Loss of Traction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DuaneDibbley

Hope somebody can enlighten me. I have a 2003 C180K and it has, on occasion, have the back slip out while going round a roundabout. I know it is rear-wheel drive but I thought in dry conditions I would not have issues like this. Is this a problem with my driving style and I need to change or a mechanical problem?

I have only ever seen the ESP light flash on my 2006 W203 C180K on a handful of occasions.

A couple of times on wet or icey road and another couple of times when going over uneven speed bumps.

So no, it's not normal...

It might be your driving style, though you'll need to push the car hard to make this happen on regular basis.

But more likely it is the result of poor grip at the rear, which can be down to worn rear tyres, low-quality tyres, incorrect tyre pressures, or suspension component issue (failed spring or damper etc).

Incidentally... when buying two new tyres, the golden rule for an RWD car is that the new tyres go on the back - that's where you want best grip.

Last edited:
Incidentally... when buying two new tyres, the golden rule for an RWD car is that the new tyres go on the back - that's where you want best grip.

Exactly the same for front wheel drive as well.

The tyres are a bit old and needing replaced. So I should bring that schedule forward. I will see how it goes once that is done.

Might be worth checking the diff is working smoothly while the car is off the ground for tyres.

Except for Mercedes who stated a few years ago that in order for ESP systems to work efficiently, new tyres should go on the front. Argue that one amongst yourselves! :crazy:

Russ

To quote from the legendary John Surtees (the only man to be World Champion on Two and four wheels):-

"The throttle goes both ways"....

Except for Mercedes who stated a few years ago that in order for ESP systems to work efficiently, new tyres should go on the front. Argue that one amongst yourselves! :crazy:

Russ

New tyres all round it is then !! :wallbash:

Russ

My manual says that for the ABS/ESP to work properly, all four tyres should be of same type and in same condition/wear.

I find it odd that the manufcatuter would even make a recommendation regarding using tyres with different wear level at the front and the rear - I would have expected them to stick to 'all four tyres should be the same'.

Not suggesting that they didn't say that.... just that it is odd that they did comment on this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom