Lotus Evora S review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonMad

Car
W209 CLK55 AMG (stripped out) - gone :(
Hi all. As I happen to have got through the first round of this competition, please can you be so kind as to vote for, retweet, like, comment on (nicely) or otherwise round up support for my review of the Evora. Tell all your friends. P-rides in it for you if I win!

Jon's Evora review

Ta :)
Jon

Great review Jon. My next door neighbour has one.

Hi all. As I happen to have got through the first round of this competition, please can you be so kind as to vote for, retweet, like, comment on (nicely) or otherwise round up support for my review of the Evora. Tell all your friends. P-rides in it for you if I win!

Jon's Evora review

Ta :)
Jon

Have Lotus fixed the issue of electrolytic corrosion, caused by using steel wishbones with an aluminium chassis, as witnessed on the Elise?

Surely an Evora review should start with the words "Rarer than rocking horse...."

I've never seen one. Ever.

I agree. I had loads of stuff in there about never having seen one and them being slow burners sales-wise, suggetsing a lack of familiarity with the brand at this price point.

Except then I had to chop the write up down from 1600 words to 200!

I've seen one headed back down Loch Lomond, I imagined it had been up in the Glens and the driver had a lot of fun. I had a little chuckle and though, I do that sometimes (go up the Glens and enjoy driving)

It looked like a Kossegig...lovely.

I had an Evora S for 24 hours.

Really can't see what the fuss is about.

The engine has no breeding, sounds very pedestrian. Supercharger whine has no character or soul. Engine is from a Toyota Camry. Not good.

Transmission and clutch barely OK. Definitely not sports car standard.

Handling was superb, ride OK.

Interior is very kit car.

Quality is nowehere near the Germans.

Unacceptable at the price.

Asking price needs to be at least £15k cheaper to be vaguely competitive.

They are rare because they are far too expensive for what they are.

I think they cost as much as the handling and steering really separate it from the rest, its why it wins so many road tests.

I think they cost as much as the handling and steering really separate it from the rest, its why it wins so many road tests.

wins so many road tests because they are are great on track .. but rubbish at many other things.

wins so many road tests because they are are great on track .. but rubbish at many other things.

I also suspect "country of origin"....

Like the Jag XF, can they be that good, reading the reviews I feel I must be clinically insane for not driving one...

Am I?

Hold on though, it is a track car that you can drive on the road. You can't knock it for creature comforts, or lack of.
It does what it set out to do very well.

I remember getting the M3 CSL and then reading negatives about the lack of interior quality, hard ride, no toys etc. etc.
People really were missing the point.

It is like buying an S Class and moaning that it is a bit soft, a bit wafty, a bit quiet.

I also suspect "country of origin"....

Like the Jag XF, can they be that good, reading the reviews I feel I must be clinically insane for not driving one...

Am I?

I was attracted to the Evora because of the great reviews. And I liked its looks, and loved the idea of buying British

However, the reality is somewhat different.

Side sills are huge.

And it was not a patch on my Boxster. Nowhere near.

Did not have the feel good factor.

Interior quality is very poor for a car costing more than 50k.

I looked at the XF before I bought my CLS (not driven 1) .. looks nice, but does not have the engineering depth and feel of a Merc. Go inspect one for yourself, and you will know what I mean. It feels like its beauty is only skin deep. Again, not a patch on my CLS.

Hold on though, it is a track car that you can drive on the road. You can't knock it for creature comforts, or lack of.

I remember getting the M3 CSL and then reading negatives about the lack of interior quality, hard ride, no toys etc. etc.

It is like buying an S Class and moaning that it is a bit soft, a bit wafty, a bit quiet.

But I am not complaining about the lack of comfort or toys (the Sat Nav is truly horrendous though, straight out of Fisher Price) ..

I have a driven a 911 GT3 .. it's a track car, but it really thrills on all levels. It's intoxicating and deeply seductive.

Evora: nice from a far, but far from nice.

The Evora has handling and that's pretty much it.

I find the same with most motoring press articles. The Mk 5 Golf R32 is a perfect example. Motoring hacks complained because it had a V6 engine, too heavy, too thirsty.

VAG release the golf R, they complain because the "characterful" V6 is gone....

You don't see many Golf R's around but a fair few R32's. I can see why, £30k hatchback without a 6pot or even 5pot motor seems silly. VW should have put a V8 in this time....

I think what Sean is driving at is the lack of general quality about its body work and interior. They should be givens, no matter what the brief is. I bet your E46 M3 CSL felt solid, well made, light, but well made. A few critisms of the Lotus is that the interior and general fittings are rubbish.

I can forgive Lotus using a Toyota engine, its reliable and the tranmissions are reliable, imagine if they were left to make that. It would be awful. I probably would say the Evora's drive train is as good as it gets, it will last far longer than the car around it, bar the handling set up, thats the quality piece of the car. A beefy straight though exhaust would sort the rest of it.

I was attracted to the Evora because of the great reviews. And I liked its looks, and loved the idea of buying British

Side sills are huge.

I looked at the XF before I bought my CLS (not driven 1) .. looks nice, but does not have the engineering depth and feel of a Merc. Go inspect one for yourself, and you will know what I mean. It feels like its beauty is only skin deep. Again, not a patch on my CLS.

I like the CLS's, to drive they are suberb, comfortable yet genuinely engaging with brilliant body control, precise firm steering. Dynamically its a huge leap over a 211. Quality wise, well, its brilliant and I loved driving one. Head room was a bugger and the frameless doors were irritating but what a car.

The press never like comparing the XF to the CLS, I suspect because the motoring press favour 4 Marques

BMW
Porsche
Lotus
Jaguar

However, in the XF's defence, the CLS is a price bracket above, and it probably drives as well, so many people who have them really rate them. I would fear it would break (although ZF engine and good proven PSA sourced and developed V6) should mean its ok.

However, the Brits got their hands on the electrics and assembly of the car, which is galling.

Side sills are huge.

Interesting. I thought the side sills were quite small, but that was compared to an Elise. Probably agree the quality was not up to Porsche levels but as I spent the whole test driving flat out I didn't notice much. I did think the ride was fantastic though, where you suggest otherwise, but that may just be relative, and I never noticed any supercharger whine.

Not trying to defend the car, just trying to win one for a year :)

Interesting. I thought the side sills were quite small, but that was compared to an Elise. Probably agree the quality was not up to Porsche levels but as I spent the whole test driving flat out I didn't notice much. I did think the ride was fantastic though, where you suggest otherwise, but that may just be relative, and I never noticed any supercharger whine.

Not trying to defend the car, just trying to win one for a year :)

one I drove had 19" fronts and 20" rears .. that may have been the reason.

Winning 1 for a year would be fine as it would be free :)

A Toyota V6 has its job cut out being compared to a Porsche flat six ..

With the seat set right for me, it was not easy to get into the car .. because the footwell where the pedals are so deep past the doors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom