Loud engine idle 2003 A170 CDI Auto 52,000miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

punitsu

hi,

we just bought a 2003 (03 plate) mercedes A170 CDI 52,000miles

when we bought the car (yesterday) it had a nice quiet idle - compared to my old 1999 (T plate) mercedes A170 CDI 127,000 miles

now it seems like the old 1999 A170 CDI has a quieter idle.

the problem of the loud idle goes after being slightly revved.

it has a slight ticking noise, and the engine seems to shake alot (giving it a nocking noise)

is this normal?

what can be done to fix it?

any answers will help,

thanks for your help.:thumb:

It sounds like a seized alternator pulley. Common issue. £120 for the pulley and about 1 hour to fit.

thanks for the reply,

can it be unseized?
it is weird that the car goes quiet/silent once it is on the move (revs increase)

thanks again for reply:thumb:

Hello,
Sounds like you've described one of my many woes.
The pulley you mention BlackC55 - is it one of the slave pulleys in the loop, as opposed to the actual one on the alternator ?
And does it require the engine to be dropped ?

Reason I ask, I have the same symptoms. And if I leave the car idling without revving it up, ie on a cold morning when I want the heating to come up before I go out, it will shred the belt during the 20 minutes I'm having my coco pops.
I read on Bert Rowes website that it was the crankshaft pulley, where the outer skin had separated from the main pulley body.

I had a look under the beast, but there's virtually no space to work, certainly not at home.

thanks,
Tony

ive had a look on the Bert Rowe's website, and i think there is a problem with the "v belt" i have also asked a seller on ebay who changed the v belt at around the same mileage 50k and he said he was getting to same problems.

but he said MB garage told him to change V-belt, tension roller and pulley.

what do you guys think? :)

The crank pulley is an issue but it sounds like yours is the alternator pully. It can't be unseized. New only.

The engine does not have to be dropped but its best to fit a new belt too.

ok thanks, is the alternator pully also known as a "v belt'?

and how often (miles) does the alternator pully need to be changed/maintained?
is it normal for a 50k car?
should i be worried (for example the problem happening earlier then it should normally happen?)

thanks for the replys people!

Last edited:
Hi.
The V Belt, or poly V Belt is what you would call the fanbelt.

As regards the alternator pulley, I don't know which one that is - hence the reason I'm asking.

I'll dig about later and find the diagrams on detali for you as it gives you a better idea of what's going on.

I found the diagrams. Mine is the non-ac version, don't know if that's the same as yours......
http://partscatalog.ru/mercedes/S/van/414/700/47D/414.700/47D/21/210

FA590406363228D8A219B29B867E5746.gif

the car will be getting sent off to the trade dealer it was bought from for a check up (still under warranty) sometime this week. i will post the results of the repair once i get details

thanks for replying people! :)

A local garage had a look at, they think it's the pulley and fan belt needs changing. They could not give me estimate as they have no ideas about the price of pulley. On europarts there are two kinds of pulleys, guide and tensioner pulley, which one you think needs replacing? Any idea on the labour and parts cost?

Last edited:
A local garage had a look at, they think it's the pulley and fan belt needs changing. They could not give me estimate as they have no ideas about the price of pulley. On europarts there are two kinds of pulleys, guide and tensioner pulley, which one you think needs replacing? Any idea on the labour and parts cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom