Losing my License

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
I was stopped by the police for doing 74 in a 40 on the A4. I was caught by a hand held laser.

I was given a producer but no points, I was told that they could not give me points due to my speed and they will take me to court.

yeah it was stupid, no excuse really.

What happens now?

(been driving for 8 years and never had any points)

Know how you feel. Really!

You will end up getting a invite to the Magistrates court I expect, where I doubt they will have much sympathy.

All I can say is at least talk to a defense Solicitor and preferably take one with you.

Hope for 6 points or less and the speeding conviction SP?? and maybe a CD10 (Driving without due care and attention).

Would hope no worse than that.

I would keep the rest between you and Solicitor. There are sometimes ways out (not the ones you read on the net) and a good Soliciotor may find loop holes in procedure. Those in the trade wont like to read it here, but it can happen. Go to Magistrates court and see what happens from there.

OK We need a group buy the Road Angels .

Not for driving stupid, but for our own protection. If you get 6 or more you going to need it. I want one but cannot afford £400 right now.

Koolvin.

Every force has its guide lines with regards to tickets and summonns.

Down here you might just have scraped into the ticket bracket at that speed in a 40, but i do know that Thames valley are paranoid about speeding. Obviously plod up there deemed your speed to be to high to get a ticket, by which he is implying that £60 and 3 points is not sufficient punishment for the given offence/circumstances. IE. that speed at 3am would not be so dangerous as at 3pm?? i use this as an example not to have a pop at you. i hope you see the way he might have been thinking. The other unfortunate thing you may have encountered is the "little Hitler" syndrome....... yes unfortunately they do exist, and give us sensible ones a bad name.

Now, best advice. There are briefs out there that are giving us hell in court over speeding cases, and more importantly for you, they are beating us!! i have tried in vain over the lasy few months to find out names/law firms of these people, without success (in case i ever need them!!). You will by law have to recieve a summons withing 6 months from date of offence, but i would recommend that you seek legal advice prior to that.

If you do end up getting a summons to court, then go along in your best suit, get yourself represented by a brief, be extreemly polite to the magistrates, and get it emphasised that without your licence you have no job, and that you are very sorry, have learnt a big lesson, and will for ever more pay attention to the speed limits.

That might just work, and get you into a big fine and maybe also more points, both of which are better than catching the bus to work.

Hope this is of use, keep me posted if i can help further.

All the best

Thanks for your advice - oh well wonder how much the fine is going to be!

I just dont want to get banned :'(

And don't worry about the fine, you can pay by installments!

Post your story in Pistonheads in the Speeding, plod and the Law section. You'll get responses from others who have been in the same boat, legal info, etc ....

Hi mate,
Sorry to hear that, was it on the section under the M4? there was one there last night, i think i slowed down in time. If you get caught do they pull you over straight away or can you still recieve a ticket in the post.

My mate recently got a two week ban and no points after doing 110+ on the motorway. So there is hope! His fine was about £450.

Tan

I also know of someone who got a two week ban, but no points.

I know its a pain but it doesn't sound too bad, being without the car for 2 weeks but then no points. Only problem is when your insurance company ask have you ever been baned from driving.

That is probably the worse that will happen Koolvin, your unlikely to be banned for any longer than that.

Oh dear,

I know how you feel, I went through a Gatso exactly two weeks ago.

I had taken my foot off the gas and was slowing down, I thought the limit was a 50 and went through the camera at about 46mph but luckily my speedo reads slightly faster than it is actually doing.

I have had a few bad mornings dreading what the postie might bring for me. I am hoping that the 14 days are up so I am clear.

I got my first three points a few weeks ago, on my birthday!! Do I have to inform my insurance company?

Yes, insurance should be notified asap.

Yes you do Jimmy, if you have an accident they could use it as an excuse not to pay up. It will probably make a slight different to your premium £20-£50 but its worth telling them to avoid any problems in future.

I shall wait till my license is returned and then notify them.

We gotta get hold of some GPS gatso detectors!!

Closest ive come to getting caught was on the A14 with the forward facing truvelos on the way back from germany. :devil:

Hi Koolvin,

I have just spoken to a friend (she's a lawyer who works in a magistrates court, I think). I described your situation to her. She said that magistrates usually follow a national guideline given to them. As she is on leave today, she cannot be sure. But she thinks you are on the borderline for disqualification. She will check the book when she goes back to work tomorrow.

One thing you can try, she said, is when you get the summons is to plead quilty by post. It has only happen once with the magistrates in Norfolk (she thinks) where the person was disqualified by post. Normally, magistartes will ask you to attend court to explain your reasons if they want to disqualify you; otherwise they will probably give you a fine and/or ban you for a period of time. She also said that magistrates usually like to disqualify people for 55 days because then if you have points, that will remain. If they ban you for 3 months (I think), the points will be removed from your licence.

Regards,
swl

Re: Normally, magistartes will ask you to attend court to explain your reasons if they want to disqualify you; otherwise they will probably give you a fine and/or ban you for a period of time.

Sorry, didn't mean to include "and/or ban you for a period of time."

It should say: "Normally, magistartes will ask you to attend court to explain your reasons if they want to disqualify you; otherwise they will probably give you a fine ".

Swl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom