Looking to get a cls grand edition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pomsy

Car
Integra dc5
Hi all,

Looking to purchase a cls 350 grand edition this year just wondering what there like to live with?
Have they got cam belt or chain?
Common problems?

Thanks a lot Ian

Thirsty , 20 around town in the winter and 40 on the motorway at sensible speeds.

Consumables can be expensive if you are doing a lot of miles.

Insurance not too bad for a 49 year old

Poor extended cold starting can be a glow plug(s) or their relay (common fault) , i changed mine last week.

Plenty of realistic performance from the engine , gearbox needs to be a little bit quicker to respond as it is seriously slow.

Servicing is expensive at an average of £500 pa if you go through the dealer.

Comfy , quiet , refined and at around £10k a bargain compared to its new price of around £50k.

Try and get the best spec`d one you can , Harmon Kardon , memory pack , paddle shift , parking sensors ,heated seats.

Airmatic is nice but expensive to repair on a car that is 6-7 years old.

Kenny

Last edited:
Make sure whatever spec your looking at it has the basics too, they came with a few choice extras as standard, eg xenons, etc, but still didn't have the always ticked options like parktronic thrown in. A CLS without sensors is a disaster to park as you can't see anything out the back and there are a surprising number of GEs out there without them.

I just part exchanged my 2010 grand edition for a newer 2013 shooting brake. it was sold at auction last week and is now on the spirecars website, it was well stacked kit wise, servicing can be expensive but I had the service plan from merc at £40pm . had full parking sensors, command, 4 zone climate, sunroof, amg body kit,airmatic, heated and cooling front seats and heated reared seats. it was the best car I've had, but I needed the extra space of the shooting brake. did have a new aircon condenser in September last year, front pads and discs earlier in the year, stepper motor behind dash in 2015 replaced, had some marks on paint, I replied the cup holder rings with new ones too, which can chip over time, and a new tyre. I am nor associated with spire, just want to make members on here aware in case they buy it. I did give merc retail all my receipts so hope these get passed on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom