Looking to buy my first mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

john_1988

Hi everyone, I thought I would join the forum as next year I will be on the hunt for a 2011 C220 cdi sport saloon as I want something a bit more comfortable & economical.

I currently drive a Focus ST3 which has been brilliant but it's only getting around 22mpg around town.

Look forward to talking to you all

John

Welcome to the forum. 4 months is enough time for me to buy and sell 2 cars, let alone plan for 1 car :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum John.

Hello,

Depends on if you do the miles.

Stick with petrol if you don't do many miles and just town driving.

Hello John
Welcome to the Forum :thumb:

Thanks for the welcomes. I do average around 6k a year & would do more if i had a more economic car.

I have been looking at the current c class and the urban mpg figure seems to be over 10 mpg better with the new semi auto box fitted. Is this actually the case or is this just propaganda as it says it will do 47 mpg which is great. I would be happy with 40 tbh.

John if you are doing mainly around town and that low mileage I would seriously consider petrol over diesel. Unless you give them fairly long high speed runs on a semi regular basis you run the risk of clogging up the DPF which is a £1k+ item to get replaced and wouldn't be covered by any warranty.

Having said that if you can make sure to give it a blast often enough to clear out the filter then should be fine!

Hello and welcome John :thumb:

I used to drive a Golf R32 and was getting around 27 mpg doing similar mileage to yourself, around £7k per year. I tried a diesel (Audi A3) but as previously mentioned, unless you are planning on doing long journeys you will not see the benefit of this. I also missed the 'feel' that you get from a petrol engine so traded it for my current car - a CLK55 AMG and I haven't looked back since! Good luck in your search for a Merc, you won't look back after driving one!!

Hi and welcome. At 22mpg I hope you're having fun rather than just sitting in traffic ..

My c250 is giving me good fuel economy returns, albeit with a manual box and only 40% town driving, the remainder m/way. Have tracked on fuelly.com where there are several real life examples if you want to take a look.

Hi John and welcome.
Have a 2011 (Nov. facelift) C220 Sport saloon auto. Do just over 1000 miles a month on average with a couple of long motorway runs every month plus local stopping and starting so a good mix for a diesel. Car is averaging just under 50mpg.
Drove back from Gatwick last month (about 240 miles) and was showing 53mpg average on the obc. Wasn't being daft but was making good time.

I use the car pretty much every evening & then at the weekend I do a good 60 mile journey quite regularly. I have looked at the petrol engines and I'm not to keen on them as I'm used to a lot of low down torque. My annual mileage will definitely go up if I get a diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom