Lorry Driver Shortage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was it better in the days when people could get 'a university degree in some obscure subject that'll never get them a job' - for free and without going into debt.....?
In those days schools had, I think, much more difficult exams ie, GCE O levels and even more difficult GCE A levels that had to be passed with distinction, to even be considered for uni, today it seems to me any Tom **** or Harry can get in. university's are bursting.Talking to a 22year old last week who'd just finished uni and got his degree, what in I asked,. Geography he said, well I said that'll be useful, not. And what is your current debt? £57000 he said, but I won't start paying until my earnings. are at least £27000 and then about £10 per month, it will never be paid. What an incredibly ridiculous state of affairs.

In those days schools had, I think, much more difficult exams ie, GCE O levels and even more difficult GCE A levels that had to be passed with distinction, to even be considered for uni, today it seems to me any Tom **** or Harry can get in. university's are bursting.Talking to a 22year old last week who'd just finished uni and got his degree, what in I asked,. Geography he said, well I said that'll be useful, not. And what is your current debt? £57000 he said, but I won't start paying until my earnings. are at least £27000 and then about £10 per month, it will never be paid. What an incredibly ridiculous state of affairs.
Bet that comment made up for your lack of education.

Unfortunately these "elf & safety" schemes require the giving up of ones own common sense. I see so many with a card but a complete lack of awareness of their surroundings :doh:
On the van signwriting:-
I think it's good & professional to rock up in your show van.
In my preferred line of new house building I feel no need to be sign written as I have no customer until the house is finished.
I have no need to advertise as I have more than enough work.
One or two of the sub-contractors I use prefer not to be sign written. One uses his van at weekends/holidays to tow his caravan for family holidays and most caravan sites won't allow sign written vans:dk:
I agree on every point.

Nothing has changed really.

My brother graduated from Uni in 1992 with an enormous pile of debt. My sister and her husband were the same albeit from 1995. They’ve all got fantastic careers earning 6 figures. It’s accepted, it happens and most students have had it.
Nothing to see here so let’s move in.

Was it better in the days when people could get 'a university degree in some obscure subject that'll never get them a job' - for free and without going into debt.....?

The difference before was that only a small % of people ended up at university - there were fewer obscure subjects. You could come out with a degree in one thing and be expected to be useful to do a job in another thing because you could pick up and learn and adapt quickly.

The difference before was that only a small % of people ended up at university - there were fewer obscure subjects. You could come out with a degree in one thing and be expected to be useful to do a job in another thing because you could pick up and learn and adapt quickly.
Mate of mines daughter has got a chemistry degree from Leicester. She’s recently got a very good job with Amazon.

Cscs is a money making scam, I've been in my industry fir about 30 years and am pretty highly qualified and experienced, cscs/cpcs has now changed from every 5 years to every 4 years for renewal.
Someone like myself gains nothing from these refreshers,and new people to the industry are sure to pass as the courses/ instructors are set up there way.

All this for a non legally required self regulated organisation.

DRF20000,
You know nothing of me, and yet so quick to form negative opinions, I was not an @rse to the kid, i did not put him down, neither am I a jealous person.
You sir are far too quick to put people down, perhaps because of your own deep seated inadequacies.🖕

Cscs is a money making scam, I've been in my industry fir about 30 years and am pretty highly qualified and experienced, cscs/cpcs has now changed from every 5 years to every 4 years for renewal.
Someone like myself gains nothing from these refreshers,and new people to the industry are sure to pass as the courses/ instructors are set up there way.

All this for a non legally required self regulated organisation.
I’ve had many an argument saying pretty much what you’ve said.
On many MACE and Skanska job there will be a Unite Union rep to do the inductions. You won’t even get in the door without a CSCS card and don’t think they’ll cut you any slack with an expired one either.

Last edited:
If a supermarket has its own drivers, it will Need its own trucks, which will mean all the added expenses that come with that.
If a truck breaks down then a load won't get delivered, whereas if they use subbies, it's up to them to send another unit to recover it.
Plus holiday cover etc etc.

Most self employed hgv drivers will driver via agencies on holiday/short term cover, which will take them away from the ir35 situation.

I'm guessing this is why most companies use hauliers and not their own trucks?

If a supermarket has its own drivers, it will Need its own trucks, which will mean all the added expenses that come with that.
If a truck breaks down then a load won't get delivered, whereas if they use subbies, it's up to them to send another unit to recover it.
Plus holiday cover etc etc.

Most self employed hgv drivers will driver via agencies on holiday/short term cover, which will take them away from the ir35 situation.

I'm guessing this is why most companies use hauliers and not their own trucks?
As I mentioned earlier.
2 of my friends are drivers and both employed by the supermarkets they drive for. I have an idea though that the vehicles will be leased for some of the reasons you stated.

Now they are saying the winter flu jab may be delayed through a lack of HGV drivers. They don’t say if it’s on the supply or delivery side however there are plenty LWB 3t’s about, have they never heard of Dunkirk ?
Expect the winter flu jab to be more expensive to the NHS this year !

I find it instructive that many of the people who argued that the free movement of labour under the EU’s rules didn’t result in a lowering of earnings, are now the very same people who are getting hot under the collar when earnings levels have to rise to attract employees after the EU cheap labour tap has been turned off.

The reality is that “cheap” EU labour has distorted the UK’s labour market for decades and the taxpayer has effectively been subsidising big employers by way of tax credits and other welfare benefits to allow their underpaid workers to live a subsistence lifestyle.

HGV drivers are the canary in the coal mine regarding decades of under investment in training by UK employers who have enjoyed increased profitability off the back of imported, pre-trained, labour.

The immediate future is going to be tough, but in the medium to longer term we will all benefit.

Greta should be happy. Far less lorries on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom