Looking to get back to MB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mymini007

Car
Mini (real one) CLS320
Morning all.
I sold my CLS about 7 years ago.
I am now looking to buy myself a toy. I am looking at an SL, preferably a 500 but will consider anything.

Looking at some form 2000 ish, I am seeing them from anything like £4000 upwards.

Is this about right? Are there any inherent problems I need to be looking for. I would be happy to spend up to around £7k,, bt as it' just a toy, the smaller the price the better.

Assuming you’re looking at an R230 as opposed to a run out R129 you need to take care with a twenty year old early R230 SL500. ABC suspension is expensive to fix and lots of electrical gremlins to empty your wallet. Boot seals fail and fry various electrical systems handily located under the boot floor. SL350 has traditional springs as opposed to ABC suspension so that can mitigate some of the risk. They are a bit of a risk really.
Personally I’d go for a late run out R129. A different beast but a lot simpler to maintain. But you’ll need to spend a bit to get a good one.

I do like the R129, so not ruling it out completely. But it was the 230 I was looking at.
It will be a 2nd car, so will be garaged until the sun comes out. So the leaking shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Is the 350 a big jump from the 500?

Is the CLK 55 as complicated?

Maybe that would be a better option?

Is the CLK 55 as complicated?

Maybe that would be a better option?
It would definitely be a faster option... :)

The CLK / A209 is based on the C-Class W203. Not really comparable with an SL, I would have thought? I.e. in terms of luxury, refinement, technology, options etc. It will definitely be a more basic and simple car to maintain than the SL (though possibly not on AMG guise).

I have a CLK350 cabrio as a Sunday fun car and it is more than up to the job. CLK55 would be a great weekend car and a little more practical if you want to tour. Not an SL, but a nice alternative. And simpler to maintain.

I have a CLK350 cabrio as a Sunday fun car and it is more than up to the job. CLK55 would be a great weekend car and a little more practical if you want to tour. Not an SL, but a nice alternative. And simpler to maintain.
I have found a couple of clk 500s for around the £4k mark. May be worth a look too

I have found a couple of clk 500s for around the £4k mark. May be worth a look too
Absolutely. I wanted a 500 cab Sport but rare as hens teeth. So went for the 350. 500 definitely worth a look!

Absolutely. I wanted a 500 cab Sport but rare as hens teeth. So went for the 350. 500 definitely worth a look!
I have been looking a couple of 350s
They look nice, is there anything i need to be looking out for, the bodywork seems quite good on these?
I take it the rust issue was but to bet by the time these came along?

Buy post 2005 to avoid rust issues. Issues with the 3.0 and 3.5 V6 petrols from 2005 to 2007 so try and buy a 2008/9 run out model. Check the engine number before buying to be sure. Google Mercedes balance shaft issue for more details and affected engines. Get a good one and they are sublime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom