Looking to purchase a B-Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingdom35

Car
Civic
Hi All

Keeping it simple...looking to buy a B-Class Petrol. Year 63/14.

Is there a guide to help check various angles when I'm looking at the car?
Anyone with similar experience?

I'm going to start to look at the Sports version (ive heard about the 18's being too large and affecting the ride).

Also am I right that services are every 2 years/15k as we will probably only use the car for 8-9k miles per year.

Is there anything major that goes wrong with them or to look out for tale tale signs?

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks
Dan
progress.gif

I have a diesel B Class and the servicing on that is 15000 miles or annually. I would expect the petrol is the same but not sure. My last service and MoT was just under £200 at an indie so not crippling costs. Can't help with any other issues, but I have now done 107k miles in mine and it's still going well. I have the W245 Sport with 17" wheels and the ride is a little stiff. I personally wouldn't fancy 18" on a B Class.

I have a diesel B Class and the servicing on that is 15000 miles or annually. I would expect the petrol is the same but not sure. My last service and MoT was just under £200 at an indie so not crippling costs. Can't help with any other issues, but I have now done 107k miles in mine and it's still going well. I have the W245 Sport with 17" wheels and the ride is a little stiff. I personally wouldn't fancy 18" on a B Class.

Aggh I see. Makes sense.
I probably would also go local as well, I do know that the service plan via MB is £27 pm, so basically £325 per year.

Do you have the comfort suspension or the sports suspension?
I'm guessing yours is an SE and not a Sport?

WE have the sport suspension and it is quite low. Any speed hump and I bottom the car scraping the engine undercover. Though why have sport suspension on a 109bhp car is a little strange to say the least :D

i have the W245 B200 diesel sport with the 139bhp engine, just need to go slow over large speed humps.

I found mine quite noisey too and Merc did release a "taxi kit" comprising of under bonnet sound deadening. my undercover is missing and I'm still trying to get a 2nd hand one but they don't come up very often.

there's nothing really wrong with them just ensure the milage checks out and that its got a service history or your getting it very cheap
the ones your looking at will be the W246 type with different engines and platform ( more traditional chassis as opposed to the sandwich construction in the W245)

nice cars though and a lot of room for a small footprint

WE have the sport suspension and it is quite low. Any speed hump and I bottom the car scraping the engine undercover. Though why have sport suspension on a 109bhp car is a little strange to say the least :D

I see...so the pre 2011 version. So I would be looking at the next gen of B Class. I'm guessing this has been improved in every area since.
But I do see what you mean, it is low after all. I think they were trying to keep up with the market and offer something a bit more racing looking by the looks of it. Certainly got my attention.

i have the W245 B200 diesel sport with the 139bhp engine, just need to go slow over large speed humps.

I found mine quite noisey too and Merc did release a "taxi kit" comprising of under bonnet sound deadening. my undercover is missing and I'm still trying to get a 2nd hand one but they don't come up very often.

there's nothing really wrong with them just ensure the milage checks out and that its got a service history or your getting it very cheap
the ones your looking at will be the W246 type with different engines and platform ( more traditional chassis as opposed to the sandwich construction in the W245)

nice cars though and a lot of room for a small footprint

Hmm how have you found the "upkeep" of the B Class? Much gone wrong and has it been expensive if so?

Both are low mileage, the 12k mileage one has been a mobility vehicle and that's 12k over 4 years...crazy.

I know what you mean about the footprint, our alternative option is a Sportage and I really think the B Class has more room.

We had a B170 sport for a few years, now a B180 SE (petrol BE). 50,000 miles, six years. Rear discs need replacing more often than other cars we've had but this isn't too pricy. Rear shocks at about 60000. Various bulbs, wiper blades, tyres, pads. MB service (15550/12 months) not too costly if you shop around (avoiding London) and you do get full mobilo (a good deal) on cars after (I think April) 08. Fairly cheap to keep so far. SE ride is better on the 16" alloys, but Sport was OK on 17". Wouldn't fancy 18".

My wife had a 2012 W246 B180 D auto for 2 years, after having the old model for 3 years.

Although still called a B Class, there is no relation between the two variants. Both good cars in their own way (although the old 2l diesel was very agricultural.

I drove the new one for over 1,000 miles one day through France in awful weather. It was a sport on 18s and I found the ride ok. It averaged over 60 mpg.

I'd fully recommend either model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom