Lorry Driver Shortage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi , as I have stated before it's all Barbara Castle fault.( When she was Minister for Transport.)

She did do other good work as did Tony Benn

That one in the photo looks like an extra heavy lump.
I believe its a generator for a ship. It was parked up while we were digging up the road. The guys with it said it had two tractor units up front and one at the rear for extra breaking when on the move. Impressive bit of kit.

Screenshot_20210908-154327_Chrome.jpg

This is the top end of my crane in its transport mode, about 54t.
On site the cab is swung out and working platforms on each side making it roughly 7m wide, and with two winches in weighing an extra 16t....70t all up for site moves.
We have 8 and 10 axle extendable trailers which are longer and more useful for when we carry 21m(19t)(occasionally 28m,24t) boom sections.

On a flat site road we will carry 8x12.5t,100t ballast slabs on one load on the bigger trailers.
That's only a 3 axle unit, we have 4 axle units too.

Allelys girder set, I've loaded ALEs girder set before, same thing, normally transformers from a port to a power station.
It's a very similar set up that they use to transport wind turbine tower sections.
They use the component that is being transport as the structure a lot of the time.

Even heavier when they fill it with oil once its in place :eek: !

I believe its a generator for a ship....

They might have been mistaken , it looks more like part (the main part) an Alstom main grid transformer . the three 'turrets' on the top are where long insulated connectors take the power in directly out of the side of the power station , this thing is the first port of call for the 3 phases on there way to the national grid.

And , yes they are heavy !

ROAD HAULAGE INDUSTRY reiterated their calls for HGV drivers to be added to the Shortage Occupation List which would allow firms to temporarily bring back some of the estimated 20,000 EU drivers who have left the industry.

Allelys girder set, I've loaded ALEs girder set before, same thing, normally transformers from a port to a power station.
It's a very similar set up that they use to transport wind turbine tower sections.
They use the component that is being transport as the structure a lot of the time.

Cool ballast box tractor too :cool:

The royal corp of transport got dispanded in 1993 and went private so the army dont really put you through the hgv anymore

View attachment 118480

Come back to work and it's a brand new truck and trailer! Heavy duty on springs not air suspension.
Only a smallish trailer though(111t max payload)
Very impressive work place. Does it have that lovely 'New truck smell' that we all love? Would love to see some inside photos if possible please?

No, i don't like the smell of it! There's something from the factory or what someone has put in.
The cab is tiny, not very nice if you were to sleep in it.....typical merc though with a tablet style dash separate control panel.

Could try road trains as in Ausie style. Fun fairs and circuses are allowed to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom