Lost for words !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
StuartK said:
No there's always been banter in person but there was a whatsapp group that took it a little far. There's a joke and then when you say "all gays should be exterminated"

Who said that?

ash59fifty-uk said:
Never knew the true meaning of m o n g till this thread though. Have always used that term to describe going home to 'chill' out (m o n g out)

Same where we are. Never knowingly been offensively used here.

StuartK said:
I think that's the key thing the "intent". For example since owning my car I have been the butt of many homophobic jokes by members of this very site. Something which I didn't experience in many years of m3 ownership I have to say at shows and that.

Isn't that a sign of others' own insecurities perhaps? Either way it's a bit strange.

ash59fifty-uk said:
Only racial problem I've had in recent times is where a lad hit my five year old at school and called him a nasty name, which he didn't understand. Where he lives with his mum there is a lot of different races in the town so it's not something you'd expect there, having a stern word with the kids father after finding out where he lived you could tell where the child got his words from
My eldest son got a bit of grief about being German even now 70 years on from the end of WW2.

Last edited:
I think that the moral of the story is "one mans meat is another mans poison".

Most of the words mentioned would, in the light of day and with the wonderful gift of hindsight be "likely" to cause offense at some point to somebody.

This would be especially true were that "somebody" a one legged, black, Germanic, wally woofter, wearing a kilt and voting Liberal.

A couple of weeks ago whilst dropping my 6 year old of School I took a thorough roasting from a particular Teacher for using "Homophobic language" - My crime describing myself as a "wooly woofter". Despite being being belittled in front of all the other Parents and generally spoken to like a P.O.S, I let it slide for my Daughters sake. I've been accused of many things in my life but never once Homophobic ! Is Wooly Woofter a offensive term - especially describing yourself ?????

Anyway forward to yesterday. My Daughters best friend asked the same teacher if he could have his inhaler during class and she didn't give it to him as she was too busy resulting in him getting very distressed.

When the Parents bought the matter up, the teacher replied "I didn't want to M O N G him out" !!!!!!!!!

You literally couldn't make it up !

(Swear filter takes out m o n g )

Lost for words ! Seemed to manage just fine there LOL

I think a more common way to look at it is to consider the word fatty. Now, obviously, these days there are quite a few people carrying a few extra pounds of insulation around with them, and yes, technically, they are fat.

However, there is a difference between making a factual observation, i.e. that person is fat, and pointing it out harshly by calling them a fatty or lard ar$e, or whatever.

Yes, some people will take offence at the name, whilst others might laugh it off (whether or not it really bothers them), but, as has been said, I think from the perspective of the name caller the important issue is whether there is an intent of malice in what they have said.

It's often interesting, from my perspective as a teacher, listening to young children and hearing what they say. Often, they are quite open with their thoughts, as children haven't developed their internal monologue, and you hear all sorts of things. However, most of the time, what they are saying is purely their observation of a situation, they are naive to how words might hurt. Later, as they become more aware, you start to see them process responses and they then learn how to use words as weapons, hence problems with name calling where there is malice involved.

Being somebody that suffers from psoriasis, among other things, children have often noticed how my nails or skin might look strange and comment. Once one explains what it is, they are normally satisfied and sympathetic. I also see this in how accepting most children are of fellow pupils that are 'different' to them, be it because they are in a wheelchair, foreign, have behavioural issues, etc...

Anyhow, I've completely lost what I was thinking about/the point that I was making, so this fat ar$ed, scaly, miserable, old codger with a brain that only works some of the time, will leave it there. :)

Anyhow, I've completely lost what I was thinking about/the point that I was making, so this fat ar$ed, scaly, miserable, old codger with a brain that only works some of the time, will leave it there. :)

Well that was some kind of wooly wooftered response!:thumb:

Yep.

I went to school in the 70s and the teachers beat me a lot, I soon lost respect.

It started with slippers and ended with sticks.

That wasn't acceptable then, and would be totally illegal now, and I suspect you'd find very few teachers who would remotely want to perpetrate physical violence on children.

They are a hard working and unappreciated lot, who certainly don't do it for the money. I'd say they certainly deserve our respect (I'm married to one, and since she became a teacher I've been blown away by how tough it is, and I'm proud of how she's dealt with it).

Well that was some kind of wooly wooftered response!:thumb:

Only at the weekend when visiting Brighton! ;) :D

Incidentally, you may or may not be aware that, in school we have to officially record and report anything that might be classed as a racial incident, e.g. use of racial slurs, names, etc...

That wasn't acceptable then, and would be totally illegal now, and I suspect you'd find very few teachers who would remotely want to perpetrate physical violence on children.

They are a hard working and unappreciated lot, who certainly don't do it for the money. I'd say they certainly deserve our respect (I'm married to one, and since she became a teacher I've been blown away by how tough it is, and I'm proud of how she's dealt with it).

In our house, both my wife and I are teachers. Our kids get really resentful of the demands of the job sometimes. :(

It was acceptable during the 70s and was stopped at state schools later in the decade, as I wasn't at a state school the beating carried on by cane or other means.

I admit that my grammar school wasn't representative of the whole educational system but my junior school, where the beating started, was within state system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom