LOTS of water in rear footwell W205

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ken1408

Car
2016 w205
Hi All
I have an 2016 c class w205.owned for under a month,10 days ago i noticed my rear footwell was saturated with water.
Less than a week before this i had a battery replaced under warranty!.
Could it be water getting in under the cover around battery area.(if this was not correctly re fitted by garage)? and running along the floorpan to rear of vehicle?
Also in noticed a further cover under the battery cover just above the fan for cabin air intake! it is a white "bowl" shape.This was in the open position,is this correct?
Cant see any water coming in around rear door seals or window area,so i have discounted that.
Thanks Ken H

Hi All
I have an 2016 c class w205.owned for under a month,10 days ago i noticed my rear footwell was saturated with water.
Could it be water getting in under the cover around battery area.(if this was not correctly re fitted by garage)? and running along the floorpan to rear of vehicle?
Also in noticed a further cover under the battery cover just above the fan for cabin air intake! it is a white "bowl" shape.This was in the open position,is this correct?
Cant see any water coming in around rear door seals or window area,so i have discounted that.
Thanks Ken H
Not specific to the 205 necessarily, I've seen water ingress via doors after a door panel had been off and the interior plastic shield not replaced properly.

I'm not sure about the battery covers; my current car has different covers from the last one (2014). However, if this was the problem I would have thought the front carpets would be squelchy.

I've just had a thought, though...I had a water leak into the boot of my last 205 that wasn't visible until the plastic guard over the electrics in the boot was lifted and that turned out to be due to a faulty boot seal. Might be worth a check in the boot area, as you don't want water near the electrics!

Ernie

Hi All
Thanks Ken H

I would suggest that as the water is in the Rear Footwell is is getting in from the Rear/Boot Area!:eek:

If it was getting in from the Battery Area it would be wet in the Front LH Footwell too!

Try a Search on "Water in Footwell" I seem to remember this being Listed not so long ago!

As you have only had a month take it back the dealer to sort out, it's their responsibility.

On my old Audi it was exactly as you described, the battery blocking the drain holes and water getting. This tracks down and sits in the rear footwell.
However...is the battery up front or in the boot of yours? Sounds like it's linked to me.
I'd remove the battery, clean round and replace (a quick pressure wash of the area to 'loosen' any debrit wouldn't be a bad idea.)

Hi Guys
Thanks for the advice!!
UPDATE, i booked car in to dealer to try and find the source of leak.
Their theory is .....Its a badly fitted after market windscreen.They are going to get someone to replace the seal around screen.

I will update yous in a couple of weeks to see if that is the problem.

Thanks Ken H

Hi Guys
Thanks for the advice!!
UPDATE, i booked car in to dealer to try and find the source of leak.
Their theory is .....Its a badly fitted after market windscreen.They are going to get someone to replace the seal around screen.

I will update yous in a couple of weeks to see if that is the problem.

Thanks Ken H
The garage where i purchased the car from were convinced the water was coming in somewhere around the after market windscreen,they carried out a "repair" which may have solved the problem.But cosmetically it looked poor(black mastic visable on top right corner)
So i excersised my right to return the vehicle under the "consumer rights act 2015",with a Full refund,
which states if a car is purchased it must be fit for purpose,if a fault is detected within 30 days it must be rectified Free of charge,or a full refund.

The garage where i purchased the car from were convinced the water was coming in somewhere around the after market windscreen,they carried out a "repair" which may have solved the problem.But cosmetically it looked poor(black mastic visable on top right corner)
So i excersised my right to return the vehicle under the "consumer rights act 2015",with a Full refund,
which states if a car is purchased it must be fit for purpose,if a fault is detected within 30 days it must be rectified Free of charge,or a full refund.

I believe it's actually 6 months. In this time if a fault occurs then it was deemed to have been there at the time of sale.

How can water get in to the rear footwell, if the front screen is leaking ? May be if the floor is dead flat but it is not .
Not sure maybe along roof (cill)above the front door (if water was coming in at top right of windscreen)and running down the pillar between doors into rear footwell.
Or is their a channel running from front to rear for the rear heater?(is the rear footwell slightly lower than the front one?)
The rear footwell was drenched,it did eventually spread to the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom