Lorrys overtaking each other on Dual Carriageways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Definitely the lorry driver is to blame. As would the driver of any other vehicle be to blame when performing the so called courtesy. I know we've had this discussion before, but it really does bug me when people pull into the next lane to allow someone to enter from a slip road without giving a thought to the numerous possible negative consequences.

I agree. Not moving may seem discourteous but the problem is it's become an expectation of drivers joining a motorway that someone will move out of the way for them which is the opposite of what the highway codes says. Responsibility is clearly with the joining driver to match speed and slot in to a gap. In any case sometimes you can't pull into lane 2 but that won't necessarily stop some of them driving at you. I've had a very near miss when some half wit just expected me to disappear when I had no where to go. Talking of half wits, if a string of them come down the slip road nose to tail how do they expect to be able to join the traffic stream in safety.

I was in Egypt and Sudan for the best part of 5 years in the 80s and it never ceased to amaze me how crazy folks were - both with and without cars. Don't remember goats on roof racks though. Sheep in boots, yes :)
Or how in Saudi Arabia they move the camels around in the back of Toyota Hilux pick ups. First one I ever saw was a massive camel and the pick up was on its bump stops, front wheels almost pawing the air. Priceless :D

Or how in Saudi Arabia they move the camels around in the back of Toyota Hilux pick ups. First one I ever saw was a massive camel and the pick up was on its bump stops, front wheels almost pawing the air. Priceless :D

Yeah, we knocked over a sheep that jumped out of the back of a pickup in Jeddah. Anyway, all hell let loose and we handed over something like $500 on the spot. You know what it's like over there - best not to involve the police in anything!

I've had to email two different transport companies now. Both times their drivers have been deliberately blocking two lanes on the approach to roadworks so nobody can go past. This despite the latest advice being to use both lanes for as long as you can. I wouldn't be so bad if they were within 100 yards of the lane closure but over half a mile away is taking the p1ss.

I've had to email two different transport companies now. Both times their drivers have been deliberately blocking two lanes on the approach to roadworks so nobody can go past. This despite the latest advice being to use both lanes for as long as you can. I wouldn't be so bad if they were within 100 yards of the lane closure but over half a mile away is taking the p1ss.

Did you get a response?

Yeah, we knocked over a sheep that jumped out of the back of a pickup in Jeddah. Anyway, all hell let loose and we handed over something like $500 on the spot. You know what it's like over there - best not to involve the police in anything!

Sheep are tougher than they look, they often get run down around here and make a mess of the cars that hit them.

French trimmed cutlets are very tender if cooked pink though.

I don't have an issue with this.

The inability of the traffic to approach a merge in an orderly fashion causes flow to break down.

Cars advancing faster in the outer lane and then forcing the inner lane to slow as they merge usually causes an even worse break down in flow. Which makes the problem worse. In principle blocking gthe outer lane further back so that it matches speed with the inner lane should improve the flow. (Of course the drivers don't get the full advantage of this flow regulation because what happens behind the truck is nobody leaves proper spacing for the traffic to ziup behind).

If drivers learned to merge in a more orderly fashion then I'd be cursing a truck for attempting to regulate the flow.

I would instigate a rule that on the approach to a merge on a motorway or DC and there is a merge sign with a speed limit to indicate not only is the speed restricted but that:

(1) there is no undertaking or overtaking allowed apart from position adjustment to place a vehicle with it's front ahead fully ahead of the vehicle next to it.
(2) that vehicles in both lanes must maintain a gap to the vehicle in front
(3) that vehicles may only move to the lane into which they have to merge (unless the lane they are in is impeded by an accident, debris, or breakdown)
(4) that vehicles in the lane into which other vehicles are merging must give way to a vehicle that is ahead of them in the other lane
(5) motorcycles have to use a lane and be subject to the same rules and must not filter

(5) motorcycles have to use a lane and be subject to the same rules and must not filter

Obviously never rode a m/cycle or you would realise how difficult & dangerous it is to sit in stop/start or slow traffic, hence the reason filtering is perfectly legal for m/cycles. Apart from that, it's already been proven that using both lanes is quicker for everyone & some roadworks now have signs telling everyone to use both lanes, yet you still get clowns blocking the outside lane 'cause they think they are some kind of vigilantes.

Russ

People think they know better than the highway code and don't read road signs these days.

If people followed the highway code and road signs, the roads wouldn't be so clogged up.

Obviously never rode a m/cycle or you would realise how difficult & dangerous it is to sit in stop/start or slow traffic

My initial observation - having had a m/c licence at 18 and used bikes as my daily transport (I only passed my test and switched to cars at 40) is that (a) filtering among merging traffic is *dangerous* and (b) in my day we had to do a slow riding test to get our 'A' code or we were not considered to be safe to ride and (c) driving in a smooth flow of traffic is better than stop start or trying to filter between lanes.

I'll jump to defend the safety bikers when they need it.

But I won't condone filtering between merging lanes of traffic on a DC or motorway - it's stupid. Worse these days because so many cars have significant over the shoulder visibility issues blind spots - and modern bikes are often quiet.

People think they know better than the highway code and don't read road signs these days..

Plenty don't know the HC.

And I can recall arguments in these forums where posters who think they know it are wrong. (I'll hold my hand up to that as well - I think I know it faitly well and I try and abide by it but get caught out).

So here we go again French Fishermen Strikes!

Went over to Folkestone this morning lorries all over the place especially down the old original A20 next to the M20 by the tunnel and all parked on narrow muddy pavements so pedestrians cannot walk on mud around 12" deep on the verges .....all nicely ruined ready for Spring?

The lorry queue is right up past junction 11 all for to go in the Tunnel instead of the Ferry because of the strikes.

So much for Manston and Stanford Lorry Park?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom