Looking for my next car... could use some advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UCZ15

Car
2003 VW MK4 Golf GTi 1.8 T
Hi all,

I'm a new-ish member around these parts and I am looking to get myself into a nice bit of Merc in time for my 25th birthday as it also coincides with another year of no-claim. Date is in around 8 weeks so I'm just starting to do a bit of research into whats out there and whats feasible.

My budget is actually quite stretchy in terms of the lowest/highest I'm prepared to part with. I wanted to get people's view on what I've already shortlisted. I was looking at a few higher-mile E55s but ultimately needed to be smart about the things that come after you buy a car i.e. the fuel and insurance and the tax and the repairs. I thought I'd still be able to get away with a V8 motor though as I've got the insurance money saved.

So a few days of browsing forums and scouring autotrader and eBay brought me to the facelifted W220 S430 or S500. They're sitting pretty at around £4-5k at the moment and theres only a few but I wondered if anybody would advise for or against one of them? What alternatives do I have? I only really need 4 doors so it has to be a saloon. I'm not opposed to a 6-cylinder engine but I am 100% opposed to a 4-cylinder engine and totally opposed to diesel as I don't do enough miles or care for the crude way diesel power is delivered. I reckon I'm at a ripe age where you don't want to be asking "what if?" so I want to just go for it (within reason).

I've heard all the horror stories that surround these cars but the engine and trans should be sound with proper maintenance, right? Any W220 owners feedback would be awesome but really - anybody with any suggestions would be really cool. If I was to buy a W220 for £3-5k, I'd have £2k as tangible backup for any emergency repairs but I wouldn't want to deplete that in 1 year.

Unfortunately solid mechnicals count for naught if the rest of the running gear and the electronics shepherding them decide they no longer want to play ball. The 220 is a complex vehicle, and while the car gets cheaper the bills generally don't. Airmatic repairs aren't as bad as they used to be but can still put a significant dent in that backup fund.

Get the wrong car, and it'll eat the lot without blinking.

I say go for it, spend time looking for a good one though

There is a forum member selling a 220, s55 AMG kompressor, it’s practically immaculate. Sitting on £3000 wheels too :p
I think he’s looking for £9k but it’ll be worth it if your budget permits.
Name: m2287 message him :)
Cheers

Unfortunately solid mechnicals count for naught if the rest of the running gear and the electronics shepherding them decide they no longer want to play ball. The 220 is a complex vehicle, and while the car gets cheaper the bills generally don't. Airmatic repairs aren't as bad as they used to be but can still put a significant dent in that backup fund.

Get the wrong car, and it'll eat the lot without blinking.

Then I reckon the W220 is probably the wrong chassis to be looking at unfortunately :( I mean, they break with the cycle of each moon - especially as most are over the 100k mile mark and have been run on a budget or used as chauffeur/taxi in the past. W211 and W219 (air suspension and SBC aside) seem to be a little better propositions? They cost more but they're in the galvanised body era without the W220's incredible ability to not only flood itself but eat itself too.

I say go for it, spend time looking for a good one though

There is a forum member selling a 220, s55 AMG kompressor, it’s practically immaculate. Sitting on £3000 wheels too :p
I think he’s looking for £9k but it’ll be worth it if your budget permits.
Name: m2287 message him :)
Cheers

That is so tempting. I think its the £9,500 one on Autotrader on a X3PLT number plate? I can probably afford the outlay to get the car but probably can't afford what will follow. That car is ABC as well right? Thinking about a W219 now.

Then I reckon the W220 is probably the wrong chassis to be looking at unfortunately :( I mean, they break with the cycle of each moon - especially as most are over the 100k mile mark and have been run on a budget or used as chauffeur/taxi in the past. W211 and W219 (air suspension and SBC aside) seem to be a little better propositions? They cost more but they're in the galvanised body era without the W220's incredible ability to not only flood itself but eat itself too.

That is so tempting. I think its the £9,500 one on Autotrader on a X3PLT number plate? I can probably afford the outlay to get the car but probably can't afford what will follow. That car is ABC as well right? Thinking about a W219 now.

That’s my S55 yes, the ABC is perfect and you can now rebuild the pumps and valve blocks for under £100! Struts are basically the same price as airmatic but ABC rides SO much better!

I’ve ran various cars with ABC over the last 8 years and well over 100k miles, none have cost the silly prices some have had to pay to put right, most Indy’s have a decent knowledge of the systems now too.

That’s my S55 yes, the ABC is perfect and you can now rebuild the pumps and valve blocks for under £100! Struts are basically the same price as airmatic but ABC rides SO much better!

I’ve ran various cars with ABC over the last 8 years and well over 100k miles, none have cost the silly prices some have had to pay to put right, most Indy’s have a decent knowledge of the systems now too.

Hi m2287. Can I just say your car looks absolutely incredible. I'm stunned. My problem with your car isn't your actual car or your ownership - its more my financials. I could buy it but I'd have to give up maintaining or running it. I also just ran some insurance quotes and they were batsh*t crazy. I wouldn't have much £ leftover unfortunately. I think the AMG thing might be a little ambitious for me for the moment.

Hi m2287. Can I just say your car looks absolutely incredible. I'm stunned. My problem with your car isn't your actual car or your ownership - its more my financials. I could buy it but I'd have to give up maintaining or running it. I also just ran some insurance quotes and they were batsh*t crazy. I wouldn't have much £ leftover unfortunately. I think the AMG thing might be a little ambitious for me for the moment.

Thanks mate, I have loved the car over the last 18 months, just wanted something a bit more “special”

I always found Aviva are very AMG friendly, my first AMG was with them when I was 22 and it was well under a grand for the year! Obviously different circumstances etc.

Maybe try one of the older N/A AMGs, it’s a good entry level option and they are a lot cheaper than the kompressors.

Edit:
What I will say about servicing, my s55 has been cheaper to maintain than my previous s320 cdi and it hasn’t been skimped on, it’s had anything it needs! The cars are all the same underneath, the AMG just has bigger brakes, engine, different suspenion and a body kit!

Thanks mate, I have loved the car over the last 18 months, just wanted something a bit more “special”

I always found Aviva are very AMG friendly, my first AMG was with them when I was 22 and it was well under a grand for the year! Obviously different circumstances etc.

Maybe try one of the older N/A AMGs, it’s a good entry level option and they are a lot cheaper than the kompressors.

You had an AMG at 22?! Sensational stuff. I was checking out a CLK55 or some of the rarer C55s. Seem like a good shout as they are air-suspensionless and SBCless. I was also thinking about the 500 5.5 litre V8 cars but that timing chain sprocket thing was only solved after 08/58 plates if I'm not mistaken? Can't see a single E500 or CLS500 registered in that period for sale. Super super rare. Then my other choice was to finance a V8 W221 but again, the 2009-and-up cars are way way way out of my budget. I am absolutely determined to get into a V8 with my little piggy bank though I can do this!

You had an AMG at 22?! Sensational stuff. I was checking out a CLK55 or some of the rarer C55s. Seem like a good shout as they are air-suspensionless and SBCless. I was also thinking about the 500 5.5 litre V8 cars but that timing chain sprocket thing was only solved after 08/58 plates if I'm not mistaken? Can't see a single E500 or CLS500 registered in that period for sale. Super super rare. Then my other choice was to finance a V8 W221 but again, the 2009-and-up cars are way way way out of my budget. I am absolutely determined to get into a V8 with my little piggy bank though I can do this!

I was lucky enough to live with my parents pretty much rent free as long as I saved some cash for a deposit, the rest of my money was for cars and I saved hard!

Don’t forget the cars after 2006 will have over £500 tax whereas pre 2006 will be around £300 a year! I don’t know too much about the 500s to be honest.

The CLKs are lovely cars and a good base AMG to start with I think!

I was lucky enough to live with my parents pretty much rent free as long as I saved some cash for a deposit, the rest of my money was for cars and I saved hard!

Don’t forget the cars after 2006 will have over £500 tax whereas pre 2006 will be around £300 a year! I don’t know too much about the 500s to be honest.

The CLKs are lovely cars and a good base AMG to start with I think!

I'm in a similar situation to yourself at the moment! Road tax was another reason I was looking at the W220/E55/CLS55 but I think I'll need to reconsider what I can get. CLK/C might be my next research point. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom