Lorry Driver Shortage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I find it unbelievable that the major supermarkets, among others, who’s business relies predominantly on the transportation of goods don't train their own drivers and prefer to rely on 3rd parties

I find it unbelievable that the major supermarkets, among others, who’s business relies predominantly on the transportation of goods don't train their own drivers and prefer to rely on 3rd parties
Probably cheaper to sub it out back in the day. It seems like it might be coming back to bite them in the **** though!!

Saying that, 2 of my London black cab driver buddies are driving the big HGVs for Asda and home deliveries for Sainsbury’s. Both are employed direct and both have been there since the start of Covid.

A doctor calls-in a plumber to fix a leaking tap in the surgery. The plumber duly arrives, and quotes an outrageous hourly rate. The doctor says we'll, I'm a doctor and I don't charge half that. Plumber says, when I used to work as a doctor, I didn't charge as much either...
Yep, plumbers around here are charging £80 an hour!

In my experience tradesmen are crying out for apprentices but there is a shortage of college courses and students.
Probably because there’s been very few apprenticeships given out in the last couple of decades so the demand for courses wasn’t worthwhile for the colleges.
Having said that I’ve known a number of top class tradesmen that never went near a classroom.

Having said that I’ve known a number of top class tradesmen that never went near a classroom.
They would struggle to get a CSCS card for site work for the major construction firms.

Probably because there’s been very few apprenticeships given out in the last couple of decades so the demand for courses wasn’t worthwhile for the colleges.
I seem to remember in the late 80,s or early 90,s it was declared by the then government that building trades apprenticeships should be no more, at that time all of us tradesmen said it was madness, and after us lot had retired there would be a huge shortage of building tradesmen, and so it is today, seems everyone wants a university degree in some obscure subject that'll never get them a job, but will give them a massive debt that is unlikely ever to be settled. Rant over!!!

I seem to remember in the late 80,s or early 90,s it was declared by the then government that building trades apprenticeships should be no more, at that time all of us tradesmen said it was madness, and after us lot had retired there would be a huge shortage of building tradesmen, and so it is today, seems everyone wants a university degree in some obscure subject that'll never get them a job, but will give them a massive debt that is unlikely ever to be settled. Rant over!!!

Was it better in the days when people could get 'a university degree in some obscure subject that'll never get them a job' - for free and without going into debt.....?

on my site now we have 1 truck and loads of young guys who say they can do 'everything' in our industry.......only I can drive the truck(75t loads on forest/mountain roads!).
I can only drive LHD trucks with trailers that steer, put me in a RHD truck with a standard 3 axle trailer and i'm knackered!

Back in the mists of time, I spent 10 or so happy years driving the length and breadth of the country as a sub contract courier, doing same day and overload cover for a few of the big name parcel companies and airfreight forwarding agents. None of my vans were sign written (DHL and the like didn't approve of subbies advertising their own company!)
It was challenging but enjoyable work; I got to see some interesting places and meet some great people. I made pretty decent money, but to do it legally self employed with all the proper insurance and training (including HazChem) meant spending a lot as well and covering around 100,000 miles a year at 37mpg and 10,000 mile service intervals on my VW T4s meant digging into the wallet pretty often.
Happy days, but I wouldn't willingly go back to it now.

🙄

I’m old, and my van is signed. And got alloys on. No metallic or stripes though.

I’ve got work booked in for the next 15 months but I still don’t see any harm in a nice work van with your name on it. IMO it’s a positive image, not a bad one.
I did not say it was a bad image , just not really required . Each to their own.

They would struggle to get a CSCS card for site work for the major construction firms.
Unfortunately these "elf & safety" schemes require the giving up of ones own common sense. I see so many with a card but a complete lack of awareness of their surroundings :doh:
On the van signwriting:-
I think it's good & professional to rock up in your show van.
In my preferred line of new house building I feel no need to be sign written as I have no customer until the house is finished.
I have no need to advertise as I have more than enough work.
One or two of the sub-contractors I use prefer not to be sign written. One uses his van at weekends/holidays to tow his caravan for family holidays and most caravan sites won't allow sign written vans:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom