Lottery winners receive benefits despite £10.2 million win

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
:doh:

Source: The Telegraph.

Mick and Jean O'Shea won the huge EuroMillions sum in 2005, but Mr O'Shea still receives £500 a month disability allowance because it is not means-tested, according to The Sun newspaper.

The former builder said: "I worked for 40 years and I'm entitled to it. I've been getting it since about 1996.

"I declared the win to the authorities at the time, but it doesn't matter as it's not means-tested."

Read the full article, HERE.

As the 1st person to reply in a thread, please dont quote the orignal message!

Now this I can't have, the man has no respect and needs to be stoned in his local square.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read this myself, they probably value the Blue Badge rather than the money. That said he is correct in saying he's paid into the system but?

If you have benefits that are not means tested then this is the result. Hundreds of millions are paid out to people who do not need the benefit & for whom the benefit system was not designed or intended.

Every millionaire in the country with children gets Child Benefit, every millionaire pensioner gets Winter Fuel Allowance. This DLA case is no different.

This is just one lucky man, and he has worked for 40 years after all.

Such is the lottery of non-means tested payments.

Many wealthy folk qualify for free TV Licence, cold weather payments, State pensions, etc.

I get more vexed by Romanian Big Issue sellers claiming UK benefits for example.

Just because he's entitled to it, doesn't mean he has to claim it. I'm diabetic and entitled to free prescriptions, and indeed I don't pay for the medication directly related to my condition. However, if I need any other stuff and it's available over the counter I'll always buy it myself if I can, as I can afford to do so and don't wish to place any more burden on an already financially strapped NHS.

Small beer compared to that bloke's £500 a month, but it's the principle of the thing.. shame on him.

Gaz

Only February , and already a contender for 'Quote of the Year ' :D

Now this I can't have, the man has no respect and needs to be stoned in his local square.

Don't blame the player, blame the game.

The absurdity of it all is that he's probably paying god knows how much in tax on his lottery win...

Don't blame the player, blame the game.

The absurdity of it all is that he's probably paying god knows how much in tax on his lottery win...

No tax is due on lottery winnings.

:doh:
Mick and Jean O'Shea won the huge EuroMillions sum in 2005, but Mr O'Shea still receives £500 a month disability allowance because it is not means-tested, according to The Sun newspaper.

Do they have a bouncy baby boy named Rick?

:bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:

Just because he's entitled to it, doesn't mean he has to claim it.
Gaz

^^^
In a nutshell - it's about him and his morals, regardless of whether the system can/does discriminate or not.

There will be on the interest it earns.

I reckon £300,000 a year worth of income.

Morally he really shouldn't claim it as I suspect the intention is there to help people with associated expenses resulting from disability. I suspect he doesn't need that financial aid although I can see the argument you put forward that he's merely recovering some of the tax back that he pays into the system.

Only February , and already a contender for 'Quote of the Year ' :D

Thank you :D, I type how I feel and at the time of reading was fuming looking back now I'm glad I'm not in power.

Ok can we drag him out and just chuck rotten veg:thumb:

Read this myself, they probably value the Blue Badge rather than the money. That said he is correct in saying he's paid into the system but?

Just a point of note. The blue badge scheme is completely separate from Disability Living Allowance. Neither requires the other for any form of acceptance or assessment.

This is often confused, they really are absolutely nothing to do with each other. You may have a Blue Badge (which is administered by your local authority and varies from area to area) and not receive a single penny in benefits.

Last edited:
On the point of DLA though, it is not means tested and he's entitled to it.

Should he claim it still? Well that's a moral dilema.

Should he also be required to give up his state pension? He's paid for that and now clearly no longer requires it. Is one more morally correct than the other?

Last edited:
I am not at all bothered that lottery winners continue to receive benefits. Yes it's a fluke, but the actual number of people finding themselves in this position is very small, I wouldn't change the system just to accommodate such cases.

But... it does highlight a much bigger issue, of (some) benefits not being means tested. However, I do accept that if you worked and paid NI, and you are then entitled to some NI benefit, why should it be related to your means? Surely that's what National Insurance means - you wouldn't find acceptable an insurance company that does not pay-out to wealthy people on the grounds that they don't actually need the money?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom