Loud plinking - e63?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
PRE-IGNITION can be caused by many factors---fuel octane rating and engine temperature being two culprits. poor remapping or defective knock sensors being two more.

Last edited:
mine does it after use every time. More so after spritied drive. I guess it is normal

PRE-IGNITION can be caused by many factors---fuel octane rating and engine temperature being two culprits. poor remapping or defective knock sensors being two more.
Pre-ignition occurs before the spark event (hence the name) and is not affected or managed by fuel octane quality or by changing the spark timing. High localised combustion space temperatures and hot spots e.g. using the wrong grade of spark-plug or glowing carbon deposits are among things that can lead to pre-ignition.

Pinking, knock, detonation are terms used to described uncontrolled 'explosive' combustion that can occur after the spark event. This can be managed or influenced by combustion chamber design, fuel octane quality, AFR and spark timing. Extended operation where the engine is knocking can produce hotspots due to the breakdown in the protective boundary layer in the combustion space, potentially leading to hotspots and then onto full blown pre-ignition.

Pre-ignition should be avoided can be very destructive, leading to catastrophic engine failure.

Pinking/detonation/knock can often be tolerated for a while without resulting in any engine damage. However engines are typically mapped so as to avoid pinking happening. With a high performance engine, it's likely that the ignition mapping will be done using 97 RON fuel. If I was running an E63, I would use Shell VPower which last time I looked was 99 RON. In standard tune, the engine shouldn't knock on 99 RON fuel.

Fairly confident this is not pinking. More likely to be the exhaust cooling.

I'm betting that he's actually referring to the rattling noise of the injectors at idle, not pinking or pre-ignition. OP, you'll need to be a bit more specific - what is the noise, when do you hear it?. the M157 engine is surprisingly noisy - mine has a light tinkling from the injectors that reminds me of an old OHV pushrod Renault engine. Apparently they all do that, Sir!.

Fairly confident this is not pinking. More likely to be the exhaust cooling.

I had forgotten all about pinking, provoked memories of twisting the distributor on my old car until it ran smoothly to cure pinking.

I had forgotten all about pinking, provoked memories of twisting the distributor on my old car until it ran smoothly to cure pinking.
Good old days ey? when things were simple!

Yeah anything direct injection is noisy these days.

It's louder at idle than the 350cdi. They all make the pinky noise if that's what you are referring too. However, if it's on the move , make sure you're using Vpower or 99 Tesco. My friend used to run his E46 M3 on 95 and I fell out with him over the terrible pinking lolololol

Thanks guys. I am referring to the noise it makes when cooling down. At idle there are only the normal sounds. Guess it could be the exhaust but it is coming from the front of the car

If it's just when cooling down with the engine switched off, then it's definitely the exhaust and associated components like cats, heat shields etc.

Different thickness of metals cooling at different temperatures and the stainless exhaust contracting due to the temperature dropping.

Guess it could be the exhaust but it is coming from the front of the car

This is where the exhaust starts, with flimsy front pipes, the rest of the noise will probably be amplified through the underside of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom