Loss of Power - DPF related? - 2009 2.1 W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SVAMG

Car
2009 Mercedes-Benz E220
Hello all

I hope you are well.

Three weeks ago my engine management light came on and the vehicle lost power. I believed it to be related to my DPF as I have had it cleaned four times in the last three months alone.

Previously when the engine light came on the vehicle still had power and would run smoothly. Now it'll lose power in the middle of a drive. If I switch the car on and off it is fine but the problem returns after 6/7 minutes. Engine light is also intermittent.

I have had a recall letter from Mercedes-Benz and want to take to them incase they can sort it for free but I have also been told by my indy that the DPF needs to be cut? About £400.00!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I am not very clear.

Hi What makes you think its the DPF? Have you had a STAR diagnosis/proper code read? If tis been cleaned 4 times it suggests something else is wrong.

When my 250cdi lost power and threw and engine management light it was a split boost pipe. This generates a lot of black smoke and if left would clogg the dpf.

I would get the proper codes read first before spending out on dpf cleaning.

Mercedes wont sort the issue for free, I think they charge about £180 for a simple diagnosis!

It's going into limp mode and you won't really know why unless you scan the car for codes I'm afraid

Hello all

I hope you are well.

Three weeks ago my engine management light came on and the vehicle lost power. I believed it to be related to my DPF as I have had it cleaned four times in the last three months alone.

Previously when the engine light came on the vehicle still had power and would run smoothly. Now it'll lose power in the middle of a drive. If I switch the car on and off it is fine but the problem returns after 6/7 minutes. Engine light is also intermittent.

I have had a recall letter from Mercedes-Benz and want to take to them incase they can sort it for free but I have also been told by my indy that the DPF needs to be cut? About £400.00!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I am not very clear.
Common issues are exhaust back pressure sensor and dpf pressure sensor. Cheap fixes. After a code read take it from there.

How did you clean your DPF? Did you chuck one of those cans of DPF cleaner in or did you take the DPF off and had it professionally cleaned?

Hi What makes you think its the DPF? Have you had a STAR diagnosis/proper code read? If tis been cleaned 4 times it suggests something else is wrong.

When my 250cdi lost power and threw and engine management light it was a split boost pipe. This generates a lot of black smoke and if left would clogg the dpf.

I would get the proper codes read first before spending out on dpf cleaning.

Mercedes wont sort the issue for free, I think they charge about £180 for a simple diagnosis!
Hi Tony. Star diagnosis kept coming up with DPF.

Every time the engine light came back on the codes would always relate to the DPF. My indy did replace some of the pipes but no black smoke.

Common issues are exhaust back pressure sensor and dpf pressure sensor. Cheap fixes. After a code read take it from there.
I am hoping it is a sensor but I have the vehicle booked in with MB Boston for a recall so hoping this sorts this issue out.

How did you clean your DPF? Did you chuck one of those cans of DPF cleaner in or did you take the DPF off and had it professionally cleaned?
Professionally, indy connected computer and did a driving re-gen.

DPFs in general shouldnt be getting clogged at the rate you have had; unless all you are doing are very short journeys.

I have heard, (Im no expert) that a forced "driving" regen doesn't work on mercs.
You have to physically remove it a blast it with DPF cleaner and a jet wash for 30 minutes until the water runs clean through it.

Maybe that's the issue? But also the dpf sensor is a common failure.

I have heard, (Im no expert) that a forced "driving" regen doesn't work on mercs.
You have to physically remove it a blast it with DPF cleaner and a jet wash for 30 minutes until the water runs clean through it.

Maybe that's the issue? But also the dpf sensor is a common failure.
Worth trying Tony, I once had my F10 DPF removed and cleaned and after that I never had an issue.

Trunkz, last two months I have been doing very short journeys almost thrice a day, no more than 0.8 miles between journeys.

Have booked it in this Friday so will see.

DPF's typically fill up quickly when there is an issue with the engine making lots of smoke.

This is usually injectors or a boost leak. When this happens, the DPF will absorb all the smoke and you will not see any in the rear view mirror. It needs diagnosing, as Xentry will not just say "DPF" it will say DPF + xxxxx and give an indication of why it feels the DPF is blocked

Alex, I have noticed a lot of smokey smell but little to no smoke coming out of the exhaust. Yesterday night the car drove perfectly fine after it had been driven for an hour and a half.

I am taking it to the indy again on Saturday for another diagnostic test but will replace the DPF pressure to begin with.

Alex, I have noticed a lot of smokey smell but little to no smoke coming out of the exhaust. Yesterday night the car drove perfectly fine after it had been driven for an hour and a half.

I am taking it to the indy again on Saturday for another diagnostic test but will replace the DPF pressure to begin with.
That does sound like it was doing a regen

That does sound like it was doing a regen
Pardon me Alex as I am not as experienced. Would it better to remove it all together and physically clean it instead of doing a forced regen? I am going to try and take it for a drive on Friday after work.

Monday morning a 40 mile trip drank almost a quarter on the fuel gauge however it has been normal since then. It was driving as normal and the problem did not occur until the very of the trip. Gearbox was incredibly smooth.

All help is very much appreciated.

It depends, a good regen will clear it out, to the point that the car is happy at least.

Removing it and cleaning it with acids etc, will clear it out completely (all ash and soot) and will then make it behave as a new dpf.

Two month later update. I apologise if I become annoying to anybody.

The problem still persists, I have had the DPF removed which resulted in much smoother gear changes and even had the intercooler pipe replaced as it had multiple holes in it and the seals were completely gone.

The turbo is a lot slower to kick in, when it does it is around 35/40 but then the car really does fly. Indy said he would take a look at the sensors this Saturday.

THE PROBLEM IS FIXED!!!!

So two Fridays ago my starter motor went out. Replacing my starter motor he had to remove my turbo and in doing so he noticed a few pipes were out of place or twisted up. The turbo and relevant parts were cleaned out and then put back.

The car drives like a dream now. I can now feel remap from when I deleted my DPF. I was told multiple times to sell the car but knew she would come back to life.

Glad you are sorted by an unconventional means.
It was clearly not the Dpf and I think a better garage woukd have id the actual problem.
btw as far as i recall dpf removal is an MOT failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom