Looking to replace BMW with Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carabosse

Car
(C205) C300 AMG-Line Coupé
Hi all. I currently own a 335i coupe BMW - significantly modified - but am considering replacing it with an E-Class Coupe - probably an E350. One of the principal reasons for thinking about jumping ship from BMW (who I have been with for 11 years and 2 cars) is the state of UK roads, i.e. potholed and rather poor.

I notice that the V6 versions of the E-Class coupe have sport suspension, which made me wonder whether I am going to get any real improvement in ride comfort. Is there much difference between SE and Sport as regards that?

Any comments/help appreciated. :)

Hi, I have an E46 320 which over the 130000 miles we have owned it has required 5 sets of lower wishbones but little else except consumables. Your car I believe has the same front suspension set up which is known to be hungry on front suspension. I've just bought an E class 211 estate which has a more comfy suspension set up. Being an Elegance I don't think it will go around corners quite so quickly or be so easy to counter steer out of tail happy moments.:bannana:
The Merc is a very comfy car.

I see my E class has a C/S button which I presume tightens up the suspension?

Last edited:
No, just changes the gear changes from comfort to standard.

If your 335i is on run flats the Merc will be sublime, if you have ditched them you will see a difference but not as much as you might expect.

Thanks for the replies. I ditched the runflats when I bought the BMW and later fitted Alpina springs to improve ride comfort. But I still get complaints from passengers! :rolleyes:

Just hoping the E-class coupe on sport suspension (there's no choice with the V6 models) will give a noticeable improvement and stop the complaints. Lol! ;)

Cheers! have only driven around Jersey so far so lots to learn.

I just came from a well modified 335i too :)
(E90 post?)

The new E Class SE is like a magic carpet in comparison.

BMW was on Bilstein B4 Sports, lowered on H&R and non RFTs, uprated bars, LSD etc.
It was smoother than the oem M Sport suspension and Flintstone tyres too.

But the Sport Merc I cannot comment upon.

Booked to drive an E350CDI Coupe next Tuesday. I'll be driving it over a route - with rather poor roads - that I drive regularly in my 335i, so will have a direct comparison.

Really hoping it will feel like an improvement. The more I read about the E-class coupe (W207, I believe?) the more keen I am becoming on the idea of jumping ship from BMW! :)

Hey there, trust me when I say an E-Coupe/Cabrio on "sport" suspension is far from comfortable over bumps, standard 18" wheels and conti tyres are just awful in my opinion - tyres being the biggest culprit of that. I've got bigger aftermarket 19" wheels on mine with vredestein tyres and those tyres make a massive difference to ride comfort despite being lowered as well. I guess it depends on your perception of comfort over bumps but you'll see on your test drive with your usual driving route whether you can get along with it. Biggest thing you'll notice is how quiet the E350CDI over the BMW and its ability to pick up a whole lot of speed without realising it.

I've got bigger aftermarket 19" wheels on mine with vredestein tyres and those tyres make a massive difference to ride comfort despite being lowered as well.

That is very interesting - and useful, Doc! :)

Test drove a C207 350CDI today - very impressed. :thumb:

Just have to wait for the dealer to find something of my spec/colour. Then it's farewell to BMW! :D

Hi all. I currently own a 335i coupe BMW - significantly modified - but am considering replacing it with an E-Class Coupe

OP - me too moving on from a Modded 335i, time to try pastures new....

I just came from a well modified 335i too :)
(E90 post?)

Ah ha - found you 2 on here ;)

Just rounding up the contract hire offers on a new E63 AMG Estate, i'll be ordering this week hopefully.

Last edited:
You're going to miss that 35i engine, I did!

There is a new E400 twin turbo 3 litre petrol due out later this year that sounds similar to the BMW N54/N55 engines which could be fun.

Understand the need to change to a diesel for fuel economy but the current 350 petrol is a decent engine with low emissions and good mpg too.

If I get GAD to tweak the E350CDI's output up to 310bhp and 750Nm torque I think I'll be able to live with the heartbreak of saying goodbye to the BMW 335I. Lol! :D

I'm certainly not getting the diesel for economy, although something better than my current average of 23mpg would be quite nice. ;)

Hi ive got a coupe 350cdi 125 edition and they are fairly quick cars.
Ive been looking at the gad map as well and tempted to get it.
Any idea on the cost of it ?
One thing I will say for my car is the build quality is far better than the recent Bms ive owned including my mrs 5GT.
I average 42mpg from mine and on a run around 47mpg.

I believe remapping is around £575 on its own, but you may want to consider a few other bits and pieces like DPF removal and EGR disable while they have the car. I understand it costs (very) significantly less to have all the work done in one session rather than piecemeal.

Going to see what may be my new driving companion today - it's the right colour and has fully loaded spec. It's over an hour's drive each way for me, so the car had better live up to its promise! Lol! ;)

Signed on the dotted line! :D

Spec: C207 E350CDI Coupe in Diamond Silver. 62-plate. 2300 miles. Dealer is previous owner.

Kitted with: COMAND, Parktronic, Tracker, Tiptronic, Electric front seats, full leather, AMG alloys, AMG body kit, reversing camera, DAB radio, Lane assist,

Just over 2 years manufacturer warranty left.

Reasonable p/x for my BMW. Will put up some pics when I get it... about 2-3 weeks because they have to transfer my personal plate.

Congratulations on choosing a car! :bannana: can't you use it whilst the plate transfer happens?

It's a long way from fully loaded though, that term being very abused nowadays, but a pleasing spec nonetheless.

Congrats on the purchase has it got 18s or 19s ?
Let me know if you decide to get the map done as we may be able to get a deal if a few of us have it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom