Looks like I get to choose a company car, Merc or BMW?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never thought of this before but are Mercedes shooting themselves in the foot by offering a much more appealing A Class that buyers are now choosing over a C Class?

Will be interesting to follow how the A Class sales develop.

Never thought of this before but are Mercedes shooting themselves in the foot by offering a much more appealing A Class that buyers are now choosing over a C Class?

Will be interesting to follow how the A Class sales develop.
I think they are totally different cars I am not sure you will get the majority of c class owners opting for an A Class.

This is already the 4th buyer between 2 forums i've read of that either previously had a C Class or was initially looking at a C Class and then opted for an A Class.

I agree they are totally different cars, but they obviously now appeal to a more similar demographic than the previous A Class did.

If the A class was RWD I'd get one, as it were...

C class or 3 series for me. I've been speaking with a forum member who has a new 320d and had a C250 and says the 320d is most excellent.

This is already the 4th buyer between 2 forums i've read of that either previously had a C Class or was initially looking at a C Class and then opted for an A Class.

I agree they are totally different cars, but they obviously now appeal to a more similar demographic than the previous A Class did.

Which presents an interesting problem for MB if the A cannibalises sales of other MB models. (Obviously not such a problem if the A is more profitable than those products).

If the A class was RWD I'd get one, as it were...

C class or 3 series for me. I've been speaking with a forum member who has a new 320d and had a C250 and says the 320d is most excellent.
Is that straight up you would swap an estate for one if so you clearly dont need an estate, although they do look great.

Is that straight up you would swap an estate for one if so you clearly dont need an estate, although they do look great.

I like the hatch back practicality of an estate, I could squeeze all my gear into a hatch so long as the seats folder down. An estate is a luxury. I find with camping gear, cameras etc and deck chairs a saloon a penance.

Plus the estates look better than the saloon. Its that superficial. I'd never have a coupe or 3dr car as a main car. I like to lob things on back seats.

A 320d touring would be fine for me, a C220cdi or C250cdi W205 tourer fine, a 1er I could squeeze into and an A class I could be fine with. I'll do a thread (probably on Sunday) as to why I feel a large car isn't my thing....

I see what you mean about the size thing we are coming down from an X5 or plan too and the estate does look awesome.

Don't forget Modman that even if the company give you a poor business mileage allowance (say its 20p per mile) then you can still claim the difference up to 45p (so 25p per business mile if company rate is 20p) yourself through your self-assessment tax return. If you do more than 10,000 business miles I think the rate you can claim drops.

Don't forget Modman that even if the company give you a poor business mileage allowance (say its 20p per mile) then you can still claim the difference up to 45p (so 25p per business mile if company rate is 20p) yourself through your self-assessment tax return. If you do more than 10,000 business miles I think the rate you can claim drops.

20p would be nice ... I get 15p! I don't have a bloody clue about tax etc and little nuggets like this are so useful so I can investigate further. Thank you, Dan.

If it is a company car you can claim....

12p per mile up to 1600cc
15p per mile between 1600 and 2000cc
18p per mile above 2000cc

The 45p rate is if you are using your own car, then 25p per mile after you have done 10000 miles. (plus 5p per mile extra if carrying a passenger).

Company car tax / fuel efficiency might be playing its part in sales of A-class vs C-class.

Also the current C-class looks like a natural evolution of the previous one. Whereas the A-class looks new and fresh, which can only benefit sales of A-class.

I would definitely go for the 3-series.. The real world mpg from those cars is a few years ahead of mercs tbh. Merc E-class is the way to go for a real exec drive, but the C-class is just not as good as the 3-series... not just yet. You also get more for your money in the 3. Stay away from the mtech crap and the runflats.

just my 2p

I had a run in an E90. It rolled a bit too much for my tastes. The M sport one drove so much nicer.

I'd only consider M sport and AMG sport Mercedes trims. All lesser models are to be dismissed...LOL

I had a run in an E90. It rolled a bit too much for my tastes. The M sport one drove so much nicer.

I'd only consider M sport and AMG sport Mercedes trims. All lesser models are to be dismissed...LOL

I didn't have the chance to push either of the 3's I used, but the SE was a much nicer place to be (call me old??) in my opinion

My car now handles exceptionally well... but I am still trying to get used to the ride... its hard :(

If it is a company car you can claim....

12p per mile up to 1600cc
15p per mile between 1600 and 2000cc
18p per mile above 2000cc

The 45p rate is if you are using your own car, then 25p per mile after you have done 10000 miles. (plus 5p per mile extra if carrying a passenger).

if you are a 40% tax payer and you have a car allowance you can claim the difference between the official own car 45p and the HMRC allowance of say 18p for a 2000cc diesel.
EG: you take car allowance and do 5000 miles a year company business in your C220. at 18p a mile you get 900gbp back.If you were to do that without car allowance you would get 45p a mile so 2250 GBP

the difference is 1350 and 40% of that is 540 GBP

thats what you can claim back against your tax code

Yes..you claim tax relief on the difference ..not the actual difference ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom