Looking To Buy W205 C63 AMG Wagon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom220SC

Car
VX220 Supercharged / BMW 335D
Afternoon All,

I am currently looking at changing my 340i Touring for a W205 C63 AMG Wagon and have been reading up on buyers guides over the last few months so think I have everything I need to make the move. They seem pretty bulletproof with reasonable running costs.

The pan roof & AMG Performance exhaust are must haves and if in budget I would love an S model for the special seats (Albeit I have read they can be uncomfortable doing distance which I do not so no worries there). This is the car I like the look of if anyone knows anything about it or if the current owner is on here even better ?

One thing that I am really not sure about is the fake exhaust tips and the fact there is no central shifter.

The tips is something I know will drive me crazy ! Is there anyway of rectifying this ? I’ve seen other systems such as Armytrix & Akrapovic which look like they may be all connected is this the case ? Ideally I’d like to keep the oem AMG system and somehow modify so this is not as noticeable maybe ?

Has anyone made the move from BMW to Mercedes AMG ? I am from a long line of BMWs and sometimes like to shift with the auto selector so worried I may miss that as well.

I have wanted an AMG going back some years, I put a deposit down on a 6.2 wagon which fell through and I ended up with my then F10 M5 which I loved (Around 2017) I have since had 335d Touring Stage 2, Golf R Estate Stage 2 and then current 340i Touring Stage 2 +.

I have no doubt this is a step up from what I currently have and the sound of the AMG alone is enough for me to go for it. It would just be nice to hear some opinions with me being totally new to AMG.

Anyway apologies for the essay and look forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

I am currently looking at changing my 340i Touring for a W205 C63 AMG Wagon and have been reading up on buyers guides over the last few months so think I have everything I need to make the move. They seem pretty bulletproof with reasonable running costs.

The pan roof & AMG Performance exhaust are must haves and if in budget I would love an S model for the special seats (Albeit I have read they can be uncomfortable doing distance which I do not so no worries there). This is the car I like the look of if anyone knows anything about it or if the current owner is on here even better ?

One thing that I am really not sure about is the fake exhaust tips and the fact there is no central shifter.

The tips is something I know will drive me crazy ! Is there anyway of rectifying this ? I’ve seen other systems such as Armytrix & Akrapovic which look like they may be all connected is this the case ? Ideally I’d like to keep the oem AMG system and somehow modify so this is not as noticeable maybe ?

Has anyone made the move from BMW to Mercedes AMG ? I am from a long line of BMWs and sometimes like to shift with the auto selector so worried I may miss that as well.

I have wanted an AMG going back some years, I put a deposit down on a 6.2 wagon which fell through and I ended up with my then F10 M5 which I loved (Around 2017) I have since had 335d Touring Stage 2, Golf R Estate Stage 2 and then current 340i Touring.

I have no doubt this is a step up from what I currently have and the sound of the AMG alone is enough for me to go for it. It would just be nice to hear some opinions with new being totally new to AMG.

Anyway apologies for the essay and look forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks
Tom
Tom, you good taste in cars.

Do try the seats in any car you drive over a fair period of time. Both seats polarise opinion, i’m one of the people who can’t get on with the performance seat, but I would have thought based on a quick test drive that it would be fine and just a matter of getting used it. But for me at least it wasn’t and it wasn’t anything to do with the length of the journey. I’ve read and heard some people say that they can’t get on with the standard/comfort seat.

I really wouldn’t worry about the position of the gear shift or whether the exhaust tips are fake. Both things may be different to what you have/expect, but they’re no better and no worse. You can still “manually” choose when to change gears, but you’ll do it with paddles rather than with the gear shift lever. If you really like the car, then neither of these things will matter, and if they do then it’s almost certainly not the car for you.

Have you driven one yet?

Desk research is wonderful, as are opinions on t'interweb.

But only as a preface to actually driving them, because no amount of written words will tell you what they really feel like to you with your own experience, your actual driving pattern, and preferences.

I say this having made mistakes with both big M series and AMG's in the past which were hyped up but fell short when subjected to City roads and boring South East England driving speeds.

The M340i's a cracking motor. What is it about the C63 that catches your eye? (Although the C63 is obviously the better wagon).

Tom, you good taste in cars.

Do try the seats in any car you drive over a fair period of time. Both seats polarise opinion, i’m one of the people who can’t get on with the performance seat, but I would have thought based on a quick test drive that it would be fine and just a matter of getting used it. But for me at least it wasn’t and it wasn’t anything to do with the length of the journey. I’ve read and heard some people say that they can’t get on with the standard/comfort seat.

I really wouldn’t worry about the position of the gear shift or whether the exhaust tips are fake. Both things may be different to what you have/expect, but they’re no better and no worse. You can still “manually” choose when to change gears, but you’ll do it with paddles rather than with the gear shift lever. If you really like the car, then neither of these things will matter, and if they do then it’s almost certainly not the car for you.

Have you driven one yet?
Thanks for the reply Bobby Dazzler,

I’ve not actually driven one yet, I have a friend with an AMG GTR which he has said I can have a drive and listen to but it’s obviously a totally different car / experience but think they may have the same engine ?

Desk research is wonderful, as are opinions on t'interweb.

But only as a preface to actually driving them, because no amount of written words will tell you what they really feel like to you with your own experience, your actual driving pattern, and preferences.

I say this having made mistakes with both big M series and AMG's in the past which were hyped up but fell short when subjected to City roads and boring South East England driving speeds.

The M340i's a cracking motor. What is it about the C63 that catches your eye? (Although the C63 is obviously the better wagon).
Thanks for the reply Mike, totally agree with everything you have said.

So mine is actually a 2017 F31 340i Gen 1 B58 as opposed to the latest gen 2 M340i.

The answer to your question is quite simply that AMG V8 sound and the fact I am potentially running out of time to own such a thing with the way the world is going.

The 340i is an amazing car and I do love it, will be hard to change in all honesty as it ticks so many boxes. It’s actually an individual spec 1 of 1 so is a great spec as well.

Thanks for the reply Bobby Dazzler,

I’ve not actually driven one yet, I have a friend with an AMG GTR which he has said I can have a drive and listen to but it’s obviously a totally different car / experience but think they may have the same engine ?
You really need to drive one. Amd driving the GT R is in no way similar and so won’t help you much. It might help you want a GT R more than you used to.

They have a very similar engine. The block and many components are share, but they are sufficiently different to have different engine codes (M178). The GT C/R has different turbos to even the other GT models, and all GT models are dry sumped.

I can’t as I know that’s the one I’d want 😂 but albeit I don’t do mega miles I still do enough to know the fuel costs will be to much.
I’d be stunned if you could discern the difference in world cost between running the 6.2 and 4.0 engines. You’d probably notice on long very very gentle motorway cruises at 55 mph, but in urban, mixed and spirited driving then you won’t notice the difference.

You really need to drive one. Amd driving the GT R is in no way similar and so won’t help you much. It might help you want a GT R more than you used to.

They have a very similar engine. The block and many components are share, but they are sufficiently different to have different engine codes (M178). The GT C/R has different turbos to even the other GT models, and all GT models are dry sumped.
My thoughts exactly, thanks for the engine info good to know

I’d be stunned if you could discern the difference in world cost between running the 6.2 and 4.0 engines. You’d probably notice on long very very gentle motorway cruises at 55 mph, but in urban, mixed and spirited driving then you won’t notice the difference.
Oh really ? Now that is interesting if so

Oh really ? Now that is interesting if so
I genuinely think you’d be surprised. If the W204(M156/6.2 was of interest then I wouldn’t rule it based on fuel consumption (alone). They’ll both drink plenty! Get a drive in both, you’ll then know for sure. I’ll apologise now in case you end up liking both equally 😁

Thanks for the reply Mike, totally agree with everything you have said.
So mine is actually a 2017 F31 340i Gen 1 B58 as opposed to the latest gen 2 M340i.
The answer to your question is quite simply that AMG V8 sound and the fact I am potentially running out of time to own such a thing with the way the world is going.
The 340i is an amazing car and I do love it, will be hard to change in all honesty as it ticks so many boxes. It’s actually an individual spec 1 of 1 so is a great spec as well.
(Cough. Just between you and me) Let me know when you come to sell the 340i...

If you're happy with the 340i and looking for noise rather than jiggly ride, I'd be dubious about the all round practicality of the Performance seats. They're a great "feature" but can be a bit "daft" out of place.

Oh, and wagons give a whole different vibe to GT's. Much as I value the practicalities of the coffin, an intimate GT, from any manufacturer, gives a unique buzz / driving feel

Last edited:
I genuinely think you’d be surprised. If the W204(M156/6.2 was of interest then I wouldn’t rule it based on fuel consumption (alone). They’ll both drink plenty! Get a drive in both, you’ll then know for sure. I’ll apologise now in case you end up liking both equally 😁
I was assuming the W205 would be similar to mine currently with it being stage 2 + whereas looking at the guides and opinions from others the 6.2 would be more than double but it’s all pub talk I suppose as everyone’s scenarios are different.

(Cough. Just between you and me) Let me know when you come to sell the 340i...

If you're happy with the 340i and looking for noise rather than jiggly ride, I'd be dubious about the all round practicality of the Performance seats. They're a great "feature" but can be a bit "daft" out of place.

Oh, and wagons give a whole different vibe to GT's. Much as I value the practicalities of the coffin, an intimate GT, from any manufacturer, gives a whole different buzz / driving feel

Will do Mike 👍🏻 and thanks for the info re the seats etc

You really need to have a drive in both the 6.2 and the 4.0tt before deciding.
Completely different way of putting down the power, the tt is instant, the 6.2 doesn't come alive until the revs are up.
The tt is quicker, more economical (not by much) but most of all has a far nicer interior. The 204 is beginning to look dated compared to the 205.
I base my comparisons on driving a W212 E class with a 6.2 engine, and a short drive in a W213 E class with the 4.0tt.
Day and night difference in the two cars. The 213 is far better.

The 205 is about more than just the engine though. Limited slip differential in the back as standard for starters. It’s front suspension design is double wishbone, and a huge step up in handling over the 204, which was essentially a very mild update of the 203.
The m156 6.2 is still an impressive piece of work, and is the dominant feature of the 204 platform. It won’t deliver the fuel economy of the m177 but as a package the newer car trumps it. Many diehards still nail their colours to the big v8, but the world has moved on…

Completely different way of putting down the power, the tt is instant, the 6.2 doesn't come alive until the revs are up.
The tt is quicker, more economical (not by much) but most of all has a far nicer interior. The 204 is beginning to look dated compared to the 205.
I base my comparisons on driving a W212 E class with a 6.2 engine, and a short drive in a W213 E class with the 4.0tt.
Thanks for the message AMGeed, it would be nice to have a drive in both but it is easier said than done these days I usually prefer to get to a point where I am looking at a car I want knowing if I drive it there’s a good chance I’ll buy it as wouldnt want to be a time waster.

I think your points have confirmed I am swaying towards the W205 albeit the 6.2 is a car I have wanted for years.

The 205 is about more than just the engine though. Limited slip differential in the back as standard for starters. It’s front suspension design is double wishbone, and a huge step up in handling over the 204, which was essentially a very mild update of the 203.
The m156 6.2 is still an impressive piece of work, and is the dominant feature of the 204 platform. It won’t deliver the fuel economy of the m177 but as a package the newer car trumps it. Many diehards still nail their colours to the big v8, but the world has moved on…
Appreciate the information Jobsworth, again really good input. It’s refreshing to be on a forum that’s got some activity ! Some really good points actually re the LSD etc as I’ve not seen many PP 6.2 estates for sale.

I’m certainly swaying towards the W205 in particular one like the white S model I posted above which seems to be priced pretty well.

I don’t suppose you know of this car at all ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom