Lost Key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BruLan

Car
SLK350, VW Tiguan , Mini Cooper
I'm sure this has been asked before but
I've lost one of the keys for my Car its a C250 2014 model
Any idea on the process of ordering one would be appreciated
Thanks

You will need your car, your V5C and a photo ID with proof of address at the time of ordering a replacement key at your dealership. Best to get the lost key removed from your car and order key number 3 so that someone finding your lost key cannot start your car.

Head over to your dealer with a around £250, and as much ID as you can muster. Expect to be asked for the V5, proof of who you are, proof of residence, etc. A passport & V5 was not enough when I tried last.

M.

They will want to see your car as well as the V5C together with photo ID and proof of address. I was told by the parts department that a UK photo driving licence should do the trick providing it matches the name and address on the V5C.

Thats great I had only had the Car 24 hours when I lost it !!

Doh, that was an expensive mistake.

As mentioned above, all the ID you can find and take a Bishop/Judge/Police officer with you (joking)

I've seen the process of these being coded and it litterally takes about 30 seconds per key but expect to wait 2 weeks...

The requirements clearly vary from one dealer to another - I have never been asked to show my car , last time for a W124 about two years ago I showed V5 and driving licence photocard only . Not long before that it was just the V5 for my W126 ( but I am known at the dealership ) . In years gone by it was enough to quote the chassis no .

Newer cars with electronic keys , of course , need them coded to the car ; those of us with metal keys have no need of this , and are only relieved of £21 or so :)

Doh, that was an expensive mistake.

As mentioned above, all the ID you can find and take a Bishop/Judge/Police officer with you (joking)

I've seen the process of these being coded and it litterally takes about 30 seconds per key but expect to wait 2 weeks...

2 weeks - for what ?

Anytime I have ordered keys , even ones for my Ponton where the blanks had to come from Germany , have always arrived within 48 hrs .

I know with Audi cars the key has to be coded at their HQ in Germany before being sent to the dealer?

The key is coded in Germany and sent to the dealer, when my neighbour required one it was ordered on the Friday and arived the following Tuesday. Be aware that unless you specify otherwise then you usually only get the remote key, the metal blade usually costs extra and arrives by a separate delivery.

Head over to your dealer with a around £2500, and as much ID as you can muster. Expect to be asked for witness statements from your Doctor, MP, a local Magistrate and the midwife who was present at your birth.

Fixed that for you :thumb:

The key is coded in Germany and sent to the dealer, when my neighbour required one it was ordered on the Friday and arived the following Tuesday. Be aware that unless you specify otherwise then you usually only get the remote key, the metal blade usually costs extra and arrives by a separate delivery.

The keys are actually coded at the head office in Milton Keynes. In a secure area located in the Warehouse.

The codes are access'd through a computer. There's no need to 'wait' for them to arrive from Germainia. :fail

The requirements clearly vary from one dealer to another - I have never been asked to show my car , last time for a W124 about two years ago I showed V5 and driving licence photocard only . Not long before that it was just the V5 for my W126 ( but I am known at the dealership ) . In years gone by it was enough to quote the chassis no .

Newer cars with electronic keys , of course , need them coded to the car ; those of us with metal keys have no need of this , and are only relieved of £21 or so :)

Your key isn't a typical modern MB key though is it. Albeit, it might be coded to the car it's not like the IR remotes used since the early 00's (2000>)

Your key isn't a typical modern MB key though is it. Albeit, it might be coded to the car it's not like the IR remotes used since the early 00's (2000>)

Thankfully , most of my cars don't use the rubbish electronic 'keys' of the type which are currently giving trouble with my S203 . Incidentally , my 1993 190E has factory I/R remote central locking , alarm and immobiliser , as do many late W124's , although they at least have proper mechanical keys and the immobiliser can be disabled with its master key so you don't have the difficulty of malfunctioning electronics immobilising cars as you do with the newer ones when things go wrong . We also aren't charged stupid money for useless pieces of plastic .

The security requirements for classic keys are , rightly , no less stringent than for more recent cars , especially since classic cars are usually of higher value than the typical second or third hand recent models which are typically missing keys .

The keys are actually coded at the head office in Milton Keynes. In a secure area located in the Warehouse.

The codes are access'd through a computer. There's no need to 'wait' for them to arrive from Germainia. :fail

This was based on information from the local Indie when my neighbour needed a new one so perhaps an explanation from you without the :fail would have been more useful?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom