Looking for M117 information

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ron . B.

I have a customer who wants me to install a 500 M117-965 engine into in his car which he has pulled from a donor vehicle . Does anyone have the tune up and/or spec sheets for the M117-965 engine?. It's From an ex Hong Kong 1986 car. We didn't get W126 500's here in OZ only second hand ones from the UK or Hong Kong etc and the Factory workshop CD only lists US versions . Cheers!

Attachments

• Ponton 14 022.jpg
    Ponton 14 022.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 41
This,It's a 1965 W111 220S with 36,000 miles from new :( if it were mine i would have preserved it's but it's the owners car....

Attachments

• Ponton 14 008.jpg
    Ponton 14 008.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 22
Yikes! What a project. I'd have left that 220S alone too.

Did your guy get all the V8 relays, modules etc to transplant too?

Can't help with the info on the 117 but there are a quite a few people on here into the '80's V8s.

Also, benzworld.org is a huge American forum with lots of modifiers - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - Search Results

Hi,Yes all the engine management loom is going into the W111. I suspect this is a 10-1 compression engine and as a result not much info is forth coming from the Yanks because they never had such a beast. The owner tells me there were no cats on the donor car and there wasn't an air pump on the engine either . This is why i asked here as i think the UK was a market for the 965 type engine albeit a small one considering the cost of fuel there..:p The biggest complication is going to be connecting the electro speedo on the trans to the finny's thermometer speedo drive.

Plenty of those engines over here.. I have a few myself ;)

560 engines are a favourite for modifiers as they are pretty simple. The only thing you really need to ensure you have is the ignition control unit..

Also whilst its out, I would change the valve stem seals as they often go hard at this age.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the 5 litre 265 bhp version here.

:thumb: I found out this afternoon what model it was and the owner is"well chuffed " . It's a 5.0 liter M117-965 RUF 195KW at 5200 RPM and 10-1 Compression.:rock: The exhaust manifolds were a giveaway I guess. This model was introduced in the mid series around 1986 in anticipation of the germans introducing legislation making Cats mandatory in 1989. . The Donor wiring loom has a relay for air pump relay and connection but it was never connected to anything. that has been removed ...
The idea being that the owner could install the Cats and air pumps to keep the car road worthy .
Jay, the donor car had been serviced regularly before it's demise and the dealer (not far from me) was kind enough to give me the read out for the work carried out over it's time here in OZ. it has recently had seals,chain and tensioner and top rails done.
love your SEC BTW.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom