Lotus Notes Hell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anarchy-inc

Car
C240
Just got this cryptic message when using Lotus Notes today . . .

"Cannot remove NotesDocument when instantiated by NotesUIDocument"

Now, can anyone guess what I was trying to do when I got the message?

Hummmm .... now let me guess ....

You are deleting a document.

But .....

It's still in your preview pane at the bottom of the screen.

I'd guess that's where the conflict might be.

Check the Notes 6/7 Forums on notes.net - there's sure to be a few postings on it, assuming you're running 6 or 7.

And if you are running an earlier version ...... why?

K

Kinky said:
Hummmm .... now let me guess ....

You are deleting a document.

You were both right . . . too easy I guess . . . ;)

But .....

It's still in your preview pane at the bottom of the screen.

I'd guess that's where the conflict might be.

This might seem a little like a stupid question, but how is this a conflict? </notes rant> ;)

Check the Notes 6/7 Forums on notes.net - there's sure to be a few postings on it, assuming you're running 6 or 7.

And if you are running an earlier version ...... why?

If it were up to me, I would'nt be using Notes . . . . :devil:

I'd say the issue is around you still reading a document that is deleted.

Test it by closing the preview pane, close Notes, restart it and delete a doc and see if it still happens.

I'm sure Notes.net would give you specifics.

K

P.S. what's wrong with Notes anyway?

Grr they are possibly changing/ will soon be changing to Lotus notes at work. Why oh why. :crazy:

Grr I hate it..............

notes sucks , its the worse affliction known to man ....

the only cure is to get outlook and start living in the real world ....

Kinky said:
Looks like I'm on own here :rolleyes:

To each his own I guess. Seriously though, there is nothing you can say that will convince me that Notes is worthwhile having in 2005. It still feels like a program written for MS-Dos a but converted to Windows. That was fine in the early 90's but the rest of the world has moved on since then.

I agree Notes is a little odd at times and it was a shock to start with. However, having been working with it for 5 years now I have to say it's not so bad.

When did a Notes user last get an email virus?

For email client funcionality, I expect Outlook with Exchange wins hands down, but Notes is not just an email client....databases all those databases - and that's why companies that have been using it continue to - migrating is scary.

GrahamC230K said:
I agree Notes is a little odd at times and it was a shock to start with. However, having been working with it for 5 years now I have to say it's not so bad.

Hmm, I think you have been brainwashed . . . :crazy: :rolleyes: ;)

When did a Notes user last get an email virus?

True, but then with up to date antivirus software, this should not be a problem for Outlook either. On my home systems, I get 1 or 2 virii a day but they are deleted by the software so fast, I never seen them unless I look at the logs.

For email client funcionality, I expect Outlook with Exchange wins hands down, but Notes is not just an email client....databases all those databases - and that's why companies that have been using it continue to - migrating is scary.

I've worked for 2 companies now that have used notes. The first had a poorly written custom database for accessing customer data. When I say data, I really mean just contact info and a few notes like; "called Bob to discuss . . . .", "got the order" etc. This could have been done using Act! or Goldmine with Outlook for email and I dare say a bit cheaper too. (you don't want to know what they paid for that database)

The second company (current one) uses Notes for one thing . . . email. They do have a bunch of old databases that have not been updated since 98 or 99 with some product info but thats it. No one I know there even knows what's there.

So you can see that my view of Notes might be tainted by poor deployment. I wonder how many installs are for email only?

Using notes for years - very powerful and productive groupware.

Agreed - should have used Act! or similar - I used to use SuperOffice which is much better than a half-**** never upgraded custom database. Suspect there were a fair number of users and high license fees though?

Kinky said:
Looks like I'm on own here :rolleyes:
You're not on your own, however I am a Notes Admin so I am probably slightly biased.

My comapny are just about to start rolling notes app out across the whole of Europe(Well, all our sites in Europe anyway). The study to decide which system to use was performed by a guy who already uses Notes at his site.........

His arguments to use notes were based on value and enhanced features of Notes(My company need a group email solution, not a new way of allowing users to generate loads of databases that will need supporting by me!!!). I personally wouldn't have chosen it as the technology is dated and it is expensive to administrate but have to now replace all the UK servers(Currently running MS Exchange) with Domino??? ones instead....

I know I'm gonna hate it and its a total waste of money....

smartbrabus said:
We use both Exchange and Notes - bit of redundancy if one or the other goes belly up...
You will probably find that notes NEVER actually goes belly-up. Our servers only die due to one huge database that's taking over the world ;)

Believe it or not it's a heart attack patient register :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom