Looking for my second MB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingronnie

Car
W208 CLK320 & R171 FL SLK350
I've been reading these forums for ages, but I've only just had cause to say anything, so I thought I'd make my first post an introduction.

After being in awe of my dad's W124 300TD since he bought it new in 1992 (still only has 72k on the clock), I'd always wanted an MB of my own.

I currently drive a W208 CLK320 in blue on a 52 plate (pic attached). I know she's old, I know she's not the fastest, and I know there are a lot of people who think I should have bought a W209, but... she's my pride and joy and was bought a year ago after 6 months of research and numerous test drives of many different cars.

Now, however, I'm after a drop top sports car to live alongside her. My search/research has just started and this seems to be the friendliest and most helpful of all the car forums I've found.

Right, I'm off to trawl (not troll) all posts about SLK's (R171 facelift) and SL's (R230 1st facelift).

Any pointers would be very gratefully received.

Ronnie

Attachments

• clk_eastbourne.jpg
    clk_eastbourne.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 12
Hi, and welcome to the club, I had a r230 500sl, lovely V8 cruiser. The only fault (common) was leaking roof seals, which took my local MB garage three attempts to fix ....:dk:

Hi. Thanks for the welcome.

Due to my high mileage I think I'll be going for an SL350 (if I go down that road). Also, I'm very scared of ABC problems, and I'm only going to be able to get a non-ABC model if I get a 350. That's been covered in detail elsewhere though.

SLK350 or SLK55 is another dilemma that's on my mind :confused:

Welcome.. and good-luck on finding the sporty model that suites you. Personally i also love the SLK55. Has enough power standard but have seen some nice power upgrades on them also.. (if that's your thing).
Don't forget about the MERC BENZ SLK 600 1 .. shes a beast and willing to go "top-less". I believe you get hard and soft tops for her. All depends on your budget of-course.

Welcome.. and good-luck on finding the sporty model that suites you. Personally i also love the SLK55. Has enough power standard but have seen some nice power upgrades on them also.. (if that's your thing).

SLK55 has more than enough power for me (I know, I'm a wimp!). Due to the mileage I'm going to be doing I need some sort of fuel economy too. Probably be an SLK350 if I go down that road.

I tested a V6 Audi TT the other day; it was quick but dull compared to the SLK350 (the 350 I tested was pre-facelift, so I'm thinking that the facelift with 300hp is going to be even tastier.

Don't forget about the MERC BENZ SLK 600 1 .. shes a beast and willing to go "top-less". I believe you get hard and soft tops for her. All depends on your budget of-course.

SLK600? I've never heard of that. Do you have any links?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom