Lost in translation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I saw the title and assumed this was a thread on the strangely compelling Sophia Coppola Movie starring Bill Murray and Scarlet Johansen......

just read that too... most amusing.

Given English is the official language of "Great" Britain, I find it a bit odd that there is this insistence by the Welsh to have all their official signs in both languages. I have not seen many instances of this elsewhere in GB where there is also a local language, such as Gaelic or Cornish. Equally I do understand that they don't want their language to die.

A total waste of money, purely for the benefit of around 20% of people who live in Wales that speak it as a first language. It's not like they can't speak English anyway.

A total waste of money, purely for the benefit of around 20% of people who live in Wales that speak it as a first language. It's not like they can't speak English anyway.

Its like these stupid gaelic signs we get in scottish railway stations in the strathclyde region. Waste of money and I've never heard gaelic spoken down my parts ever.

Welsh is the language of Wales. It is part of their heritage and should be encouraged. If anyone does not like it I suggest they do not visit Wales.

I can chose not to visit Wales.

Unfortunately I can't chose how my taxes are spent, or in this case wasted.

20% sounds like quite a large-enough proportion to worry about...

Welsh is the language of Wales. It is part of their heritage and should be encouraged. If anyone does not like it I suggest they do not visit Wales.

Actually as Wales in part of the UK English is the language of wales and it should be encouraged.

Actually as Wales in part of the UK English is the language of wales and it should be encouraged.

English is already on ALL the road signs in the UK (including Wales), so how much more encouragement do you need?

Compared to English, Welsh is a very old language with a rich culture originally spoken in most of England and southern Scotland.

Google "what are the origins of the English language" then try Welsh.

English is already on ALL the road signs in the UK (including Wales), so how much more encouragement do you need?

By printing signs in other languages I think its use is being discouraged. I'll use reference to signs on the train up to Glasgow from Helensburgh. Dalmuir Station is Dalmuir, not Dal Mhorie. Its encouraging use of another language other than English by opening up a debate that Dalmuir is actually called Dal Mhorie.

Compared to English, Welsh is a very old language with a rich culture originally spoken in most of England and southern Scotland.

I didn't actually know that, but its not really the point. English is now spoken in the UK. English too has changed enormously (try reading the Canterbury Tales) and I don't see signs on the M6 printed in Olde English.

Oh and the signs in Cornwall In Cornish ?

Just wonder what % of the welsh can speak their language?

A language is a "living" thing. Once it is lost it is lost forever as there is no DNA to resurrect it like in the animal world. Behind every language is a history and culture which dies with it.

The National Trust spend £millions restoring and maintaining old buildings, yet some moan about a few extra letters on a road sign. More is spent on a single painting just because the artist is dead by the national gallery, yet some whinge about how the Welsh Parliament spend a few thousand.

If your not Welsh I can understand why you do not understand, but that is your loss.:eek:

Its like these stupid gaelic signs we get in scottish railway stations in the strathclyde region. Waste of money and I've never heard gaelic spoken down my parts ever.

Homebase at Robroyston in N Glasgow has dual signage. Very odd.

A language is a "living" thing.

Signage and instructions are important functional notices. Cluttering them with useless duplicate terms in a near dead language is of no use to anyone.

I doubt that that these have any useful effect in preserving the language.

Signage and instructions are important functional notices. Cluttering them with useless duplicate terms in a near dead language is of no use to anyone.

I doubt that that these have any useful effect in preserving the language.

Quite right, it does confuse having two languages. So as Welsh is far from a dead language (it helps if facts are checked before writing) it makes sense to remove the English translations from all Welsh signs. After all how else would you know you have entered Wales.

You're a disgrace, if the jocks and the taffs want to continue to leach off English taxpayer's money then they should at least have the decency to speak our Language.

Stop being so European.

You're a disgrace, if the jocks and the taffs want to continue to leach off English taxpayer's money then they should at least have the decency to speak our Language.

Stop being so European.

I will treat your bigoted comment with the contempt it deserves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom