Looking to buy a 2016 C63. Need advice from fellow owners...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you saying the discs are bigger because S models get 19 inch wheels as standard instead of 18 inch wheels?

What about a non S model that has 19 inch wheels as an option?

Same discs are being advertised for both online.

Non S is 360mm and S is 390mm.

Although you need 19" wheels for 390mm the upgrade is part of the S package rather than what wheels are specified on a non S.

Ah ok, so if you have a standard C63 with 19 inch wheels, then it won't have the 390mm discs?

Is there any literature/info around about this? The brochure says nothing about difference disc sizes for the S model.

I'm guessing you could also fit standard discs to the S model if you wanted...! The wheel hub is surely the same for both models.

If it's like the 204 then it's probably just a different carrier for the caliper to allow the fitment of bigger discs.

Have a look on Autotrader and you will see the discs on non-S cars fill the 18" wheels but look smaller within 19"s. The S discs fill a 19" wheel.

Ahh thanks for that.

Do you know if the OE discs are Brembo? £680 for the 390mm front ones on ebay which isn't terrible.

I've also seen quite a few non S models with red calipers - is that just people getting them sprayed? I thought red calipers were for the S only.

C 63 , Silver calipers (option code B06):
Front discs 360x36 mm

C 63 S , Red calipers (option code U70):
Front discs (compound/lightweight) 390x36 mm

C63 S with optional carbon ceramic brakes, Gold calipers (option code B07):
Front discs : 402x39 mm

The rear discs are the same on all versions and are 360x26.

Good info, but why would brakes on the S model cost more?
I guess its because the S model has a two piece disc & bell setup, and the non S has a solid one piece disc.
That's the way it used to be with performance pack cars.

It's one piece but the non-S is all iron, whereas the S is a composite disc that uses an aluminium bell and spider arms with an iron rotor.

I would be looking to buy from a Mercedes dealer for similar money...you should normally get a 2 year AMG warranty and the car will be just serviced so 12 months before any expenditure. I also wouldnt expect to be changing discs anytime soon. Taking out a service plan is also a good way to spread costs.. 20% discount at the moment . So probably under £40 per month.
The market for C63 does appear stronger at the minute and limited in numbers. I bought my 18 reg C63S estate for similar money in January from a Mercedes dealer.

Thats why it pays to buy an S over a none S model, More power as standard, bigger brakes as standard, electronic diff as standard. Buying the C63 just to 'get you in one' and then modifying to get more power is certainly cheaper but might not be the best value.

You also don't get 'race' mode in the none S I don't think, not on the early cars. but I could be wrong.

I would be looking to buy from a Mercedes dealer for similar money...you should normally get a 2 year AMG warranty and the car will be just serviced so 12 months before any expenditure. I also wouldnt expect to be changing discs anytime soon. Taking out a service plan is also a good way to spread costs.. 20% discount at the moment . So probably under £40 per month.
The market for C63 does appear stronger at the minute and limited in numbers. I bought my 18 reg C63S estate for similar money in January from a Mercedes dealer.
20% discount is if you pay up front for the services, rather than pay monthly.

If I remember correctly servicing is only carried out if car is within 3 months of it's due service date , luckily mine was . Mind you they forgot to do it so had to pay to get my local MB dealer to service it.

If I remember correctly servicing is only carried out if car is within 3 months of it's due service date , luckily mine was . Mind you they forgot to do it so had to pay to get my local MB dealer to service it.
I was lucky with mine. The first service was due in March. I bought it in October. The sales manager said because it was an Amg, they would service it before collection so it was done early. I have an excellent Indy who I will use when it's due for its next one. LSH auto group is the place I bought it. I would buy again from there.

Thats why it pays to buy an S over a none S model, More power as standard, bigger brakes as standard, electronic diff as standard. Buying the C63 just to 'get you in one' and then modifying to get more power is certainly cheaper but might not be the best value.

You also don't get 'race' mode in the none S I don't think, not on the early cars. but I could be wrong.

There seems to be so much ambiguity about race mode...I'm sure I read somewhere that non S models have it, but then to be fair the brochure says it's only the C63s.

Some posts also claim a power increase in race mode...?

The extra bits for the S model are very tempting....it's just whether anyone needs bigger front discs, electronic diff, sports seats and an extra 30hp... :)

There seems to be so much ambiguity about race mode...I'm sure I read somewhere that non S models have it, but then to be fair the brochure says it's only the C63s.

Some posts also claim a power increase in race mode...?

The extra bits for the S model are very tempting....it's just whether anyone needs bigger front discs, electronic diff, sports seats and an extra 30hp... :)

Nobody *needs* those things but you may as well have them as not. This is a purchase you make with your heart (for me at least) and not your head. I wanted a C63S for a long time before I got mine last month. I had the opportunity to get a 2019 C63 non S, better tech, gearbox etc and roughly half the mileage of the one I eventually bought (7k vs. 15k) , but - that without the little 'S' it just wasn't the kind of special I was after (just as well since it was £6k more expensive).

I'm of the opinion that you may as well get the best one you can afford and hold out for it, getting a non-S version was pointless to me for a variety of reasons.

May as well do it right the first time otherwise you'll be wondering 'what if?' forever.

Thanks for sharing Greg.

"Need" wasn't quite the right word...! I more meant whether those differences would be noticed by most people...for example the electronic diff sounds like a nice upgrade but I wonder whether that will have any impact when I'm driving, even when I'm pushing it a bit? Or will that kind of upgrade only really be apparent when the car is being pushed to the limits on a track?

Thanks for sharing Greg.

"Need" wasn't quite the right word...! I more meant whether those differences would be noticed by most people...for example the electronic diff sounds like a nice upgrade but I wonder whether that will have any impact when I'm driving, even when I'm pushing it a bit? Or will that kind of upgrade only really be apparent when the car is being pushed to the limits on a track?

Again, personally speaking I figure I may as well have all the bits even if I never use them - there if I need them and all that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom