Looking for mains powered sirens, beepers and buzzers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I would like to install some very, very loud sirens or alarm sounders which I can control from a relay or which plug in to main power socket, ideally one inside and one outside.

I’d also like to install some moderately loud “beep” sounders or buzzers in much the same way.

Any suggestions on suitable sirens, sounders, beepers and buzzers? :dk:

If anyone knows, then MBClub knows... :D

Last edited:
these are usually very loud, but the description doesnt state whether they are mains or not

2 x Hosiden Besson Intrinsically Safe Banshee Fire Alarm Sounders | eBay

Fire alarm sounders are usually 24 volts, but the output sound is generally optimised for audibility at a distance and not to disorientate (as this would be a problem in a fire evacuation) Additionally, intrinsically safe spec is an expensive option (for explosive atmospheres i.e. petrol forecourt, paint storage etc) that I don't think the op needs

Fire alarm sounders are usually 24 volts, but the output sound is generally optimised for audibility at a distance and not to disorientate (as this would be a problem in a fire evacuation) Additionally, intrinsically safe spec is an expensive option (for explosive atmospheres i.e. petrol forecourt, paint storage etc) that I don't think the op needs

I realize that the OP probably doesn't need intrinsically safe but they are a good price for two. As for the 24V requirement that is why I added the link for the 230V base

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Any other suggestions?

Ok come on... You are going to have to explain this one!

Nothing particularly interesting Jay!

I have wireless PIRs dotted around both inside the house and around the garden & driveway, which activate different combinations of flood lighting or ambient lighting depending upon how close to the house motion is detected.

I'm planning to expand that to audible alerts, using the same PIRs to trigger different combinations of very, very loud sirens or moderately loud beeps or buzzes, again based upon proximity.

I'm keen to keep this away from the alarm system, so that the alarm sounder and alert messages are reserved for Defcon 1 only!! My thoughts are localised lighting and beeps is Defcon 5, floodlighting and extended beeps are Defcon 3.

Be careful - outdoor lighting sensors are notoriously prone to false alarms, and you could fall foul of the environmental health department if your system becomes a noise nuisance.

You can reduce the element of false alarms by "pairing" sensors - wire the relays in such a way that two separate PIR sensors must be activated at the same time.

Pair the sensors with a recorded message warning of "CCTV active on these premises" ??

Google sound bomb

The Sound Bomb is an array of 4 piezo sounders (the half sound bomb has 2) and is extremely effective in a closed space. Outdoors, the high pitched piezo generated sound has a tendency to be carried away by the wind, but provided there are enough walls to reflect the sound they are great little things.

However, they do make a lot of noise for a little amount of current.

Tor outdoor use, I still recommend an electronic sounder such as a 3.5 inch horn - the TK814 (and its cousin the slightly larger TK1010) have proved to stand up to weather very well.

The sound bomb is not designed for outdoor use - if low current piezo is needed, the TK401 is suitable (often used on motorcycle alarms in the distant past)

The Master Blaster and Sound Bomb are the two which caught my eye. Apparently the Master Blaster comes in a Super M version, which hopefully does away with the 12/24v switch - I just want it to sound when it receives mains power!

As already mentioned, are you going to be allowed to use any audible device outside. Even security lights are now seen as light pollution and car alarms are not allowed to chirp.

An unregulated burglar alarm will now get a visit from the Police or council who will forcibly remove it from the property.

The master blaster has a steady note that carries long distances, so it is most likely to annoy neighbours. They used to be fitted on remote farm houses, as they could be heard from a distance, allowing the farmer to return from the field he was working in. These days paging systems and telephone diallers/mobile phones do the same job.

I didn't think that they still made them - I remember having trouble locating them in the early 90's!

If you insist on using a master blaster, the relay is easily removed if you can't get the version you want.

One idea that will not cause a noise nuisance would be if you connected some outdoor sensors to sockets inside the house - you could then trigger interior lights, recording of dog barking, etc, etc.

Alternatively, a few geese can create a bit of noise if disturbed - and the council & police should be less concerned about them than about electronic sounders…...

Have you got any trees round the house?

If only a flat lawn.

20_an-example-of-a-e28098bamboo-booby-trap_-used-by-the-viet-cong-thought-during-the-vietnam-war1.jpg

If all else fails, install the ultimate booby trap

06-z-girls-booby-trap-500-2.jpg

One idea that will not cause a noise nuisance would be if you connected some outdoor sensors to sockets inside the house - you could then trigger interior lights, recording of dog barking, etc, etc.

Alternatively, a few geese can create a bit of noise if disturbed - and the council & police should be less concerned about them than about electronic sounders…...

Thanks for the tip on the relay :thumb:

Useful thoughts regarding disturbing the peace, although I'm not planning for the very loud siren to sound unless some specific conditions have been met.

I already have PIRs outside which trigger both indoor and outdoor lighting sequences, and can be used to switch on other devices, like the radio, etc. The PIRs define zones and so are very subtle in the zone furthest from the house (ie ambient lighting inside), more illuminating in the middle ground (ie outside floodlighting and ceiling light inside), and pretty obvious in the zone that's within a few meters of the house!

The idea is to do something similar with audible alerts, ie no sound within the furthest zone, a doorbell style beep or buzz in the middle ground, and a short, sharp and moderately loud noise within a few meters of the house.

The really loud siren would be reserved for PIR triggers inside the house, garages and outbuildings, and so they're unlikely to be triggered by wildlife (unless Wanco's fox is in the area), and in the event that they're triggered then disturbing the peace will be low on my list of priorities!

Have you got any trees round the house?

If only a flat lawn.

20_an-example-of-a-e28098bamboo-booby-trap_-used-by-the-viet-cong-thought-during-the-vietnam-war1.jpg

If all else fails, install the ultimate booby trap

06-z-girls-booby-trap-500-2.jpg

Will, I bet photo 3 was very carefully selected after quite a comprehensive review of the Google search results! :D

Will, I bet photo 3 was very carefully selected after quite a comprehensive review of the Google search results! :D

It's just a snap of Mrs Dm and a few mates on Hols last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom