Loud Thumping Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jetbags

Car
S500e
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice from those that may have encountered the same problem.

Driving back along the motorway and suddenly developed a loud thumping sound, seemingly coming from under the centre console area of the car, really bad vibration also.
At first i thought i had a puncture as the thumping sound had a recurring rythem, this faded as the speed was reduced but still evident at low speed.

On stopping to check, it appeared that all tyres were fully inflated and good, which i was really surprised at as i was convinced it was a flat. So, anyone have any ideas what this could be ?
While driving i switched the car over to battery only driving to eliminate the engine as being the cause, even with the engine off the thumping sound was still there.... so not the engine (Thank God!)

Any thoughts or explanations gratefully accepted..... it's a 2016 S Class 500e L by the way.

Sounds like a problem with the propshaft which needs immediate investigation for safety reasons.

Prop shaft seams the obvious, but also have a look at any under body covers that might be loose, it could just be osculating in the wind as you drive.

I thought that also, am i right in thinking that there is a centre bearing joint on the propshaft? I have booked the car into the local garage for investigation. It's only just come out of the garage as i had the entire breaking system replaced, new disks, pads, bearings, hubs, the whole lot......

Prop shaft seams the obvious, but also have a look at any under body covers that might be loose, it could just be osculating in the wind as you drive.
I wasnot aware that these had any underbody trays fitted... that's definately something to look at, Cheers.

Sounds like a problem with the propshaft which needs immediate investigation for safety reasons.
I thought that also, am i right in thinking that there is a centre bearing joint on the propshaft? I have booked the car into the local garage for investigation. It's only just come out of the garage as i had the entire breaking system replaced, new disks, pads, bearings, hubs, the whole lot......

Don't know if it has a centre bearing or not but it probably has.
May be innocuous as some loose body work but as it seems to be so constant, I'd suspect the propshaft. Does the vibration intensity vary on/off throttle?

Don't know if it has a centre bearing or not but it probably has.
May be innocuous as some loose body work but as it seems to be so constant, I'd suspect the propshaft. Does the vibration intensity vary on/off throttle?
Not really, its always there no matter what speed, only really reduces at very low speed (10-15mph) I'm leaning towards it being the propshaft.
Then again, could it be something as silly as one of the wheels becoming out of balance? This car is seeing far too much garage time since i have owned it ! if it was not for the fact its such a great car i would have binned it by now!!

If you are Jason Statham posting under an alias, have you checked the boot for French policemen?

Or baddies? 😉

Not really, its always there no matter what speed, only really reduces at very low speed (10-15mph)
Not really the answer I was looking for. On/off throttle is the torque going through the propshaft independent of speed. I'd expect a defective propshaft's vibration to intensify under load.
If the frequency of the noise and vibration increase linearly with speed, (steadily - not erratically) then propshaft is likely culprit. You will soon know when it's been to the garage. Propshafts are not something to take liberties with - a broken one can do a lot of damage.

Jetbags ...Looks like a trip to the dealers for your car .not much info on battery cars to be gleaned off the forum its early days .But sounds like the prop shaft rubber coupling if they still use them . But i remember a noise like this after a visit to our local supermarket .The noise gained speed as we drove along ..I got out expecting to find a puncture but nothing .Drove home and asked the war depot to drive the car slow as i looked at the wheels in turn then i saw this mass stuck on the rear wheel .Took a scraper to it and found it was a large squashed bag of Harebo sweets .It was in the summer and it took ages to get the liquid contents off the wheel .Hope its an easy fix for you .

Similar to the above a friend picked up a sheet of plastic that got caught up on the prop and partly melted on the exhaust. Bits were slapping against the underbody..

Jetbags ...Looks like a trip to the dealers for your car .not much info on battery cars to be gleaned off the forum its early days .But sounds like the prop shaft rubber coupling if they still use them . But i remember a noise like this after a visit to our local supermarket .The noise gained speed as we drove along ..I got out expecting to find a puncture but nothing .Drove home and asked the war depot to drive the car slow as i looked at the wheels in turn then i saw this mass stuck on the rear wheel .Took a scraper to it and found it was a large squashed bag of Harebo sweets .It was in the summer and it took ages to get the liquid contents off the wheel .Hope its an easy fix for you .
Well, of all the answers you can expect, i was not expecting that !! It's definately not Harribo, but i take your point. Car is now at the garage so fingers crossed its something simple.

Not really the answer I was looking for. On/off throttle is the torque going through the propshaft independent of speed. I'd expect a defective propshaft's vibration to intensify under load.
If the frequency of the noise and vibration increase linearly with speed, (steadily - not erratically) then propshaft is likely culprit. You will soon know when it's been to the garage. Propshafts are not something to take liberties with - a broken one can do a lot of damage.
Yep, just had that exact conversation with the mechanic, he feels it more likely a prop issue, car will get a full once over to establish everything that needs doing. Unfortunately i am one of those people that demand everything must work perfectly before i will drive it, it winds me up when things are not as they should be ! Car is now in the garage so lets wait and see with fingers crossed.

Propshaft centre bearings, more specifically their rubber mountings, are a common failure across many makes of vehicle. I had a Series 1 XJ6 which needed it replacing (loud banging on the transmission tunnel when accelerating), and Porsche Cayennes are famous for it, as are their Volkswagen equivalents. Luckily it's not a big job replacing it.

Well, its a mixture of good and bad news from the garage.
Yes, it was the propshaft center bearing that had failed, badly. Not only had it failed but in doing so had taken the entire housing and some other bits and pieces with it also!

So, parts are on order with a minimum of 5 day delivery from Germany, which considering Christmas is but only a few days away..... means the car will not be back on the road until the new year at the earliest. Luckily all the parts are available, can be delivered and the car repaired back to its perfect condition with little drama inbetween, just a ball ache that it is going to take longer than first thought.
Thank you to all of you guys who pitched in with advice, as usual you were all spot on with your diagnosis.

Merry Crimbo and Happy New Year !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom