Loss of Power/electrics, - Rain related??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigmarkie999

Car
Mercedes Benz 190E
Hi,
1990 Mercedes 190E 2.0 (Lovingly looked after...1990)

Very wet weather today, car gradually lost power to wipers, :mad: then lights and heater. :confused: Central locking , hazzards, and dash lights are ok. Car ran ok but faultered momentarily when power lost to main lights. But then drove ok... Is this just due to water do you think?

Bit worried... leaving her to dry at moment....:cool:

any thoughts??

I sometimes get similar electrical gremlins on my W124, most of the time they can be traced to the fuses. Even if they look OK, they can get a kind of invisible residue on the contacts which breaks the connection.

Try cleaning the contacts with sandpaper or get some new fuses.

This happened to me once, in my first Volvo 760.

Driving along, could feel car losing power. First went radio. Then this, then that. Then the engine died. Called breakdown out.... was the rotor.

Perhaps it's just simply worn out, like mine.

18 and a half years and the alternator goes.... hmph!!!

Still... The greatest4 cylinder saloon ever!

Same thing happend to me last week when the rain really came down, had to drive through quite a few deepish puddles. The rain was so bad the wipers were on full and it was still hard to see where you were going.
The next day the central locking went very slow and the wippers were very slow even stopped for a rew seconds on each wipe. Took car for a good run on the motorway and it been ok since. but the central locking only makes its clicks and clunks about 4 seconds after the buttons have gone down.

sTeVe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom