Looking to buy this laptop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just bought a similiar spec or maybe slightly better spec laptop for my daughter for about the same price from Tesco.

Russ

Actually, after digging around a bit more, don't you fancy this 17" one (bit less RAM but bigger screen and HDD) for just a little more or are you after the 15" for portability?

Should be ok, and nice spec for the money. I've found that the previous generation of cheaper Toshibas (pre Core2Duo) often had a very plastic-y feel, panels not quite lining up, and poor screen hinges that became very stiff after just over a year, causing the plastic to crack... out of warranty.

That said, those problems were mostly on the Equium range, which is the cheap and cheerful range that's positioned "below" the Satellite range, which are generally good machines.

I personally don't like Toshiba's designs, but that's a personal thing. :)

The 17" toshiba seems like a good buy also, lower spec processor, bus and less memory though, but the bigger screen is tempting. :cool:

Which laptop did you buy from Tescos Russ?

I think Toshiba have a generally good reputation for laptops as far as I'm aware.

Would not touch another Toshiba my daughter had a Satellite pro and I bought it on top end of spec a couple of yeras ago for £1200, absolute nightmare screen probs, overheating, noisy never again. Just bought her a Fujitsu Siemens from Tesco £300 What a brilliant machine. I also just bought for myself a second user Dell lattitude D420 off e bay ,centrino dual core 1.5 Gb Ram all for £130 and trhe guy had loads of them, it arrived and was mint. My advice Toshiba steer well clear it cost me a lot of money will never buy that brand of anything again.

Last edited:
Toshiba have a problem making larger screens for laptops. We've have a few circa 17" at the office and the plastic around the hinges cracks and they need to be replaced.

We now go with HP and they've been superb.

Which laptop did you buy from Tescos Russ?

I bought the the HP one, can't remember the model number.
It had 3 GB memory & Vista Home Premium, Lightscribe drive etc

Russ

If you buy a Toshiba take out the additional cover plan, as I have come across 3 of them, 2 of the pakced up after 13 months (different faults) and on after 15.

If you are interested I have a couple of HP Compaq 6710b 's coming in on Thursday/Friday when I get back from the US.

Feel free to do a google search on them - I have sourced plenty of these for many people including a few on MB Forum. Everyone loves them.

Drop me a PM if you're interested - I don't want to turn this into a sales advert.

rgds
- Was!

Hello

I buy Toshiba's for work probably 250 a year and very rarely have any problems, those that do are the R500's (small portege one). So much so I bought a 17" widescreen one 3 years ago and then last year updated mine to a newer 17" Vista machine.

Very impressed for the money. I paid about £450 last year and its been with us to Europe a couple of times and used in the caravan.

Its on Every night (on here !!!) and the 17" widescreen is great.

Storage at 250gb is pretty good but I backup anyway to a external. If you want to surf the net, type the odd letter and view your pics its great !

Battery lasts around 2 hrs which isn't great but then Its plugged in a lot which kills it. Its a pay off for the large screen.

Mine also had a 1 year extended warranty if you register it, so in effect 2 years.

Laptops are much cheaper now so really would not spend anymore.

So yes I would recommend Toshiba

Just for clarification -

The Toshibas that I am referring to have all been the Satellite range, which is the range BigK is looking at.

The Porteges are the business range, which are more robust that the Satellites, and more expensive as well.

- Anyway, my recent experience (past 2-3yrs) of the Satellite range has not been a good one - I used to have a Portege about 8 yrs ago which was very well put together.

However, I do have a genuine bias towards HP though..... :D

Just for clarification -

The Toshibas that I am referring to have all been the Satellite range, which is the range BigK is looking at.

The Porteges are the business range, which are more robust that the Satellites, and more expensive as well.

- Anyway, my recent experience (past 2-3yrs) of the Satellite range has not been a good one - I used to have a Portege about 8 yrs ago which was very well put together.

However, I do have a genuine bias towards HP though..... :D

Totally agree Satellites = Junk & Portege = Robust

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom