Loosing Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aleem1964

Car
mercedes C220 CDI
Hello guys, I am a new member and would appreciate your expert advice and suggestions. I have C220 CDI 2002 model, and over a week a go I noticed that time to time the car would not speed up as it should do when accelerated from stationary or when i want to speed up when already in drive. it would gradually gain the speed if I keep increasing acceleration, it start loosing speed even at 70 mph and then again gain speed on acceleration. The worst part is when i have to go up the bridge or even going uphill the road with slightest gradiant of 10% it start to loose speed power and from 50 mph it would get to 20mph or less.
2 days a go a friend (knows little bit about cars) had a look at engine and spotted a problem. A pipe from engine (Please see the photo with circle, dont know what its called) had a roughly 2 inches cut and oil had been leaking and its sucking the air in and asked me to get it changed and will solve the problem. I got it changed with genuine part and it did make a difference but not for more than few hours. the main difference is up hill it would loose speed to 25 - 30 mph from 50mph.
Would any of you please let me know what maybe causing this problem as i know very little about cars and mechanics would rip me off with the cost of repairs but with your help i can save myself getting ripped off if i know what mechanic would need to do. Thanks

Attachments

• C220 CDI engine-1.jpg
    C220 CDI engine-1.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 100
Aleem1964 said:
Hello guys, I am a new member and would appreciate your expert advice and suggestions. I have C220 CDI 2002 model, and over a week a go I noticed that time to time the car would not speed up as it should do when accelerated from stationary or when i want to speed up when already in drive. it would gradually gain the speed if I keep increasing acceleration, it start loosing speed even at 70 mph and then again gain speed on acceleration. The worst part is when i have to go up the bridge or even going uphill the road with slightest gradiant of 10% it start to loose speed power and from 50 mph it would get to 20mph or less.
2 days a go a friend (knows little bit about cars) had a look at engine and spotted a problem. A pipe from engine (Please see the photo with circle, dont know what its called) had a roughly 2 inches cut and oil had been leaking and its sucking the air in and asked me to get it changed and will solve the problem. I got it changed with genuine part and it did make a difference but not for more than few hours. the main difference is up hill it would loose speed to 25 - 30 mph from 50mph.
Would any of you please let me know what maybe causing this problem as i know very little about cars and mechanics would rip me off with the cost of repairs but with your help i can save myself getting ripped off if i know what mechanic would need to do. Thanks

Not all mechanics will rip you off.

That hose that you had replaced is a boost pipe and they split causing lack of boost pressure hence the lack of power. Is is securely fitted?

If it is it will need to go on a Star to see what is the cause. A Star is a Mercedes specific diagnostic tool.

Thank you guys, the pipe is fitted ok, i have been busy with in last few days and have not been to mechanic to get the car properly checked but soon take it to mechanics.

I live in Hounslow, Middlesex. do you any reliable mechanic in this area ? please let me know.

from my experience dont go to mercs only or m only - in hanwell... or you'll need to remortgage!!!

good luck

hi i have the same sort of problem with the same car going into limp mode i took that pipe of today and gave it a good clean out it was full of gunk in the metal bit were it connects to the engine but my car still has problems but not as bad is there any other parts that need cleaning?.

Hello guys, been very busy with job and also been on holidays and thats why did not update the thread. Here is the update on the car.
3 weeks a go I gave my car to local mechanic and he found that the metal stripe on manifold is broken and the front Cat converter is also need replacing as it was broken from inside, so I bought new Inlet Manifold (£425) from Merc in Brentford and Cat converter (£150) from e-bay. Mechanic fitted those parts, cleaned turbo pipes, EGR and pipes connected to it, Inter-cooler and pipes etc etc and did a test drive but the problem still exists, there is not enough pick-up and the car will not gain speed more than 50 to 60 mph, and will loose more speed if going up hill.
The diagnostic Codes showing are
1) P1470-016
2) forgot the code but it is to Glow Plug Relay.

My mechanic is trying his best to find any leaks in pipes but has not found any yet. Mechanic said the air is being sucked in from somewhere but dont know where from.
Please Can any of you experts give advise and guidance as to where to look for the fault. Thanks

Your only an hour away from Olli!

You've spent probably around £700 so far and the problem still exists.

Your existing mechanics diagnostics tool is not good enough.

You've spent probably around £700 so far and the problem still exists.

Your existing mechanics diagnostics tool is not good enough.

Hi sinewave, so far i have spent over £825. I got the car diagnosed 3 times from different mechanics after the manifold and Cat were fitted and all of them came up with same codes. Mechanic also changed all 4 glow plugs. one of the mechanic is ex-merc mechanic and he is asking around £400 to fix the car, which truly i can not afford to pay and thats why i am asking you guys for advice and any further help. I am also thinking of changing gearbox oil and its filter to see if this makes any difference.

Last edited:

I woulds suggest this is your next port of call in that case...

Today the mechanic changed the fuel pump just to see the performance but it has made no difference, so changed back to my original fuel pump. Also changed the MAF sensor which also made no difference. Any more tips and advices ??

Mb tech here. If the top cat had gone it will of probably blocked the lower cat so my advise to prove this is to remove the clamp between the two and road test it as this will allow the gases to escape ok. It will be a little loud but will prove if you have power back or not. Top cap failing blocking the bottom is common for us and causes a doodling sound similar to a split boost hose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom