Looking for support / advice E63 Differential?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S2000Paul

Car
E63 AMG
So sweeping around a very large roundabout leaning on the nearside tyres if you see what I mean, and turn onto the dual carriageway exit & the car starts shaking with speed related rumbling from the rear from 35 mph +.

Would say the nearside, proper sashsay feeling. Come off the throttle and it eases, back on and its back.
Turn left onto a straight and try again and its doesn't manifest itself again, drove home tonight with no issue, obviously very tentatively!.

Second time its happened - first time 2 weeks ago, again around another large roundabout at a decent lick, so I pulled over, checked wheel nuts, drove to a garage and pumped tyres up to 3 person level and convinced myself it was them... :rolleyes:.

Informed opinions about the standard MERC differential - something loose, something terminal?

Concern was I was just reading AUTOCAR mag and it was on about the G63 5.5 GWagon having a putty driveshaft - watch for rumbling / vibration!!

Minor plus...I opted nearly 18 months ago not to take MERCs warranty as it shot up to nearly £1700 / year, so as long as the repair is less than £2000 I've saved money!!!

Realistically 29,000 miles and one of these to go - could I expect MERCEDES sympathy as it has its regular health checks every 3 months and full AMG Dealer Servicing done each year - 4th Year Biggie only 8 months ago!!

Last edited:
I haven't experienced any of the diff features you mention, although I'm unsure if you have the W212 or W213 E63.

Haven't had any issues like you describe with my 2014 E63 Paul.
Hope you get some satisfaction at the dealer.

Traction control switched on? I wonder if leaning hard on the level of grip has the TC applying rear brake to control wheelspin, and the rear pads are getting too hot. I get a lot of rear brake noise and feedback on my track M3 if I forget to turn the TC off before pushing hard on the track. It’ll do a set of rear pads in a morning like this. Ok, the track ain’t the road, but you get my drift, if you’ll pardon the pun ;)

Traction control switched on? I wonder if leaning hard on the level of grip has the TC applying rear brake to control wheelspin, and the rear pads are getting too hot. I get a lot of rear brake noise and feedback on my track M3 if I forget to turn the TC off before pushing hard on the track. It’ll do a set of rear pads in a morning like this. Ok, the track ain’t the road, but you get my drift, if you’ll pardon the pun ;)
Nah, not pushing like that and brakes are fine...no flash of T/C as occurrence was on long sweepers within speed limits etc...All drivers aids on etc...
Left it with them a day and a half as Technician and Lead Technician couldn't replicate on the first day, so Workshop manager took it out next day...same...no repeat.

So quarter of a tank later 3 test drives, full diagnostic with no faults at all, physical review with video of all Wheels & tyres, all brakes, driveshafts, differential and prop shaft - retorqued all the bolts on them all etc...
handed back...with a re-assurance of no issues...
Drive 50 metres and the autohold on brakes isn't working...straight back...and take straight back into workshop, 5 mins later Technician declares it was like that when it came in....I'm a lover not a fighter but I was fuming...told them to stop that train of thought straight away as it was fine when I dropped it off, had just received off them a full report of its condition and work carried and no faults and they say that!!!

Not sure how these places survive... anyway....

Auxiliary battery malfunction has been coming on very rarely over the last fortnight so mentioned that and of course that is now the reason for the brake hold issue...
Bought a battery (week delivery) there and then as researched and Mercedes are the cheapest - just to disprove it when I fit it next week....

Get back to work, finish a few hours later and the brake hold is back again working...aye Caramba.

Only guarantee obviously is:

1) No repeat investigation fee if it repeats
2) Mercedes offer a 5 year 'goodwill programme' if a rare fault manifests itself and its not down to abuse or consumables - Service manager was confident before hand this would one of those as they had never had it... (if it was real LOL)
3) New auxiliary battery coming!

Will update next week if no further issues and when battery fitted...

I can’t help with the diff question but the brake hold on my 212 became intermittent and then stopped completely due an old aux battery. A new aux battery fixed it, so I hope it is simple as that for you.

New AUX battery fitted and ECO (stop / start) is much more frequent...brake hold works all the time too...

Had one minor manifestation of the 'shaking' but on a straight this time, in the last 3 1/2 weeks - then this morning big time, rocking and rolling, power loss, and finally engine light flashing and cut out a the top of a slip road. Restarted and without moving it was clear it was the engine....engine light remains on...

I have a little gizmo that can check codes - misfire on numerous cylinders.....

Now immediately I start thinking about the major SERVICE late last year - 8 new spark plugs amongst the rest of the £1000 bill.....expectation at the time was it to be smoother, faster, more economical...but it never felt that way.....its at the garage now.....

Will update when I know what's what...

Lottery on for tonight...

Coil pack complete failure on cylinder 7...
Which threw out the engine management big time...

New Coil pack shipped overnight and its running as good as it ever has in memory...

Anyone else had a coil failure.

Good news was £180 all in!! (Investigation fees waived from previous visit)

Coil pack complete failure on cylinder 7...
Which threw out the engine management big time...

New Coil pack shipped overnight and its running as good as it ever has in memory...
Hopefully that's the end of your issues, but do keep a close eye on oil consumption.

The 5.5 Biturbo engine (admittedly most times on mapped engines) can bend con-rods and there's informed speculation that misfires under high load may be a contributory factor. Increased oil consumption can be an indicator of con-rod issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom