Loose baffles in petrol tank R230

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1945wickedred

Car
Mercedes SL350
Hi good morning,just got a nasty shock after having a big service,heard this clanging noise a few days ago and could not find out what it was but my mechanic did,it seems that this model R230 from 2003 on has this fault in the fuel tank,the baffle was put in to stop the fuel from slushing around but now it seems to be an inherent part failure which Mercedes Benz do not seem to want to rectify for us,you would think that they would do a recall to put this fault right.It now becomes a major job to replace the tank,most of the rear end has to come out,people are saying it can cost up to £4000,what a rip off by MB.So my question today is does anyone know anybody who can do this job for me at a reasonable rate.I live in Essex.Help please.:eek:

We can do it.

Give me a call for an estimate.

Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a 2008 R230 350SL with 45k miles and am very pleased so far however, please could someone confirm something for me. I am hearing the fuel sloshing around behind me and am wondering if I have the well known fuel tank baffle issue although there are no banging/knocking noises that would be associated with a loose baffle moving around it is only the sound of liquid moving around. (When I test drove it I had the roof down and did not notice it then).

Maybe worth getting a quote From Mercedes Benz Waterhouse Chelmsford Authorised Workshop,

01245 610000

They Recently done my Fuel tank on my e55k

Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a 2008 R230 350SL with 45k miles and am very pleased so far however, please could someone confirm something for me. I am hearing the fuel sloshing around behind me and am wondering if I have the well known fuel tank baffle issue although there are no banging/knocking noises that would be associated with a loose baffle moving around it is only the sound of liquid moving around. (When I test drove it I had the roof down and did not notice it then).
Some very early 230's suffered from this and the original solution seemed to be the installation of another baffle in the tank but these came loose in some tanks and caused the rattling sound. I would have thought that by 2008 the issue had been solved. Replacing the tank is expensive due to the amount of dismantling required. If a baffle has come adrift some indies have a solution- see PCS post above. Otherwise just keep the tank full!

Unfortunately I hear the sloshing around even with a full tank. As I'm not actually hearing any banging/knocking noises I guess I can live with it. Thanks for reply though.

Unfortunately I hear the sloshing around even with a full tank. As I'm not actually hearing any banging/knocking noises I guess I can live with it. Thanks for reply though.
Are you sure it's the fuel tank and not water sloshing about in the spare wheel well or just in the boot, SL's being prone to water ingress into this area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom