Lots of white smoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ms500

Banned
I've just got back from a long trip to the North in my 124, the car performed very well apart from this one issue.

After I had set off today, I noticed quite a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust in the passenger mirror whenever I accelerated, it seemed to go away when I was coasting along.

This was when driving around town; After about 10 miles of driving the smoke disappeared completely and didn't come back. I should probably add that the car hadn't been started in a week.

I know cars can smoke when cold, but the amount coming out of mine was far from normal. The car still drove fine; no misfiring, noises or power loss

I don't think it's the headgasket since it would be there all the time if that was the case, could anyone offer some suggestions as to what could cause this?

Thanks.

Are you sure it's not just water vapour from condensation in the exhaust. The delayed conversion to steam could indicate the Cat is not working properly.

Sorry to be a bearer of bad tidings, but what you have is the start of a blown head gasket. Cold engine coolant escapes, hotter engine and defects close up due to expansion. Catch it now before it really goes.

Well, the coolant actually seems to have stopped disappearing. I checked it after my 650 mile round-trip and it hadn't dropped an inch.

Also, I started it from cold this morning and there was no smoke at all.

I guess I'll put it down to water vapour that had settled in the exhaust and the Northern climate for now, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom