of an S or E. (My son routinely puts his in the back of his 3 series,)

I think it shows the extent of the defence budget cuts when a new member, presumably from the Royal Navy, is asking for our help in finding a cruiser.

Well I have spent 30 mins looking at Ebay and this one looks to fit what the op wants 183621879597

2005 68k E280 with full main dealer history and high spec for less than £4k ?

Hellfire, if that's not a bargain, what is ?

s-l1600.jpg

Been off-line most of day and lots of new posts with interesting suggestions. LS430, isn't that a Lexus?
Coincidence, as I did look at some LS400s, until I read about the potential starter motor problem. They seem quite frugal for a 4lt V8. But they lack a bit of character.

I did look at 210s but was put off by all the corrosion stories and have to admit that I find them a bit bland looking. 220s look very purposeful but we are into that era of lots of electronic goodies to go wrong. I'll have to look into the one above tomorrow.

"I think it shows the extent of the defence budget cuts when a new member, presumably from the Royal Navy, is asking for our help in finding a cruiser."

It's all part of a new scheme they are trying. Provide your own ship and you get faster promotion. But well figured out. I am starting a maritime career, but in the Royal Fleet Auxiliary as opposed to the Royal Navy, (did that 42 years ago from school. This is, hopefully, going to take me up to retirement. Plus, the RN doesn't do 4 months on 3 months off, which is a major attraction of the RFA. I will be joining at HMS Sultan though, at Gosport.)

"I think Gemma Collins is available...." V. tempting, but maybe falling a bit too far into the "high maintenance" category, especially considering the age. Things are going to start falling off soon.

"Welcome you had me worried that you were trying to fit a full size bike into the back seat space"
Your worries may be justified because that is one option I've been considering. I've been wondering how easily the rear seat squab comes out of 124s/126s. I thought I could maybe take the rear seat base out altogether and put some old sofa cushions up against the seat back. With the front wheel removed I'm sure the bike would then fit in OK.

I am surprised at how cheap some of the relatively late model saloons are. You could very easily pay more for a nice Citroen 2CV! (Which I also happen to like!)

Anyway, bedtime. Thanks for all of the ideas. Plenty to look into.

LG.

Just before turning off I ran through my Ebay watch list and remembered that I was watching this;

2003 Mercedes-Benz E Class 3.2 E320 Avantgarde 4dr | eBay

The V6 is supposed to be a nice, smooth engine and not too thirsty. Looked interesting, but when I looked into them I discovered that this year, (and the one above?) had some fancy brake system that was liable to go wrong and cost a fortune to fix. I kinda lost interest at that point.

It's a minefield out there!

LG.

I discovered that this year, (and the one above?) had some fancy brake system that was liable to go wrong and cost a fortune to fix. I kinda lost interest at that point.

The pump ‘expires’ after a certain number of activations. It can sometimes be reset on Star, if it can’t then it’s a £1200 job to get a new one fitted :)

(£900 part + £300 labour at independent)

The joys of internet research.

The problems get amplified and quiet long term service goes unremarked

You can find lots of E class (and Lexus LS) on Autotrader with 200,000 or even 250,000+ mileages. Turn up at an obscure foreign airport and you’ll find the same. It says a lot that they’re loved by the carriage trade.

Lexus , Toyota and Honda are phenomenally reliable too, if maintained properly. The problem is that they’re not to everyone’s taste.

Good luck with your search.

If you’re worried by bills, definitely stick to the smaller cars. A C or E class will be much cheaper to run.

As for bikes, just take the front wheel off, grab an old duvet, or blanket, and stick it in the back of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for that E320, again it’s another example of the good one owner cars out there.

It’s remarkable that a dealer can take that in and probably still take £1500 out of that asking price for his troubles, prep and repairs.

Why did the first owner keep it so long? Probably because it was reliable and trusted.

Personally I would still pay a few bob extra for a lower mileage car. “Better to pay extra for a car that’s had half the use”. To my mind, but each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hqfg7tvs2aybjrxfymlq.jpg

As Steve Jobs used to say, "One more thing." When buying a 15 - 20 year old car, you need to leave some cash in reserve for unexpected repairs.

There will normally be something that you'll want to fix in those first six months, or some kind of wear that you didn't notice on inspection.

Allow 10% in reserve (£500+ ) in reserve and you won't feel so much pain.

No doubt someone will pipe up with their story of their perfect car, but I think most will nod in agreement.

I am with you Mike that E280 has to be a major bargain,great you could post the picture,when I came across it on ebay I read the advert at least 3 times thinking there must be a catch, full main dealer history and and it's done 6000 miles a year and looks in great condition and it's got everything you need to cruise up north a few times a year and all for less than £4 grand,and whats gets me is it is a dealer and he is making a profit at that money,the worlds gone crazy.

In reply to your original question of essentially W124 and W126.

W124 are plentiful and if you want a saloon for under £5k you'll find a very decent one. W126 - maybe a harder search, but again very possible.

W124 E300D is a great car and shouldn't give you expensive mechanical nasties, only rusty ones, as they are all post facelift when, in my opinion, the bodywork became more prone to rust. They should give 35 - 40 mpg on a run and will be comfortable and relaxed, and not as slow as people make out. Body wise, look at subframe mounts, inner front wings, floors, sills, jacking points, and then the visible body work.

Petrol W124 - head gaskets and wiring looms on facelift 6 cylinders, generally tough but not as tough as pre facelift cars.

You can find a decent W126 for 5k, they are about, be aware bumper chromes cost plenty to replace, I found a nice 300se for 3k.

Good luck, I love my W126, it is far more special feeling than my w124 cabriolet and, in my opinion, worth seeking out a decent one, they surely won't be this cheap for long.

it's got everything you need to cruise up north a few times a year and all for less than £4 grand.

Almost. I can't argue that it appears to be a great motor at a great price. You would struggle to find a nice, original Fiat 500 for the same money.

Unfortunately, it seems to be lacking the secret ingrediant that gets me excited. I did check out the ad, I looked at it's MOT history, I went to Youtube and watched some vids on the model. And, I have to admit, came away unmoved. I don't know, it's just, too modern.

I mentioned at the start that if I found the right car I would maybe consider storing it after the initial busy year, to provide me with an interesting car to use for a few short periods each year. I couldn't see me getting all excited at the thought of get back to one of those. (And if I was to follow through on that idea, I'm thinking that a "simpler" car would come out of storage with perhaps fewer problems, if only because there would be less to go wrong in the 1st place.) I hasten to add that that is only an idea.

I have looked at some newer Mercs and some do seem to offer unbelievable value, no doubt about it. But for me, I think, if I go for one it will have to be an older one. Yes, of course, I'll have to budget for the unexpected. Apart from 2 driving school cars, all of my cars have been old, and usually unusual to boot.

I've done the trip from Plymouth to Durham in an Isetta 300, (cruising speed 45mph,) an original Fiat 500, (50mph), a 1952 Austin Somerset, (can't remember, but eh, slow,) a 1961 Renault 4CV, (one of my favs, about 50,) and a Triumph Stag, (on numerous occasions, 70), to name a few. I am currently having a 1949 Renault 760 completely restored, (down to a bare shell at the moment,) which is the reason my budget is somewhat constrained.

But hey, I value all opinions, espeacially by people that are far more Mercified than I am. People's views on things change and I'm no different. In my world I don't think that 124s existed up until about 6 weeks ago when I saw one and thought that it looked quite nice. ( I can clearly remember the 1st time I ever saw an SEC, on a car sales plot in Newcastle, (now long gone,) and thinking how smart it looked.)

So, we'll see.

Cheers, LG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom