loud sound from turbo area on E220cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWY 666

Car
W221 350CDi
Hi

(year 2000 E 220 cdi)

When I accelerate I have this loud gushing/wooshing sound (for want of a better description) from where the turbo is located.
The noise just started suddenly one day after accelerating up a hill.
Maybe and hopfully just a loose or split hose.

Thought I`d ask before I start pulling everything apart.
Any ideas?

Hoses are indeed a likely suspect for whooshing noises.

After checking & cleaning most hoses no evidence of leaks via damage or loose fitings but noise still there. The one and only hose I didnt remove was the "charger hose" ( as described in the Russeek manual )
Is this a common culprit or could there be a crack on the turbo housing?

The turbo hose is the most common hose that splits, have you not noticed loss of power?:confused:

The intercooler can split and is a common issue.

Actually I should retract that last comment about power loss.
I took the car out today, I dont drive it often and yes, there is loss of performance.
I`ve checked all hoses around the turbo itself, noise coming from "lower area of turbo," found no faults, splits or damage to seals or hoses etc.
Any ideas as to common or possible leaks in this area????
Thanks.

Actually I should retract that last comment about power loss.
I took the car out today, I dont drive it often and yes, there is loss of performance.
I`ve checked all hoses around the turbo itself, noise coming from "lower area of turbo," found no faults, splits or damage to seals or hoses etc.
Any ideas as to common or possible leaks in this area????
Thanks.

Sorry not my department, but i do know split hoses can be difficult to spot. How about manifold gasket?

BlackC55
You mentioned about the intercooler being a common issue.
The noise has jsut got louder today, sounds like an electric sander with the whooshing sound.
It seems like its nearer the front of the car under the radiator, which I beleive is the approx`location of the intercooler.
What signs should I look for or will it be obvious on inspection?
Thanks.

Look for oil being blown out of any hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom