Looking into purchasing a Mercedes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M113K

Car
Omega 3.2 V6
Hi all,

New to the forum and Mercedes.

After years of owning large Vauxhall’s such as Carlton GSi, Senator 3.0 24v and lately Omega’s and I still have two 3.2 V6 Elite models. I feel like a change.

I’ve been looking into various brands and vehicles.. Such as Jaguar S Type R, XF SV8, XJR... Audi S5 V8, S6 V10... Lexus LS430, LS460, IS-F... Porsche Cayenne Turbo (955)... Jeep SRT8... Chrysler 300c SRT8... Vauxhall Monaro, VXR8... etc etc... Only diesel models I’ve considered also where the more newer 335d xDrive or 435d xDrive.. Although they are a bit over budget and I’d preferably not go down the diesel route as I’m looking for a weekend / summer car / long distance etc.. Looking at 5,000 miles a year maybe less. Anyway I have a diesel shed I use to go the the shops for the inevitable dents and scratches etc..

So far I’ve been to see / test drive. In no specific order just what happened to be relatively close distance wise to see: Porsche Cayenne Turbo (955) 2004, Mercedes E55 AMG W211 (2004), Jaguar S Type R (2003)...

I must admit the Cayenne Turbo did surprise me how well it handled. But I can’t see it being the best choice.

The S Type R again was a nice sounding engine, powerful and handled well. But the car itself I wasn’t keen on it. Plus they do seem to suffer from various problems more often than one would like. The one I went to see had just over 80,000 miles and it already had a transmission replacement!

Overall the E55 ticked most of the boxes. It’s my kinda car.

But overall I think the CLS55 would be the one to go for if going down the M113K route. Seen as they are all usually on a 2005 “55” plate. Most E55s tend to be around 2002-2004. And if I’m not mistaken more prone to rust? As I’m see I read somewhere that Mercedes started using galvanised metal from 2004 onwards.

The other (more sensible choice) would be the E500 or CLS500 with the newer 5.5 V8 with around 388 bhp. Say around 2008. This does mean the higher tax bracket but that’s not too much of a concern if I like the car.

Hopefully the knowledge from experienced Mercedes owners could help me choose / offer advice etc..

Many Thanks

CLS55 is the obvious choice for me! But then I am bias...

The other (more sensible choice) would be the E500 or CLS500 with the newer 5.5 V8 with around 388 bhp. Say around 2008. This does mean the higher tax bracket but that’s not too much of a concern if I like the car.

More sensible how?

Cheaper to buy? Yes
Cheaper to run? Negligible, tax same (I think) consumables on a CLS/E55 are pretty cheap (check out price of brakes compared to the newer AMGs), MPG similar
Cheaper to insure? Maybe? My CLS55 is cheap enough to ensure.

Max smiles all round though in a M113k!

OP not been seen for 7 months, don’t expect an answer soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom