Looking for W203 petrol.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

allias

Car
00' W210 Est 320CDI
Sorry for another one after creating thread before:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/gene...-car-swap-dilema-w210-vs-something-older.html
...but as much this question is the same is different at the same time.

m considering changing my W210CDI as I found its why to expensive on my short trips to work. I tend to make about 50 miles a week (5miles one way) to work and back plus additional 20-40 for other "stuff". My W210 CDI shows avg of 35mpg but I bet its much less since I spend ~£30 or more for fuel. With this distance it should be ~£15 so computer is laying big style about short mpg`s.

Im looking at C-Class as it should be much cheaper on insurance as well. Major factor is MPG but decent power and driveablility play a part as well.

C180, C180K, C200 or C200K? Or something bigger? Which one to choose? I know it all depend on condition and satate of used engine but I would like to reach about 30mpg`s or more on my short trips.

The 180k and 200k engines are rubbish . The m271 engine has some issues , on being a cam chain that stretches and can snap or jumb teeth . This can cause valve damage and break teeth from the sprockets . Another issue is with the balance shafts , these can seize , this will snap the lower chain and can snap the timing chain as well .
In my experiance the MPG from these engines is dire . My E class only ever manages mid to low 20s on short runs and on a long motor way run about 30 if you drive carefully

Petrol + W203 = C32 AMG

Super value these days too

I see about 36mpg on a cruise and 28 around town in my 280 (v6 3 litre). That has good mpg for me - from 4wd performance cars, it has a pretty good turn of speed as well and I have been very impressed so far.

I have a C280 as well and it averages 26mpg and I concur with pigsti's figures for motorway, not sure about the twon stats though, mine is less than that.

he can get a w203 with m111 engine, cheaper and with a crankshaft pulley it will become super economical

he can get a w203 with m111 engine, cheaper and with a crankshaft pulley it will become super economical

What models are those and when they been built?? Which one I should look for and which one to avoid? Im really confused...

PS. thanks for all that input so far.

m111 is an older engine but in my humble opinion is a more reliable & tough with a superb power potential of a 2.0l. I personally am a proud owner. older w203 models, with this engine, have more electronic issues but they are mechanically bullet-proof

Id agree with Endpoint as well , the M111 engines where fantastic . I had one in my 210 and it gave me no problems and is still going strong with well over 140000 miles done .

Maybe there's something wrong with your W210?,
I get nearly 40 MPG around town an mid 40s to early 50s out of town and thats with the car running a bit cold and needing the thermostat doing.

m considering changing my W210CDI as I found its why to expensive on my short trips to work. I tend to make about 50 miles a week (5miles one way) to work and back plus additional 20-40 for other "stuff".
Almost nothing will give good economy for 5 mile journeys unless it's electrically powered. You're spending most of the journey heating up the engine, coolant and exhaust systems. I very much doubt you will find any car that will give amazing figures for very short trips.

About the only thing that will give decent MPG doing a 5 mile commute is something like a Citroen C1, Aygo, 107 etc.
You will get 45mpg + from them.

However.......doing 80 miles a week is such a small amount the difference between 25mpg and 40mpg is not worth worrying about.

Well it is £7 a week, although 25 vs 40mpg sounds a lot, it is not really.

A petrol will give you around 26mpg being realistic, if your car is getting 30mpg the difference will be about £2 a week.

Unless the old car is threatening to need expensive repairs, it's hard to see changing it saving you enough to be worth the hassle and risk. If you buy privately you're taking on an unknown quantity in terms of reliability and repairs; from a dealer you have a four-digit margin to chip away with your £10 a week (if that) fuel saving before you break even.

It's easy to get caught up in the hysteria over the rising price of fuel, but fuel cost is a calculation to be made when you're changing your car anyway, not a reason to throw money into changing a car that otherwise suits you.

Plus you are swapping a diesel for a petrol, which will always use more fuel.
If you want an auto I would expect around 22mpg from a C180K on a 5 mile commute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom