Looking Forward to Collecting My CLK This Week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marcel-Anthony

Car
C350 V6 Coupe, ML300, Slk 200K
Just a quick intro and Hi to all.

Hope to collect my new to me Clk 270 CDI (Face Lift) some time this week, Its not my first Merc, have owned in the past 2 190e's. (A 1986 2.3 16v Cosworth and a 1991 2.0l Sportline) and a 1989 280 SL But this was many many moons ago. So really looking forward to getting back in to Merc ownership.

Did the deal for it on Sat pasted. Pxed my Jag x type d sport. Will be sad to see it go but its done 180k and it was time to go. The Clk is an 04 Plate (its a couple of years older than my jag) but I am hoping the the quality of the Clk will be worth the age drop.

Jag D ownership has be a bit of a nightmare, have almost rebuilt the car in three years, I hope the same will not be the same with the Clk, it has Merc service history. So that's why I bought it as have been looking at loads and this one was the best documented.

Only bad point is that the rear arches will need attention as starting to blister, but to be honest most I have seen have been going this way. I will get these done in the next couple of months after I have lived with the car for a while to be sure its a good one.

Looking forward to getting involved with the forum, I am sure you guys will be on had for advice when needed.

The car is Silver but has a blue tint to it, not seen another with this paint but I am sure their out there.

So again Hi to all.

Marcel-Anthony (North East)

Hello and welcome. Plenty of bods on here who will be able to advise.

Still waiting for the collection call, I am like a child waiting for xmas, Hope to have by this weekend at the latest.

Typical used dealers, it will be ready for you on Wednesday Sir. They just did not say which Wednesday.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Welcome to the forum. Same car, a 270, lumpy as hell when cold (and drinks fuel) great when its warm (so check it warms up ok within a few miles, or it will need a new thermostat). The rear arches do blister and i'm half way through doing some remedial work on mine. You probably know that your cars made with zintec sheet metal (zinc coated steel and not 'galvanised') which will crack due to stone chips/ stress or breakdown if enough crud is left against it, so before you do anything, clean the mud/crud/grime out of the inner rear wheel arch lips and treat with a good gloopy primer/ or rust inhibitor before you tackle the outer 'seen' face of the wheel arches or you'll be wasting your time and money.

Thanks for the advice, Leabrooks. I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to car cleaning, So even though the car is coming to me valeted. I will be going through it and getting it to my standard. the rear of the arches are first on my list along with a full wax and seal on the paint work.

I am getting the arches done at a body shop, but i am going to use the car for a couple of months first to see if its a good car.

On your point re the the thermostat, what is the normal running temp for the CLK

Half way up the scale (80) or one digital notch above, you should be seeing one notch on the temp gauge at a mile, and half way (normal 80) by 4 or 5 miles depending on the outside temp. If you're seeing a constant 65 C after say 8 miles or more (three notches up) and the heaters blowing luke warm air instead of hot air the thermostat needs replacing.

Hiya All,
I'm Ria I'm new to this forum. I've dipped in and out over the year when I've had queries and I'm now a new member.
I'm trying to get advice on my clk 2002 plate. Can anyone device on the best place to service and repair in NW London Harrow area? I've had some horror stories, so would appreciate recommendations. Also how much should I expect to pay for a magnetic engine coil which is faulty (oil leak)? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks v. much.

Another 270cdi owner here, Mine is the same full history but certainly not lumpy on cold start. Smooth as silk all the time.

If it a manual then you will no doubt have issues with the stupidly useless footbrake. I've had mine rebuilt twice now. If it's an auto then just don't use it. It siezes on/off and has failed once when parked.

Is it the facelift 04 or earlier?

I've had mine 2yrs now, 40k miles covered and moulded it to my taste/style.

Non sport brakes are shockingly bad, I changed mine as soon as I could source the parts. Went with S500 calipers on 330mm CLK sport discs. Wanted the CLK55 calipers and 345mm discs but couldn't get them at the time.

All in all a good car and I would only ever change it for a a newer CLK or a CLS

Hi P3thy,

Thanks for the welcome comments. Still looking forward to getting the car. I have been waiting all most 2 weeks, Shocking service from the Dealer. I just hope when I do it it its going to be ok.

Its an o4 plate but it is a face lift model. It better be worth the wait. will post when I get it.

Was there a problem with the car? Two weeks to prep it seems a little strange.
Have you rung them to see what's taking so long?

:dk:

Yes I have rang them again today, and I am still waiting on a part I am told, I think this is rubbish as you get parts in 24hrs. My fear is now there is a more serious issue with the car.

The fault that it had when I viewed the car was a oil pressure/level sensor (cant really remember exactly what it said on the display now). They also said they were going to replace the rear bushes. The dealer is in York and I am in Newcastle so its not that easy to just go round and face it out with them.

Before I bought this one had had viewed at least five others around the country and for the money I had this was the spec I wanted. But now I am getting a little more than concerned to what's going on.

I have told them my concerns and they say they also want to get it to me just as soon as they can. I think that they don't do the work on site and its been sent out too a busy garage.

The saga continues and I will report news as I get it.

Last edited:
yes I paid the balance, all that's left to do or pay is hand in my px. Yes I know this was a silly thing to do. But at the time all seemed well.

Last edited:
At last, after almost a three week wait, I can collect the car tomorrow. will post a photo tomorrow. I still cant think what could have made the dealer take this long to get the car ready.

I will be going over the car to the best of my ability before I take it away.

Marcel-Anthony

At last, after almost a three week wait, I can collect the car tomorrow. will post a photo tomorrow. I still cant think what could have made the dealer take this long to get the car ready.

I will be going over the car to the best of my ability before I take it away.

Marcel-Anthony

Make sure you demand a full breakdown as to what they have been doing, else 6months down the line you might end up with problems.

Good luck with that. I would ask them exactly why it's taken so long, what was the problem and which part/s have been replaced.

Last edited:
So what is their reason for keeping the car, what have they told you? - strange situation that you paid up weeks ago and you havent even got the car as of yet.

Make sure that you have paperwork with the date you actually get the car (for the warrantly) otherwise your nearly a month into the 3 month warrantly required by law.

To be honest, what they said was, they passed the car to the garage (they don't do their repairs on site) they use and their was a delay in getting the part (B******T). I told it has had both rear bushes done, plus a front suspension arm (not sure what one yet).

The oil Level/pressure sensor.

I really don,t know what the delay was, in my mind I think they might have had an bill to settle with the repair garage. I am a little nervous now re the car.

So unless it is ok tomorrow I wont be taking it. I have a Elm lead that I will take down with me and on the test drive i will plug it in to see what I find.

With the warranty do they need to give me this in writing or is it just law nowadays when buying from a dealer,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom