Losing my License

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In Oz, we used to buy plate covers made of plastic that would only allow viewing of the plate from straight on.

Problem was that on the highway, the cops would overtake you (or vice versa) and notice the invisible plate from an angle. Then they would fine you lots of money. :-(

A more discreet one than the tyre is to drill a hole in the side of the casing large

I'm outraged that law abiding members of the motoring public are approving of the destruction of £50,000 cameras… I'm shocked ;-P
However I have been told by a 'friend' that Polyurethane foam is highly effective at killing the cameras. Its environementally friendly too! Unlike burning tyres.
However if you go to www.tuftufclub.com I'm sure It will bring a smile to our faces. To paraphrase Colonel Kilgour in Apocalypse Now, "I love the smell of burning Gatsos in the morning".

give it to em!!!!!

this system is based on honesty, the honesty that we don:t speed when the gutsos are out of sight, well lets all fly about getting tickets bans etc block up the bloody system then shut down the insurance, who will only insure you if they think your a safe bet and bollex to em all stuff the road tax as well, clogg the sytem and the thing will not cope,imagion all them tickets all them fines all the cost of bringing someone to court dvla the backlog and while were at it lets clog up airports. train station bus depots argggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If the road was empty, I can't see that you were committing a great sin. The worst offenders, who always seem to get away with it, are what I call the 40milers.

40mph through the housing estate, when 20mph is max safe speed with kids around etc.
40mph through the busy high street.
40mph on the bypass which has a limit of 70mph.

Typically a middle aged housewife who is sat terrified behind the wheel if there is more than one lane of traffic. If she has to turn right somewhere along her route, she'll sit in the outside lane for about five miles before hand.

I saw one like this once, stop at a GREEN traffic light, caused a concertina pile up (including me) but MIRACULOUSLY no one hit her and she tootled off into the distance whilst everyone was left to clear up the wreckage.:mad:

Bugblatter said:
I saw one like this once, stop at a GREEN traffic light, caused a concertina pile up (including me) but MIRACULOUSLY no one hit her and she tootled off into the distance whilst everyone was left to clear up the wreckage.:mad:

Nearly always the case I think, the one who causes all the trouble are the ones who suffer the least. :crazy:

One of my colleagues lawyers told him (very recently) the following:-
When you are stopped, always say you dont have your docs with you
Never sign anything (as it proves you were there) (i think they ask you to sign
the producer document)
Apparently there is a conflict between European law and UK law, something to do with Euro. Human rights act saying you are not required to give info that could incriminate you. So, those gatso forms that claim that as owner of a vehicle you are required to give driver details are disputable.

I also figured that in some cases, paying the 1k fee for not identifying the driver may be better than losing your licence if you really were going thru a gatso at silly speed (or had lots of points already)

Same lawyer apparently managed to get a newbie magistrate to blow through the alchol meter tube with the coloured crystals as he hadnt seen one before, and then got that piece of evidence thrown own as it had been tampered with ... presumably some years ago, I didnt think they used coloured crystal tubes

Cheers
Richard

richard said:
One of my colleagues lawyers told him (very recently) the following:-
When you are stopped, always say you dont have your docs with you
Never sign anything (as it proves you were there) (i think they ask you to sign
the producer document)

I heard that too.

However, I recntly got let off with a slap wrist and ear bashing only for a fairly serious matter, partly I think due to my politness, cooperation and was able to produce a clean drivers license thus meaning a smaller form for the officer to fill in. After which I was happy to sign for just being cautioned.

Im having a bad day at the moment, so here comes a rant.

Speed cameras are obviously income raisers. Presumably the government thinks we're stupid and will beleive them telling us that they are not.

The government needs to raise more funds to support its spending plans (Im not going to start a debate on whether those are good or bad), and as the growth figures arent brilliant, they will have to get this from any source possible. As with any good company (after all a government is a company, and its sales revenue is our tax), it will do this by give and take. It will give us stuff to make us feel happy when they need us to, but quietly take more when we are not looking. Trouble is once they take too much we buy from someone else.

Theres stuff thats magically no longer becoming VAT deductible for companies (i.e suddenly a 17.5% extra tax), theres the 1% on employers national insurance (which directly means I have 1% less in the pot for employee pay rises!), and vasts amount of administration that employers have to do (suddently we administer statuatory paternity pay, statuatory adoption pay, SMP, SSP, a bunch of payroll credits debits and all other junk).

I just wish for honesty. Someone should turn round and say
Yes, we need to spend X on Hospitals, Schools etc, most people think thats fine, but everyone will have to pay for it.
We'll put it in income tax as that affects everyone that uses those service, we wont hide it in National Insurance so only those that bother to work have to pay for it.
We tax road users heavily, and smokers etc etc but thats life, it has to come from somewhere - but we wont hide Gatsos in silly places, we'll enforce the 20/30 mph speed limits very hard in areas where there are people and kids, we'll be more lenient in places where youre less likely to kill people that need protecting (i.e kids).
You steal stuff (including money from everyone by misclaimimg benefits) and we'll punish you in ways you remember/care-about.

But I doubt any politicians have the guts to be that honest

<end of rant>

Orgin B2, not Road Angel, works for me !! - Also sits in a nice holder, so no messy cables.

Wow. Quite a rant Richard!

GrahamC230K said:
Wow. Quite a rant Richard!

:) Wife got done by a gatso last week, followed by me getting a large tax bill this week, followed by the vat man saying that vat may not be reclaimable on legal fees in connection with raising finance for the company, and then saying that as were a telecoms company, if we ship some equipment we are using to another european city that were expanding into, we have to give back the VAT we reclaimed !!

So magic hidden (dishonest) taxes arent my favorite things. And ranting is all I can do, since all governments do it ..

Perhaps we should get together and form a political party, we have enought candidates. The "MBClub" party for honest government.

Happy Christmas to everyone here !

richard said:
Im having a bad day at the moment, so here comes a rant.

Speed cameras are obviously income raisers. Presumably the government thinks we're stupid and will beleive them telling us that they are not.

The government needs to raise more funds to support its spending plans (Im not going to start a debate on whether those are good or bad), and as the growth figures arent brilliant, they will have to get this from any source possible. As with any good company (after all a government is a company, and its sales revenue is our tax), it will do this by give and take. It will give us stuff to make us feel happy when they need us to, but quietly take more when we are not looking. Trouble is once they take too much we buy from someone else.

Theres stuff thats magically no longer becoming VAT deductible for companies (i.e suddenly a 17.5% extra tax), theres the 1% on employers national insurance (which directly means I have 1% less in the pot for employee pay rises!), and vasts amount of administration that employers have to do (suddently we administer statuatory paternity pay, statuatory adoption pay, SMP, SSP, a bunch of payroll credits debits and all other junk).

I just wish for honesty. Someone should turn round and say
Yes, we need to spend X on Hospitals, Schools etc, most people think thats fine, but everyone will have to pay for it.
We'll put it in income tax as that affects everyone that uses those service, we wont hide it in National Insurance so only those that bother to work have to pay for it.
We tax road users heavily, and smokers etc etc but thats life, it has to come from somewhere - but we wont hide Gatsos in silly places, we'll enforce the 20/30 mph speed limits very hard in areas where there are people and kids, we'll be more lenient in places where youre less likely to kill people that need protecting (i.e kids).
You steal stuff (including money from everyone by misclaimimg benefits) and we'll punish you in ways you remember/care-about.

But I doubt any politicians have the guts to be that honest

<end of rant>[/
QUOTE]

If you work hard you pay.

If you sit around on your 4r$e you get paid with the money taken from people who work hard.

RichardM said:
It will probably make a slight different to your premium £20-£50 but its worth telling them to avoid any problems in future.

I got my first 3 points last year (92mph on a motorway) called my insurer (Direct Line) andthey told me there would be no change to my premium. Which was nice.... :p

Karl

Koolvin said:
I was stopped by the police for doing 74 in a 40 on the A4. I was caught by a hand held laser.

I was given a producer but no points, I was told that they could not give me points due to my speed and they will take me to court.

yeah it was stupid, no excuse really.

What happens now?

(been driving for 8 years and never had any points)

Sounds grim M8, but keep your chin up.
When you finally make it to court, dress smart, be polite & courteous and you never know, worst case may not happen (just cross you fingers the judge is a man-women hate speeders- and he doesnt drive a BMW!)
Hope it works out for you.
:rolleyes:

vito113 said:
Can I chuck in my my pennys worth here? Our Poilice (and Politicians) seem obsessed with the mantra "Speed Kill". Well NO IT DON'T!!!! Bad driving causes accidents!!!!!! Millions of drivers will get speeding tickets this year, but the number of people nicked for driving without due care and dangerous driving is down to a third of what it was 10 years ago (about 45,000). If speed kills how come I can drive thousands of miles every year on German Autobahns at 100mph+ without misshap? Well I'll tell all you anti speed people, see how far you get driving like an idiot on a German road, I can assure you not very far. Here you can drive like a complete knob and unless you speed you are almost invulnerable to prosecution…

And before anyone asks, yes I have been done for speeding in the past, 133mph at 2.30am in 1979, fine and points (ban and prison these days). Accidents, hit from behind when stationary by a Range Rover who's driver was using his mobile, I got a dislocated spine, the muppet was going to be charged with driving without due care, but got off due to 'lack of evidence'. He also had dodgy insurance and I'm still chasing the bugger through the courts 3 years on. Mind you if he'd been doing more than 40mph I imagine the Police would have thrown the book at him.

Anyway keep us posted on the outcome Koolvin and hopefully it'll be just points and pounds, not a ban.
I agree vito113 completely with that statement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom