Loud E220 CDi advise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isojet

Car
E350 cdi Sport.
Hi, recently bought yet another mercedes, this time its an E220 Cdi estate, 58 reg, the E320 sport has gone as i needed a load carrier for an ongoing project, anyway she's done lots of miles {108} but is a 1 owner full MBSH, last service 500 miles ago, the car as you would expect from our beloved makers is beautiful but the engine sounds a bit rough, not over the top like a mondeo or something just a bit loud, and when you stop the engine there's a shaking juddering motion coming from the relevent department, now i'v been here before so first thing i did was have the engine mounts changed thinking this wold cure it but it hasn't made the slightest difference, is it just characteristic of this four pot engine or has anyone else had this happen with them before. i used to have a Clk 270 a few years back and that was the same.
P.S. 49.5 mpg this morning on the M4 at a steady 70mph, not bad for a car that's grossing over two tonne, Any suggestions would be gratefully received, thanks. :doh:

They are quiet noisy naturally. Look at the airbox rubbers. They wear and cause the box to rattle.

Drive it a bit before making a judgement. Mine is significantly quieter now at 95k miles than when I bought it exactly a year ago with 72k on it. I suspect it was just pootled around town in its former life. Now it's had a couple of oil changes with decent 229.5 Shell Helix and an ATF change, and been used for a lot of motorway journeys with an occasional Italian tuneup, it's much happier.

It's certainly a bit noisy naturally when cold and at parking speeds, but at cruising speed the road noise dominates and the engine's virtually inaudible.

Airbox rubbers are a good call though. There are two green ones at the rear of the airbox that mount into the metal bracket and support the "prongs" on the airbox. Both were missing on my car, and replacing them got rid of an idle rattle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom