Lotus carlton: Ph heroes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Uncle bought one back in 92, it was the ultimate back then apart from £1000 for a rear bumper, £1500 front bumper & £500 for a rear wheel, he used to give me a head start at the beginning of a carriageway when i had a 325i didn't take long for him to pass at speed.

A friend of mine has had his since new. (Currently SORN'd and stored in climate/humidity storage)
Impressive vehicle for it's time - and a quick look on AutoTrader shows that they keep their value - unlike BMWs & Mercedes of the same vintage :-(

They were never going to catch it were they as they careful edged round the bends in their good ship "Pride of Sweden". :D

It's similar in performance to my M3 Evo which is in the next league below.

The E55K would see it off comfortably but that's not to say it would be a breeze as the LC is still a quick car.

A favourite of mine too - I had a big Vauxhall 'thing' in the 90's and the Owners Club were something else. These things are just brilliant if a little fragile, but I'd put them high up on my 'Bucket List' of Top Trumps cars to own.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

remember going in one back in the late 90's and it did shift, the MD of a company I was doing some work with had one. His only negative comment about it was it had a gearbox like a tractor, i've got two tractors and i'm not sure to this day exactly what he meant.

The were an awesome bit of kit back in the day. I can remember the nay Sayers wanting them banned.

I've seen two a few years back exhibiting the same head gasket type fault. Turned out to be hairline cracks in the engine block down the sides of the head bolt holes. Apparently it was quite a common failure, so should you be in the market for one, keep your eyes open.

Last edited:
We built a sleeper for a laugh for one of those banger rallies, "staples to naples" in a fifty quid car. We bought a cavalier 1.8 non runner ex taxi with 180 billion miles, and dropped a 3litre straight six 12v carlton lump in it. Bolted straight in! Still with the 1.8 diff. My god that shifted, but ran out of steam at 140 on the autobarhn.....

I've seen two a few years back exhibiting the same head gasket type fault. Turned out to be hairline cracks in the engine block down the sides of the head bolt holes. Apparently it was quite a common failure, so should you be in the market for one, keep your eyes open.

Yep spot on.

Darrell said:
Good story but was in a magazine about 18 months ago.

Rats - thought I was being all smart too.....(!)

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

My absolute favourite car as a schoolboy was the GSI 3000 Carlton...

I used to drool over one everyday as I used to pass a Vauxhall showroom:rock:

So when the Lotus Carlton:eek:

It was the absolute icing on the cake:bannana:

Saw one on the M25 few years ago what a presence:thumb:

Colour was absolute to die for Green on a sunny day and black on a dull day...

Simply exquisite:rock:

Undeniably a very capable car. For some reason they do absolutely nothing for me and I have no urge to own one. Honestly never been able to put my finger on why though!:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom