Lost Satellite Reception - ARGH!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frog1520

I've had a Garmin Streetpilot 2610 for a few years - its pretty good and I use it all the time. However, if I'm driving around a city center, it quite often loses reception. This happened to me most recently in central london and I'm wondering whats the best solution!

Its extremely annoying when it goes, because it stops showing the route on the screen, so you cant even try and follow it blind - it just takes all the info away - definitely a design fault there!

I've got an external antenna which is mounted internally on the windscreen - I'm not sure if that really improves the situation or just makes me feel better. I'm thinking the glass in the W140's windscreen might be the UV type that degrades GPS signals - anyone know? In that case, would the rear screen be the same, or might I get better results mounting the thing on the rear parcel shelf?

I think the best solution is probably some GPS thing with dead reckoning (speed pulse, reverse light wire etc) to have an idea where you are when reception goes. The nearest to what I've got is the Garmin 2650, but I'm wondering what other people do! Do you all lose reception in Central London??? (along marylebone road I think it went!) Do all satnav's stop showing all info when GPS is lost?

I think Command is probably best, but I dont think its really feasible to retrofit to a W140! All views gratefully received! Thanks!

when I fitted an external aerial for my Becker unit anything inside the cab was useless. Eventually I positioned it behind the radiator grille and have had no problems since.

Andy

I have an Alpine Sat Nav unit and a W140 Coupe.

My aerial is an internal one - but is mounted top left as you look at the car from the rear of the rear windscreen. Never have a problem with reception and when in the UK i live in London. Check connections etc.

Hi Frog...

I use a Garmin i3 on the suction cup windscreen mount and it's ok with picking up a signal. In fact, it even picked up a signal when the mount fell off and the i3 ended up in the ashtray!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom